Why do I see body builders eating less than me?

Options
I am very underweight right now. I lost my brother 6 months ago and lost weight. I am not about 20lbs underweight and have been trying to gain for a few months. I have been eating 1900-2100 a day. (1900 on days I just am not hungry at all) Yes I am using a food scale and I weight and measure everything accurately.

I eat about 110-130g protein a day and not much carbs. I only exercise 5 days a week for an hour either on the elliptical or yoga.

I see all these people 20-60lbs heavier than me eating only 1500 to maintain. There is a body builder I saw on here who looks incredible with huge muscles and she has an open diary and is only eating 1500 a day as far back as you go?? How can this be? How can one person at a higher weight maintain and gain lean muscle on 1500 when I cannot even gain on 2000? It makes me question whether metabolisms REALLY are the same for each person (of same body mass, height, etc). I should not be able to maintain 20lbs underweight on this level. If I were to eat what others eat or what the calculators say are my maintenance I would lose weight. I lost to this weight by eating 1300 following the same exercise regime. I see others on 1500 calorie diets for longer than I was and they don't end up as sickly thin as me?! It is just frustrating because I want to eat more but have trouble because I hate eating when I'm not hungry because food doesn't taste good.

What do you guys think about differences in metabolism? Do you believe there can be from person to person, or do you think it follows a strict formula?

(Just a random thought: When you think of the science behind it. Doesn't it really matter how efficiently your cells can make energy from glucose via cellular respiration? There is a huge variation in how many ATP a cell can make from glucose, and the rest of the energy is lost by heat. I think it is possible some peoples cells are less efficient than others (leading to a higher BMR).)

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that person could be cutting??

Her age, weight, how tall this person is, her workouts, etc. factors in what people eat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sometimes at the end of cutting when a bodybuilder is close to a show they will eat very low calorie. Part of it could be that they started cutting too close to a show and part of it could be a variety of metabolic adaptations.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    it could be they aren't accurately using MFP, i sometimes only log half days or partial days just to see what a particular meal is. not everyone logs accurately.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    it could be they aren't accurately using MFP, i sometimes only log half days or partial days just to see what a particular meal is. not everyone logs accurately.

That's another good point. If she's a bodybuilder she may have a meal plan and logs partially just to make sure she meets specific goals or minimums.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ^^

I've been known to track up until dinner, just to see where I'm at on protein, so I know if I need steak or french toast (or whatever) for dinner. I haven't done that in a while, and I'm not a bodybuilder, but it's the same idea.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    1 - they could be cutting
    2 - they may be under-reporting...i don't log anymore, but when I did for maintenance, I very often wouldn't report everything...I used my diary at that point to basically say, "sweet...I'm at 2,000 calories...I can have a kick *kitten* dinner tonight and a beer and not sweat it."

also, you would have to consider other activity variables...a lot of bodybuilder types don't do much cardio...they're not going to have the calorie requirements of someone who, for example, participates in endurance events.

Yes, people's metabolisms differ, but not that much...couple hundred calories. There are outliers of course, but those are the exception and often there are other metabolic issues and health issues going on.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Examine has a pretty good write up about the question of metabolism varying between two different people.
    Essentially, no, there aren't huge differences in basal metabolic rate, even for people of differing heights and masses. There are rare outliers with some kind of condition, but chances are low the difference in BMR between two people explains differences in outcome.
    http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
    One study[1] noted that one standard deviation of variance for resting metabolic rate (how many calories are burnt by living) was 5-8%; meaning 1 standard deviation of the population (68%) was within 6-8% of the average metabolic rate. Extending this, 2 standard deviations of the population (96%) was within 10-16% of the population average.[1]

