Need help losing weight on a budget

Options
I have been on many diets in the past, never really stuck with them. I would join weight Watchers, or buy a new book, etc. Once the newness wore off I would give up.
Currently I am 215 pounds. 5'4". I also went from working basically 2 full time jobs to working 1 almost full time jobs, so that I could go back to college.
Obviously our budget for everything has been cut. It is just me and my husband. I will be 35 tomorrow, DH is 39 and maybe 35-40 pounds overweight.
Anyway, I am trying to figure out the cheapest without going all ramen and mac n cheese to shop.

Right now I am basically wanting to count calories and exercise at home or walking.

I will probably do eggs and toast and coffee for breakfast a lot, maybe oatmeal as the weather cools off. Lunch and dinner I just feel lost. Any ideas? Tips?
My calorie goal is 1570 a day.

Replies

• ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a budget since my other half and I have just got our first place together. Remember you can eat whatever you want as long as it's in your calorie goal.

Look for deals in the shop, like 3 for 2 etc, buy one get one free.

My day usually looks like:

Breakfast - Oatmeal with a cup of tea
    Lunch - A sandwich, usually with some sort of meat and salad, tea again
    Dinner - Whatever I feel like on the day, just portion control and make sure you have calories left over
    Snacks - Some low fat/low calorie baked crisps or rice cakes, a couple of squares of chocolate, more tea. Apple and peanut butter is also one of my favourite snacks. Or a small amount of cheese, usually a Babybel.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I have to say, a Costco membership is worth it when you want to shop on a budget - 90 eggs for $10, Chicken breast/tenders are average priced, and ground turkey is cheap there.

Otherwise, my go to food stores are Walmart and Aldi. The produce sections get a bad rap, but I found the best way to eat on a budget is to buy things whole and in bulk, then divide as necessary. Some examples - head of cauliflower/cabbage/broccoli, bags of beans, bags of plain rice (white or brown - whichever you prefer), cans of tomato sauce to turn into my own pasta sauce...etc etc find what works for you

I also use Walmarts savings catcher app, and Checkout 51 which saves some cents here and there. I also hunt for coupons before I go shopping.
  • amywah
    amywah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was sitting here making a list and totally did not think of sandwiches for lunch somehow! Thank you. Yes, that is the great thing about counting calories. That is why I chose this way of eating. I need something I can stick to, on a budget.
  • amywah
    Options
    We are actually getting an Aldi's this fall! Finally! We do have Walmart. My husband really prefers we don't get our meat there due to a few bad experiences. I will try to be diligent about watching for sales on meat. We do not have Costco but do have Sam's. We may get a membership again once we have the room in the budget.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    um - eat what you would normally eat just count calories.. and make sure you get enough protein as if you do not you are more likely to loose muscle as well as fat. the beauty of mfp is that you can eat whatever you want so long as it fits your calories..the results are predicatable

I have eggs and toast and coffee for breakfast, or porridge and yoghurt and coffee, or cereal and yoghurt,
    i have an apple and a protein bar and coffee around morning tea or toast and some sort of protein and an apple, at lunch i have a sandwich and some yoghurt or fruit (and coffee) and afternoon tea i have fruit and some protein, at dinner i have heaps of veges (usually frozen), lean protein, for dessert i might have icecream or yoghurt or fruit

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    amywah wrote: »
    We are actually getting an Aldi's this fall! Finally! We do have Walmart. My husband really prefers we don't get our meat there due to a few bad experiences. I will try to be diligent about watching for sales on meat. We do not have Costco but do have Sam's. We may get a membership again once we have the room in the budget.

Yea I have never gotten meat from Walmart - I heard it tastes like pure salt, same with Target so skip them too. Sam's might be better for meat, but they are just a larger Walmart. If you have some local butchers, you may find that they are cheaper (sometimes). So you can get a whole chicken and divide it yourself, or a whole turkey. Ive done that before - it was a lot of work but definitely saved money and lasted many meals
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I also I'm on a budget and my daily average is:
    for breakfast: oatmeal with PB or sandwich with guacamole and fried egg or veggie scramble eggs, for lunch I eat almost daily 150g of white rice, 4 oz chicken breast and then my veggies ;usually broccoli and culiflower(if you by them frozen is cheaper and last longer) and for dinner I love having a big tuna salad or big tuna sandwich if I didn't have bread in the morning plus my chocolate protein smoothie.

