Exercises FROM bed

Options
I will be having surgery at the end of June on my ankle to repair a shredded tendon & reconstruct my foot. I will be bed ridden for at least 2 weeks. Can anyone suggest some exercises that I can do?

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Look up chair exercises. Lots you can do from bed or a chair and very low impact!

Get well soon!
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You can do some shadow boxing. You can get a pretty good cardio workout just punching the air :)
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you'll be able to do them, but I do floor exercises on the bed. Sit ups, leg lifts, that sort of thing.
  • ToeTapN
    ToeTapN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Pilates might work.
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You may be able to do some stretches and things like sit ups or crunches, depending on if you can do them without moving/compromising your ankle. Aside from that you could do some light weights for your arms, maybe 2-5 lbs if you are able to. You could try toe touches, as long as you are careful! Maybe you could just occupy yourself with something low impact that will still burn calories, like knitting or writing, reading or some sort of arts & crafts?
  • RobMacca1
    RobMacca1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i feel for you.

get a dumbell next to your bed, bi and tri curls, chest press, sit ups, pelvic floor exercises (in bed), tighten everything up hold for 1 min then relax

best of luck
  • s_ballchic_2
    Options
    lol, its bad to say this, lol... but sex is always a good workout :-)
    :smile:
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    focus on your arms!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    lol, its bad to say this, lol... but sex is always a good workout :-)
    :smile:

My husband will definitely agree with you on this one.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    You have lots of good ideas already. When you are doing arm exercises, think in 90 degree angles -- shoulders, elbows and even wrists at 90 degrees - this activates both agonists and antagonists at once. At the same time, tuck your butt and flatten the small of your back against the bed to also activate lots of abs.

Good luck!
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Poor you, I am recovering from a broken leg, so feel your frustration!

I found I could do my friend's Davina DVD from sitting on the sofa. And weights with your arms of course.

But I hate to say it, mostly you should just be focusing on getting your leg better ;)