Way over on sugar but under on calories?

Options
toez79
toez79 Posts: 63 Member
Is the MFP sugar limit just a suggestion? I didn't use to track it in my diary, but recently added sugar and sodium. I will be at or under my calories for the day, but have blown way past sugar. And it's just from fruit. Do I need to address this to move forward with weight loss? I don't really want to give up fruit because of the health benefits and I'm not overeating on calories in general.
Thanks for letting me know what you think!

Replies

• liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    MFP's limit is too low, i think
    i went on another website to see my daily recommendations for calorie intake and sugar intake, and the sugar was realllllly low on MFP. that website suggested me to eat around 60 g of sugar but on MFP, it suggests around 35?
    plus, fruit has good kind of sugar, so dont worry about it!
  • jasmin1310
    jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat and would like to know... so bump.
  • toez79
    Options
    Yeah my MFP limit is 24, and I easily exceed that with just a couple pieces of fruit. Thanks for the response!
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, and I have been wondering the same thing. I go waaaaay over on sugar, but if I just stop and just subtract out the sugar from fruit, I am way under.

o_O
  • angechilada
    angechilada Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's a suggestion, but it's based on research. Even though fruit does have vitamins, consuming lots of fruit isn't beneficial for losing weight because SUGAR is still SUGAR. If you want the "health benefits", just eat green vegetables, and keep fruit to a minimum. Berries (for the most part) have the least amount of sugar per serving. Also, eating sugar/simple carbs makes your blood sugar spike and then drop, which gives you the sensation of feeling hungry. That's probably why they recommend a certain level of sugar.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I quit tracking my sugars on MFP because it doesn't break down fruit vs a marshmallow. The way they hit on the glycemic index is still high - but I know I'm making a better choice with an apple or orange vs a cookie or marshmallow. So without being able to tell the difference between natural and processed, I opted out of trackng sugar as it just frustrated me. I'm careful about my food choices but shouldn't feel guilty about having an apple daily that pushes me over.
  • angechilada
    Options
    lol at "fruit has the good kind of sugar". That is complete bull****. Just saying. Your body might use the sugar beneficially if you have a moderate amount before/after a workout, but having tons of fruit on a day where you're doing no physical activity is almost as bad as eating candy. Vitamin and fiber-infused candy.
  • MamaByGrace8
    MamaByGrace8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this topic up. I need to address this in my own diet. :-/
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Fruits are high in natural sugars, which often makes the sugar content in our diets look off the charts. However, you don't really have to worry about them, it's only additive sugars that you should be steering clear from. If you can try and spread your fruits out throughout the day, you should be fine. Right now I am eating 2 fruits a day, but I don't think the sugars from any amount will really make or break your diet/lifestyle change.
  • DebbieHarryxxx
    Options
    I took that out of my daily intakes...the -80 or so was annoying!! haha - i love fruit, and since taking it off it has done me no harm what so ever, if i had a banana and an apple in one day it would go wayyy over, it really frustrated me! i took it off and have no regrets (she types munching a pear lol!)
  • toez79
    Options
    Haha I was thinking about just taking it back out. ;)
    Another side to the question - is it bad to be getting way more fiber than your MFP suggestion? It's the same thing, I get a ton of fiber in my allowed calories, and I assume it can't be a bad thing.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well put Angechilada! I always though that fruit sugar and processed sugar were different and didn't really pay attention...then realized I wasn't losing weight. I started cutting down my sugar to the recommended 32g a day (plus if I earn any back) and shed 4 pounds in 4 weeks (I'm looking to shed that last 10 pounds, well 5 now LOL). Sugar makes a HUGE difference and turns straight to fat, even if there are some vitamins that come along with it. I still go over about once a week (I need dessert with my cheat meal) but overall I keep that number LOW! If you can it'll make a huge difference :o)
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    nah your body handles natural sugars in fruit (combined with fibre) waaaay differently to unnatural added fructose in a chocolate bar (for example)
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It's okay to be over on natural sugars like in fruits and vegetables, but added sugars like in yogurt, instant oatmeal, protein bars and cereals are where you have to watch.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I quit tracking my sugars on MFP because it doesn't break down fruit vs a marshmallow. The way they hit on the glycemic index is still high - but I know I'm making a better choice with an apple or orange vs a cookie or marshmallow. So without being able to tell the difference between natural and processed, I opted out of trackng sugar as it just frustrated me. I'm careful about my food choices but shouldn't feel guilty about having an apple daily that pushes me over.

I'm with you, As long as it's fruit and not junk. Just don't get completely outta control and only eat fruit all day. Natural sugar is a good thing
  • wg2011
    wg2011 Posts: 4
    Options
    You are correct. Your facts are right on target. Cut carbs aand sugars to see weight go down then work on what needs to be done to maintain, by adding small amounts of each. unfortunate most people suffer at weight control because they either dont understand the effect of sugar or are being misinformed.
  • angechilada
    Options
    The actual recommended amount of fiber for women is something like 25g…I think MFP has it much lower. Fiber is good because it can make you feel full and also helps with regular…movements. Hahaha. So yes, but getting too much fiber can have the opposite effect. Most people don't consume that much fiber on a daily basis so it probably shouldn't be an issue. :)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    lol at "fruit has the good kind of sugar". That is complete bull****. Just saying. Your body might use the sugar beneficially if you have a moderate amount before/after a workout, but having tons of fruit on a day where you're doing no physical activity is almost as bad as eating candy. Vitamin and fiber-infused candy.

YAY!!!
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. MFP says I can have 24g of sugar a day. That is nothing! I just went from being vegeterian for 15 years to being a vegan (was sick of not losing weight from eating dairy--I loveeeeeeeeeed cheese). I was vegan before for 30 days for a contest at work and lost 16 lbs. Anywho, I need fruits and veggies in my life. Doesn't the food pyramid say to eat like 5 fruits/day? I'm confused now.
  • toez79
    Options
    Yeah MFP has my fiber at 14 grams, which I think is too low. Depending on my food that day, I end up closer to 30-40. But anytime I have lowered fiber or tried to cut carbs, I always gain weight. Fiber helps keep me moving and losing, I've noticed. And I try to get most of my fiber from fruits and veggies anyway.
    Did you know a pint of raspberries has 20 grams of fiber!?!?