1300 calorie diet. Good?

Options
Eagles8080
Eagles8080 Posts: 197 Member
i am 6'3 277 pounds.
Currently doing 10k steps plus phentermine plus 1300 cal diet. I feel great. Is this healthy?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can eat a lot more and lose weight. What did MFP give you when you entered your stats?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    The minimum a male should eat is 1500 calories net.
    Enter your stats into mfp and eat up to your calorie goal. You don't want to end up losing muscle mass unnecessarily due to under-eating. I'm a female half your size and I can eat more than 1300 calories and lose weight...
  • HildieMe
    HildieMe Posts: 41 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Bashore98, congratulations on taking on a big task with enthusiasm. I think arditarose is right, you can eat a lot more and still lose. 1300 cal is not a whole lot of food, and your body will fight back after the "honeymoon" period.
    There are a few guys on MFP who can tell you more: try finding "IHAD" on MFP (he lost 145 lbs, certainly a lot more than you want to lose). Among my MFP friends is a guy named "dubist" who also lost over 100. Send them a friend request! Best of luck on your journey.
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1300 calories is great! For me.....a 5'2" female who is lightly active and eats back the majority of her exercise calories. Don't try to starve yourself to lose weight, because it certainly isn't neccessary.
  • Eagles8080
    Options
    Great advice. I guess since i take phentermine it makes me not hungry and 1300 cal is pretty easy. I will aim for 1500.
  • evn2fitness
    evn2fitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bashore98 wrote: »
    Great advice. I guess since i take phentermine it makes me not hungry and 1300 cal is pretty easy. I will aim for 1500.
    Do you feel any side effects?
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You need to eat enough so you can have energy after burning some. If you eat too low calories you re gonna lose muscle
  • Eagles8080
    Options
    No i have no side effects from phentermine other than decrease in appetite. I think before phentermine i was eating like 4000 calories per day. Now i am ar 1300 to 1500 per day
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I aim for 1300 net calories, and I'm a 6'1" male...

...of course, I also had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy, and frequently go over that number anyway. And I take vitamin supplements to make up for the nutrients that I am probably not getting. And I'm under the supervision of a physician (though admittedly, that physician has not had to do anything -- according to all tests, I am as healthy as I've ever been).

So, you can definitely be healthy at that calorie count (though not indefinitely -- that is a "rapid weight loss" calorie intake, not a "maintain a healthy weight" calorie intake). You will lose some muscle. To be honest, you will lose some muscle during rapid weight loss no matter how you go about it! You can minimize that muscle loss with regular strength training exercise, along with lots of protein and good nutrition.

I would not recommend that you eat so little without medical supervision. If you decide to do so anyway, I would recommend that you eat *extremely well*, with a focus on getting enough protein and calcium. You are basically doing a post-op diet, except without the supervision of a physician... take a multivitamin, eat a varied diet, watch for signs that something is not right.