The Potato: Friend or Foe?

Options

Replies

• JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My breakfast this AM was a baked potato cup w/ egg, cheese, bacon & scallion!
    kqvyihbp96dz.jpg

Also a big fan of diced & baked homefries!

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    kqvyihbp96dz.jpg

Oh damn, that looks GOOD!! I never thought of stuffed taters as a breakfast food!!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's a rare treat. They spike my blood sugar way too much for me to make an everyday (or even weekly) thing. My mother makes the worst mashed potatoes (literally nothing but potatoes blended together with a tiny bit of milk -they're so bland), so I'm really picky about the ones I want to calorie count for.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lays_0621.jpg
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love 'em. They have some good nutrients and are a way to get some carbs in my diet. I roll them up in tin foil with some chopped garlic and roast em in the oven. When I take them out, I put a teaspoon of butter in and some fresh chopped chives. Buddy that up with a green veg and a lean protein and I am happy.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kqvyihbp96dz.jpg

That looks amazing!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I like them, especially fingerling potatoes and red potatoes (with the skin on). I'm a fan of the sweet potato as well, and they make great fries. I don't eat them all that often, though, because I also like rice and go with rice more often.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I just had a baked sweet potato topped with Chobani simply 100 pineapple yogurt and some cinnamon. Weird combo....but it worked.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Sweet taters be all yummy and junk.

Cinnamon added to it. A little butter.

Makes for a good carb dense meal before a long cardio event

It is just fuel for the machine
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Friend for sure. Aside from the fact that they are loaded with vitamins, like you said. A 5.2 ounce Yukon Gold potato is only 100 calories, which is less than a cup of brown rice at 216 calories. Plus they are delicious. Taters for the win:-)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I love all potatoes! Yummy, filling, cheap and nutritious.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The friendliest. And, I prefer white potatoes to sweet (though both are good). No one can take my potatoes away from me!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why a potato would be the enemy? ( unless the person had a medical condition)
    I love potatoes, and like all foods , I eat them in moderation. If it fits into my day, then I'll take a potato for sure !
  • mdjones325
    mdjones325 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Foe. Simple starches that are quickly simple sugars in the body.

But they sure are tasty. It isn't a cheat day without some home-cut fries.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't care enough about them to be either way. Sort of a "meh" food.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I <3 potatoes!!!
  • rbee2015
    rbee2015 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Friend! My trainer is shredded to the max and she eats sweet potatoes every day.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I confess I don't think I've ever cooked a potato for myself...I've been considering it lately. How many grams do you find a medium potato to usually be? Ball park?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I confess I don't think I've ever cooked a potato for myself...I've been considering it lately. How many grams do you find a medium potato to usually be? Ball park?

I usually cook the hubs about a 140-gram potato or so for his dinner. That's about what I used when I did my last breakfast potato (making the bowl and putting the egg in - then topping with cheese and what not) so good.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

I usually cook the hubs about a 140-gram potato or so for his dinner. That's about what I used when I did my last breakfast potato (making the bowl and putting the egg in - then topping with cheese and what not) so good.

So about 200 for a potato? That's about what I assumed I think.