Calories??

Options
Hi all
Im new to this and never done a diet where you count calories, please can somebody give me some low calorie food deas for lunch and tea, basic things, please just to give me a few things to start with!!
thanks nat x

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Turkey, and veggies for lunch. I recommend avoiding bread, cookies, and baked good. They're empty calories, and just too hard to resist. For tea time, fruit with your tea?
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I swear by my cheap costco bought lunch. I buy the big package of thomas's bagel thins, everything bagel flavor, which is 110 calories for the entire thing. I pick up the package of sargento cheese--avg calories in a slice of this package is 80 calories. I pick a meat I like for the month, usually around 40-50 calories per serving--chicken, roast beef, pepper turkey, ham--whatever I feel like. And use 5 calorie mustard and no mayo. I prefer the sandwich on the bagel toasted. Totals out to 240 calories for the sandwich. Then if I'm still hungry I have a piece of fruit, or a salad, or a fiberone bar. With the additional food I'm usually STUFFED.

Costco/grocery list:
    Thomas' bagel thins (you can also do orowheat sandwich thins, but they're less filling)
    Sargento cheese multi pack
    meat of choice
  • beckbop
    beckbop Posts: 75
    Options
    i tend to have chicken and salad for tea :) really fills you up and you can have quite a lot of salad.
    pasta is also good to add in because a little bit goes a long way :)

home made soup is really good aswell! fills you up so much and there isnt lots of calories in it :)

good luck! X
  • karikariboberry
    karikariboberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have poached eggs on toast for breakfast in the morning, its very filling!, Just look at the calorie content on the bread because there are huge differences!
    Snacks include carrots, cucumber and dip, apples everyday, and when I have a cup of tea at night I pair it with a couple lower-cal cookies, such as arrowroots (baby cookies), they make me feel like i'm not missing out!
    homemade soups for lunch mostly, not cream soups obviously!
    I try to input everything in the morning to help keep me on track throughout the day
    Hope this helps a bit!
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just eat the things you normally would and learn to cut down and youll soon learn yourself what works for you and what doesnt. If you want chocolate the by all means just have it in moderation.

Good Luck :D
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was always told that potatoes are bad, but I eat lots of them now. Baked potatoes with steamed mushrooms and broccoli, some salt and pepper. Very satisfying. Potatoes are only 110 calories for a medium spud, and that's a filling meal. No margarine of course, but measure any other toppings carefully, like cheese or sour cream (I choose the nondairy type). A little can really go a long way.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    And pickles! A great snack! No calories for dill pickles or the sugar-free sweet kind.
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    cut out most of your carbs, especially simple sugars, and you'll be amazed at how much actual food you can eat. eat lots of veggies and other food with lots of fiber, and eat lots of protein because those will all fill you up and keep you full longer
  • EA1604
    EA1604 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just eat the things you normally would and learn to cut down and youll soon learn yourself what works for you and what doesnt. If you want chocolate the by all means just have it in moderation.

Good Luck :D

Totally agreed. Don't try and do a drastic change and throw all the stuff in your fridge out, log what you are going to eat before you eat it and see if it makes sense for your calorie goal. You will figure out what foods you want to eat and what foods you can do without. Good Luck!
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was always told that potatoes are bad, but I eat lots of them now. Baked potatoes with steamed mushrooms and broccoli, some salt and pepper. Very satisfying. Potatoes are only 110 calories for a medium spud, and that's a filling meal. No margarine of course, but measure any other toppings carefully, like cheese or sour cream (I choose the nondairy type). A little can really go a long way.

I try to avoid all food that is white (with the exception of cauliflower). White foods are almost totally nutritionally void and just a source of empty calories. Instead of a baked potato, try a baked sweet potato or make mashed potatoes but replace the potatoes with cauliflower.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits & veggies. My lunch always has some sort of veggie side. Avoid calorie laden dressings (or measure only a small amount) - these add up so quickly.

Low fat meats - chicken or tuna are good on whole grain bread.

Broth based soups with pasta or rice can be filling (steer clear of creamy soups).

Keep it simple - as a previous posted said - baked goods can be very high in empty calories - be careful with these.

Greek yogurt is WONDERFUL! High protein - lower carb. This is basically strained yogurt. Straining helps reduce tartness you will need far less sweetener than regular yogurt - and it's creamy as well.
  • natillypooch
    Options
    Wow what a response everyody thakyou very much they all help loads, thats fab, what a support xx