Extending this into practical terms and assuming an average expenditure of 2000kcal a day, 68% of the population falls into the range of 1840-2160kcal daily while 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily. Comparing somebody at or below the 5th percentile with somebody at or above the 95th percentile would yield a difference of possibly 600kcal daily, and the chance of this occurring (comparing the self to a friend) is 0.50%, assuming two completely random persons.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Also, she might not being doing as much cardio as you are. From my experience, an hour of cardio is going to burn a lot more calories during that hour than an hour of lifting.
  • senecarr
    Options
    (Just a random thought: When you think of the science behind it. Doesn't it really matter how efficiently your cells can make energy from glucose via cellular respiration? There is a huge variation in how many ATP a cell can make from glucose, and the rest of the energy is lost by heat. I think it is possible some peoples cells are less efficient than others (leading to a higher BMR).)
    No, mitochondria performing cellular respiration makes 38 ATP per molecule of glucose, in practice some gets lost, but that isn't something that really varies based on mitochondria in a person.
    Just consider, if some people had hyperefficient mitochondria during human evolution, other than the most recent 100 years or so, wouldn't they have a huge survival rate advantage being able to live off less food?
    Human ancestors initially started walking upright over a savings of around 4 calories per km walking on two legs versus chimp style 4 limbed gaits. Evolution is pretty cut throat on these metabolic issues.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    No, mitochondria performing cellular respiration makes 38 ATP per molecule of glucose, in practice some gets lost, but that isn't something that really varies based on mitochondria in a person.
    Just consider, if some people had hyperefficient mitochondria during human evolution, other than the most recent 100 years or so, wouldn't they have a huge survival rate advantage being able to live off less food?
    Human ancestors initially started walking upright over a savings of around 4 calories per km walking on two legs versus chimp style 4 limbed gaits. Evolution is pretty cut throat on these metabolic issues.

Errrrrrrr! I had to go back and read old notes from school. For some reason I have 36 or 38 ATP written down and of course this was many years ago so I can't remember why. This might drive me crazy for the next few hours :)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

Errrrrrrr! I had to go back and read old notes from school. For some reason I have 36 or 38 ATP written down and of course this was many years ago so I can't remember why. This might drive me crazy for the next few hours :)

Eukaryotic cells expend about 2 ATP moving things into the mitochondria (pyruvate for example). So 36 instead of 38.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Examine has a pretty good write up about the question of metabolism varying between two different people.
    Essentially, no, there aren't huge differences in basal metabolic rate, even for people of differing heights and masses. There are rare outliers with some kind of condition, but chances are low the difference in BMR between two people explains differences in outcome.
    http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
    One study[1] noted that one standard deviation of variance for resting metabolic rate (how many calories are burnt by living) was 5-8%; meaning 1 standard deviation of the population (68%) was within 6-8% of the average metabolic rate. Extending this, 2 standard deviations of the population (96%) was within 10-16% of the population average.[1]

Extending this into practical terms and assuming an average expenditure of 2000kcal a day, 68% of the population falls into the range of 1840-2160kcal daily while 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily. Comparing somebody at or below the 5th percentile with somebody at or above the 95th percentile would yield a difference of possibly 600kcal daily, and the chance of this occurring (comparing the self to a friend) is 0.50%, assuming two completely random persons.
    Wow, thanks for this, very interesting.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies your right about the cutting and not logging.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

Actually, now they are teaching (I am in medical school) that it may be closer to only 29, lol who knows.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I enjoyed reading them and hearing what you guys thought.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Actually, now they are teaching (I am in medical school) that it may be closer to only 29, lol who knows.

Thanks! Did a little reading and saw that the number has been revised. Thanks for sharing what is being taught now :)
  • senecarr
    Options

29-30ish represents a typical amount that results after ones are lost to membrane leakage.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration#Aerobic_respiration
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you eat and why do you not eat many? if you mind mind me asking <3
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eating 110-130 protein would equate to around 440 to 520 calories of her total 1900 to 2100 calories. I highly doubt there is a "low carb" equation in these calories...

This sparked my curiosity as well..
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I eat about 110-130g protein a day and not much carbs. I only exercise 5 days a week for an hour either on the elliptical or yoga.

We're the same height and eat very similar calories and i'm maintaining.
    If i wanted to gain weight, i would be eating more Carbs and doing less exercise!