For afternoon snack I just buy any cheap granola with at least 10 g of protein cause quest bar currently dont fit in my budget.

So my shopping list usually Is

-avocado
    eggs/eggwhite
    almond milk
    chicken breast
    ground turkey meat
    cottage chesse
    any whole wheat bread with no more than 60 cals per slice
    rice
    beans
    frozen veggies
    frozen fruit or fresh and then I cut them and freeze them my self
    tuna
    greek yogurt
    mustard

buy just whatever you want and make it fit in your daily calorie/money budget. :)

Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I grew up with my Aunt and she raised me, my brother, sister and took care of my grandmother on a shoe string budget. Chicken wings go for 99 cents a pound, sams should sell 10lb chicken breast for 20$. Frozen vegetables are cheaper never spend more than 2$ a pound unless it is Asparagus. Pasta and sweet/potato should be around 1$ a pound. Learn to cook chilli and seasonings is your best friend. Best regards.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Homemade soup, with veggies and perhaps some macaroni, is super cheap to make and incredibly filling. I get chicken drumsticks or thighs (cheaper than chicken breast, with only a slight difference in calories), skin them and cook them coated in a simple dry spice coating, or a low fat yogurt and spice marinade. If you roast some veg along with sweet potato at the same time, it's a really easy dinner. Big one-pot dishes are usually much better value than individual portioned meals. Make large batches of chili, stews, curry etc, portion out, and freeze.

Meal planning is probably the one piece of advise I'd really, really recommend you take - it completely changes the way I shop, and has saved me so much money. As others have said, Aldi is pretty much the answer to any budget issues! Great quality produce - free range meats, for example, are a fraction of the price compared to the main supermarkets. To be honest, if you have a cut budget, food should be the last thing on your list of things to cut back. IMO, taking out luxuries is the first thing (clothes, restaurants, nights out, alcohol etc), then looking at utilities and seeing if money can be saved there (the answer is usually yes, if you switch), and only then looking at the food budget when everything else has been trimmed. I'm sure you've done this, but I really scour my bank statements, and put every single outgoing under the microscope! But saving money on food has got a lot easier because of the great discount supermarkets.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Surely it should be easier to lose weight on a budget? You have less money to spend on food. Diet fads are just that; fads. You don't need them, they aren't any good. Besides, you shouldn't go on a diet. To actually lose weight and keep it off you have to always be on a diet. It's sad that people just want a quick fix - society is so weak willed.

I don't think anyone actually realised how simple it is. If calories in < calories out you lose weight. If calories in > colouries out, you gain weight.

So, what do you do? You get on the scales after your morning bowel movement and weigh yourself. Every day for a week. You then take the mean of that weeks weights. Then you repeat it. If week one is less than week two, you have gained weight and you need to reduce your caloric intake. If its the other way round, you've lost weight. Keep the calories the same.

You have to repeat this process until you reach your goal.

So, if you can maintain weight or even increase it on a budget , you most certainly can lose it.

As I said. You don't need fads. You don't need so called superfoods. You don't need anything. Just reduce your carbs, drop your calories and hey presto! Weight loss..

You know, from being on this app, I've seen that there is such a huge market for personal trainers, coaches and dieticians.

Now, OP, I'm not trying to have a go, just pointing out how simple it is.

If you don't have accurate scales, go buy a pair. If you don't have food scales, likewise.

If you don't have willpower, become disciplined.

You want to lose weight, there aren't any fairies to wave a magic want and make your adipose tissue dissapear.

Do what I've said above, and you can thank me later..

Best wishes and apologies for any upset possibly caused,

~Soon to be billionaire from marketing 'magic' supplements as a personal trainer and diet coach,

Tom.

