Water Enhancers? Good or Bad?

Options
rdmitche1
rdmitche1 Posts: 400 Member
I stopped drinking soda (although it was Diet Dr Pepper) over a year ago. I don't drink alcohol, coffee, tea. or milk. I really only drink water, but because just water is boring, I have started using some water enhancers (like Mio) ...is that good or bad??

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You will get different opinions from both the "pure water" only crowd and the "as long as you count any calories, it still hydrates you" crowd.

Personally, I can only drink "so" much plain water. My kids were swiping my mio (or whatever other flavor additive I was using) so I'm drinking lots of herbal tea right now, either hot or cold depending on the weather.

I say if it works for you, go for it. :)
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You'll get all sorts of opinions, but this one is just mine. If it gets you drinking water, roll with it. I like water and take mine unflavored about half the time, but use all manner and sort of add-ins the other half. If I tried to drink 104 ounces of water every day completely without them, I'd go bonkers. I'd also go bonkers if I tried to cut all sugar out of my diet, all red meat, all processed foods, or anything else some folks try for.

Just about anything is acceptable, in moderation.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd say neither good nor bad. They're just flavor. If it helps you drink more water then it is good - but as far as nutrition wise they're nothing. I love Mio personally - I get bored with plain water.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I also get bored with plain water, but I solve that with Sainsbury's basics double strength orange squash. Next to zero nutritional value in it (you need to drink about a litre of it diluted to reach 10 calories and 1g of sugar). Plus it's dirt cheap at 85p a bottle.
  • ferryjl
    ferryjl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What is Mio? Interested in adding something to water as long as no artificial sugars or calories!! Thx
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I use Mio and the other water flavors - some are very tasty with no real adverse events. The Mio sport is a cheaper alternative to other sports drinks.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ferryjl wrote: »
    What is Mio? Interested in adding something to water as long as no artificial sugars or calories!! Thx

:huh:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't add anything to my water, but I don't care if you do. If you want to drink it, drink it! :)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

This is where I use herbal teas. Fruit tinsanes can be naturally sweet, but I don't have a problem adding stevia if I want it a bit sweeter.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Mio is a small bottle of concentrated artificial flavors, colors, and sugar that you add to your water ...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Like with anything else it's important to read the labels. There's a large variety of these out there now, so looking to see what they contain is a good idea.

Also, you can flavor your water with lemon juice (or just the peel), cucumbers, fruit (if you prefer sweetness). There are unlimited ways to flavor water naturally. I also have a large mint plant in my backyard that I use to flavor both my water and my tea.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I hate plain water... I tried really hard to drink it when I first started. I did really well actually... but after 91 days of this, I am truly so sick of water! So I use the drink enhancers. Be careful which you use. Only because some have calories and some don't. If you use the ones w/ calories make sure to log it. I use Mio and so far all the ones I've tried have zero calories, but I still measure and log how much I use just because I am OCD like that, LOL!
    I will sometimes include diet tea and diet soda in my day, and always drink 2 cups of coffee a day, but even w/ those additions I try to average 4-6 cups of water a day.
    So basically my opinion is...drink it if it helps you drink water.
  • Colorista
    Colorista Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried a number of the additives. Most of them, like the Mio and Crystal Light and the store brand ones, do have a lot of artificial color and sweetener. The more you use, of course, the more artifical stuff you're putting in your body. I don't want Kool-Aid, so I keep the amount very light, almost like a hint of flavor.

There is a GREAT water enhancer that's all natural: H2WOW (h2wow.com). No artificial color, flavor, or sweetener. It's NOT sweet like kool-aid; it's like a spa water. I love the cucumber lemongrass and the lemon spearmint.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Drinking water is boring?
  • Leka1000
    Leka1000 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Gets me drinking water! I use MIO, Dasani Drops and Crystal Lite
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    i use it sometimes... i love the mio and crystal lite ones... i bought over 50 of them when i got them for free (couponing) just like with anything just have a limit... dont use it for every cup of water but an occasional drops here and there wont hurt...
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I love them. I use whatever brand is on sale.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    To me plain water has a rusted metal/metallic taste, unless I am drinking it via a fountain, so I have to flavor my water or I buy the propel (which is already flavored water bottles) & flavored sparkling water bottles, to replace soda.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Good or bad in what sense? Like it is adding calories? Just budget for them, or get the lite versions and fahgetaboutit.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    read something by dr mark human about how artifical sugars set you up for diabetes. So I don't use them. I only drink plain water I save my calories for pizza and cheeseburgers.