Breakfast HALP

Options
I need easy, light, and most importantly nutritious breakfast ideas!! I've always struggled with breakfast- food in the morning makes me feel gaggy. I usually can't eat until around noon. Obviously this needs to change! This morning I had a glass of milk, an apple, and 2 T of peanut butter.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't eat breakfast. No need to force yourself to.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There is another pretty active thread going right now for breakfast ideas. You might try looking there for ideas.

But if you don't like eating breakfast and it makes you feel gross, why does that need to change?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're not a breakfast person, breakfast isn't required for health or weight loss (barring any medical issues). If you feel okay without breakfast then it's okay to skip it.

If you want ideas though, there are about 4 breakfast posts on the top of the recent posts this morning. You'll probably find some ideas in those.
  • MommaSwarts
    MommaSwarts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I stick to protein shakes. Not a huge Advocare fan, but they're meal replacement shakes are delicious; or even slim fast. I purchased an off brand this time. I just look for "slim" which is a leaner protein with the most protein I can pack in. Pairing a shake with a banana is a good start for me without eating too many calories or having to make a huge breakfast. I'm not much of a eater first thing, and my time is limited with little ones. If not, try drinking a big glass of water as soon as you get up too!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat it if you don't want to, it doesn't matter to weight loss what time you eat.

However, if there's a good reason for you to eat breakfast (you're feeling sluggish in a morning workout, for example, or you're ravenous at lunch, or whatever...personally, I hate breakfast but I feel way more awake when I eat something so I try to manage something), you might want to try something liquid like a smoothie or protein shake if you like that kind of thing. I just have a protein bar, water, and coffee, as it's easy to eat, gives me energy, and is super quick.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diabetics eat on a schedule, so breakfast is very important. If diabetes is not a concern only weight loss, you can eat like you always have, watching portions of course.
  • neenbeck
    neenbeck Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm new to this forum so I was unaware of the breakfast threads. I will definitely check them out.

I DO want to eat breakfast because I've found that I eat less at night if I eat in the AM. I'm one of those late night snackers- trying to curb that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do you like going for a latte in the morning? You might be able to drink your breakfast. A lot of calories really fast.

If you want to go for filling, try overnight oats or regular oatmeal for breakfast.
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I eat....
    1/4 cup (dry) oatmeal...when cooked comes out to about 1 cup
    1 hard boiled egg or fried egg whites
    1/2 a banana

Surprisingly enough it's very filling.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat breakfast, my regular is one medium banana and a large hard boiled egg for a breakfast of 183 calories.
  • neenbeck
    neenbeck Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Excellent ideas!!!!!! Thanks, guys!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I eat at work so I eat things that are easy to make. I often eat cereal mixed with cottage cheese or yogurt (I don't like milk). I like Cinnamon Chex or Cascadian Farms Cinnamon Crunch for a little sweetness without a lot of added calories, or you can add fruit. The Chex is gluten free and enriched, if those things matter to you. Sometimes I change things up with egg whites cooked in the microwave (I use cooker specifically for the microwave, but I think you can also use a mug). I will bring chopped spinach and/or bell pepper to throw in and usually add a slice of cheese. A container of whites is easy to store in the fridge and measure out portions. You can put on english muffin and make a sandwich. I don't eat much bread so I don't usually.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A few of my regular breakfasts (eaten at my desk at work):

1. 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2 Jenny-O turkey sausage links
    2. 1/2 cup Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup cereal mixed in
    3. 1 serving Oatmeal (I like steel cut & regular) with either peanut butter or chopped walnuts mixed in
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I swim in the mornings so eat 1/2 a whole wheat English muffin with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter and a dash of flax seed. I eat the other half afterwards. I've found that the carbs & protein give me the energy I need and keeps me full until lunch.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is a protein waffle (with Walden Farms syrup) and Canadian bacon. It generally helps me get a little energy going & keeps me full until lunch.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I like making an egg non-McMuffin with a whole-grain English muffin by breaking the yolk and cooking the egg in the micorwave, toasting the English muffin, adding cheese and Canadian bacon, ooooh la la! And less than 400 calories!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are a super easy breakfast. Mix it all up in a jar the night before (some can sit for 2 days and still be good), add something crunchy in the morning if you want, and done. The one I've made recently comes out to about 200 calories, and it only goes higher if I add in more banana. I added some mini chocolate chips & coconut today and it was PERFECT - and still under 300 calories.

http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/223

I also will scramble 6 or so eggs with some shredded cheese, spinach and/or sausage, divide those into 6 muffin cups (spray with olive oil spray first) and bake! Added bonus? They'll keep in the refrigerator all week or you can freeze them, too. I've done what @atypicalsmith does and made "egg mcmuffins" and, again, super delish.

Specifics are here (they use both eggs & egg whites; I prefer the 6 whole eggs).: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/egg-muffins-with-sausage-spinach-and-cheese/

~Lyssa
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    i skip breakfast about 80% of the week.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If I do end up eating breakfast, it will be 2 eggies scrambled with some onions, feta, and a half of a vegan chipotle sausage. It is really good, I swear! My meat eating fiance requests some of it as well. I usually don't make/eat breakfast because I'm too busy, so I will usually eat a lunch of a whole wheat english muffin, 2 tofurkey slices, tomato, sprouts, 1 eggy, and sometimes a spread of mashed avocado
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of problems with nausea in the morning, so I keep things pretty simple. I'll either eat oatmeal with just a little brown sugar, or a couple of scrambled eggs. If I really don't feel like eating much at all, I keep Ensure protein shakes in the house and drink one of those.