PS. It is so simple. I know that it can't feel like that, but it is.. Remember to thank me when you figure it out.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of the "at the end of shelf life" reduced stuff and freeze it. It is always worth checking out the reduced sections of a supermarket. Especially later in the day as they do silly reductions to get rid of it!

I got 7 chicken drumsticks, 2 salmon fillets and 2 plaice fillets, 60p for all of it a couple of weeks ago. Should have been at least £10!

Only downside is you can't guarantee what will be there.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of the "at the end of shelf life" reduced stuff and freeze it. It is always worth checking out the reduced sections of a supermarket. Especially later in the day as they do silly reductions to get rid of it!

I got 7 chicken drumsticks, 2 salmon fillets and 2 plaice fillets, 60p for all of it a couple of weeks ago. Should have been at least £10!

Only downside is you can't guarantee what will be there.
    No guarantees, I agree, but great when you spot something that you know you can make into a great meal. End of day fish is fantastic for cheap purchases. If I don't have immediate plans for it, the fish/meat goes straight into the freezer, and I get it out a week later, when my meal plan has been updated to include it. I do think people are often scared of the freezer, and how the can use it for their food storage but, honestly, once you understand what you can do, it opens up a world of possibilities.

TBH 'ThomasWright1997', I suspect the OP understands CICO principles, and is just stuck thinking of things to do that are healthy, cheap and filling. Rather than making expensive book purchase, or joining even more expensive weight loss groups, online recipes are my way of finding great and varied meals. There's a whole section of this forum dedicated to recipes, and Food/Nutrition - I'd recommend looking at that. My 5 basic 'from scratch' meals that I can churn out blindfolded are - veggie curry, tikka crusted salmon, whole roast chicken with new potatoes and veg, cottage pie, and Thai fish curry. I have tonnes more, but those are my failsafes, and I pretty much always have the ingredients in the fridge or freezer to do them.
  • amywah
    Options
    I truly thank you all. I have gotten a lot of great advice. I am truly thankful. I will be using this info along with some recipes found online to make next weeks meal plan and grocery list.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    also try allrecipes, simplyrecipes or just google budget recipes or healthy budget recipes
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Invest in a huge bag of chicken tenderloins...you can make wraps, pulled chicken sandwiches, stir fry, quesadillas, eat over salads, season and eat with rice/steamed veggies (Seasoning of choice: HIDDEN VALLEY RANCH POWDER = Amazing)..I usually cook up an entire 5 lbs bag and separate it out into 5-7 days of meals... What's great about chicken tenderloin is that they can handle being cooked and reheated later without getting tough! Also, fresh produce is great, but Broccoli/cauliflower from the freezer heats up really well. I usually add a bag of either one when I'm cooking a 1 pot meal (Only takes about 3 minutes to heat through). Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    1. Making food from scratch is cheaper than buying convenience foods - you are being charged for that convenience. Chop chop chop.
    2. A slower cooker is a great way to cook cheaper cuts of meat.
    3. The prices should be good at the stores you mentioned but you can also check supermarket flyers for "loss leaders" - these are sales to get you in the store that should be cheaper than the big box stores.
    4. Produce can be cheaper at farmer's markets, although this may not be true at ones billed exclusively organic or focus on a lot of items other than produce.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Good news! It doesn't cost extra to eat less, and that's all you need to be successful with weight loss. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more, it's cheaper to eat less and it's free to move more :smiley:
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Dried beans can be had for $1 a pound. Rehydrate and cook until done. Add to hamburger meat and make tub of chili with lots of frozen veg. Same with soups, which extend 1/2-1 pound of meat to a gallon of soup/stew/chili. Frozen vegs. Add to the above or sprinkle with cheese. Tub of oatmeal for breakfast. Meatloaf, Beef, Turkey or salmon burgers on bread. Eggs make wonderful meals. quiche, scrambled, egg salad, etc. Eat at home, half the price and calories and your meatloaf won't have 17 ingredients in it.