Help!!Why do I get so sleepy after exercise?

Options
I have just started swimming for exercise. I love it, i don't feel like I am pushing too hard but for the rest of the day I feel soooooo sleepy. not physically tired or spent, just sleepy....

Help!!!

Replies

• RCMILLER2
    RCMILLER2 Posts: 38
    Options
    Are you eating enough and drinking enough water? If you dont get enough food and water you body can get sleepy as a way to telling you it needs more fuel.
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    For the WHOLE day?? 'cause I am tired immediately after exercising - for about 30 mins or so. Then the energy kicks in and I'm great!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't know whybbut swimming always does that to me, too!
  • fatKisses
    fatKisses Posts: 11
    Options
    OMG that use to happen to me... I never knew why thought. Lately, that's all I've been doing is drinking plenty of water and haven't had that issue.
  • cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    Swimming in general makes you tired. When my kids were younger and played sports, we could not go swimming on game days because they drug their butts out there!! And the coach ALWAYS knew that we had gone swimming. Not sure what causes it but it does.... lol good luck!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Blood sugar drops after strenuous workouts and can make you really tired. Eat some fruit after or drink a small glass of OJ. Helps me bigtime!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree with the drop in blood sugar answer. Swimming is more of an exercise than most people think because it's also a lot of fun.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    exercise makes me sleepy too! especially swimming but either way I cant work out in the mornings unless I have time for a nap. My doctor attributed it to low thyroid.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I had that problem too - once I decided to build muscle, I started having a recovery smoothie right after my workout. Usually a protein powder and some fruit blended up in my Vitamix, or just plain ol' Vega Sport in a shaker cup. I don't have the sleepy problem any longer. I'm thinking it must've been a blood sugar drop or something? Esp. since my morning workout is almost always done on an empty stomach or less than 100 cals. in my system...(otherwise I get very barfy). :drinker: