What's YOUR treat method/cycle?

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    According to my FitBit, my TDEE is on average around 2150. If I eat under that, I know I'm still on track for weightloss in the long term. I can fit regular treats or a nice dinner out with drinks in a 2150 day. Certainly the more days at 2150 means the slower my loss overall, but knowing that my day's total calories could be anywhere from 1200-2150 gives me A LOT of flexibility.

I guess my "plan," if you want to call it that, is to average out on a weekly basis eating about 2000-4000 fewer calories than I burned (based on info from my FitBit), without going over my TDEE on any specific given day. Birthdays and holiday dinners not included, though I do still try to make sure I'm below TDEE for that week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't view food as clean/unclean, good/bad, cheating/treats. I think about what I'd like to eat that day and I fit it in my calorie goal.
    Some foods don't help me meet my nutrition goals or fit my calorie goal well so I just choose other foods I like.
    I might make a decision to occasionally go over my calorie goal (maintenance calorie day) or exercise more to accommodate the higher calorie food.
    I do eat out once a week for one meal with my family. You could call it a treat but I still plan my meal in advance, fit it in my goal and log it.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I typically eat out once a week either a Friday or Saturday night. That is the meal e.g., appetizer, food, dessert, whatever that I have without batting an eye. I don't think about the calories, sugars, salt, etc. I just get what I like and enjoy it. I don't over eat (stop when I'm full), and by this point in the game I pretty much select healthier options as it a habit now and I enjoy 'cleaner' foods. I always leave room for dessert, or an ice cream :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    @Karmyeboo - you may wish to ask this in the clean eating group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133-clean-eating-group
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I try to avoid planning full days or even really any time where I am not in control. Fitting that "treat" in to my daily budget and macros leaves me a lot less likely to try to take advantage of a day to go overboard, and helps me to continue not seeing food as a reward.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate 85% every morning with coffee

It is good for my heart and yummy
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i don't really have a schedule...sometimes my friends invite me over to a BBQ and I over eat a little or eat something I normally wouldn't...I like taking my kids out to pizza every few weeks, etc. it's not really scheduled...pretty much these things just come about but in the context of my diet as a whole, these things are pretty much de minimis. I try to steer clear of terms like "clean", but I would suppose that's how many would view my overall diet.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I make it fit when I want it. When I want huge treats, I wait for the weekend as usually have bigger calorie budget.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I purposely eat less during the work week so I can eat more on the weekends. You could consider every weekend 'cheat days' if you wanted (I don't).

I eat treats as rarely as I need them. By that I mean not every time I want, but often enough to not be miserable.

I have very high calorie days on occasion, but not an a regularly planned schedule.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I set aside some calories for whatever I'm into at the time and eat it before I go to bed. Lately it's Dove dark chocolate.

If it's something bigger that I'm craving, I'll wait and see if I'm still craving it after a 3 days or so. If I am, I'll just make it fit and have a serving.

Other than that, I just plan and make things fit. I've gone overboard a lot less since I quit making anything off-limits.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I believe that if you want a treat, you should earn it with active calories (walking, biking, jogging, or what ever).

You will enjoy it much more knowing that you've earned it...:)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I believe that if you want a treat, you should earn it with active calories (walking, biking, jogging, or what ever).

giphy.gif

Exercise should be for fitness, not so you can reward yourself with food. You're not a *kitten* dog.

If anything, you should eat to lose weight, and to fuel your workouts.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a small treat most days. I do tend to save some calories for the weekends when there will be more, delicious options. But there's no "cheating". I log everything. Sometimes I go over and I either make up for it over the next few days or live with knowing it will take just slightly longer to lose the next pound.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

giphy.gif

Exercise should be for fitness, not so you can reward yourself with food. You're not a *kitten* dog.

If you get and stay fit, food won't even be an issue (unless you're a glutton).
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I eat yummy food all the time. :)

I figure that if I've got a maximum calorie limit, I'm not touching anything I don't like ... it's just not worth it. Only food I like!!

If I want more yummy food than usual, or yummy food with a higher calorie count ... like say, cheesecake ... which might take me over my maximum calorie limit, I exercise for it.

I usually exercise quite a bit on weekends, so I can have pizza for dinner or whatever I want.

No cheats involved ... it's all within my maximum calorie limit.

This. I've been increasing my cals lately, which means more higher calorie foods. I've also been exercising a lot more, so it all evens out, and I'm happier.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Should? Why should anyone other than you do as you do?
  • Karmyeboo
    Karmyeboo Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Should? Why should anyone other than you do as you do?
    +1

Exactly... Who made you master of people's tailor made diets and in what way they think of food. No need to be snappy this thread was to see the way other people go about things as it's interesting..

Thank you for all your replies I'm starting to agree with the consensus that having a cheat day goes actually cheat yourself /: and that having treats within daily calorie allowances occasionally can break the mental fault of seeing food as a reward but instead living, and eating as you please whilst loosing/maintaining a healthy weight ☺️
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I make room in my allotment daily for something yummy.

This

In addition I work to weekly calorie goals, which means I usually eat less on week days when I have more structured eating patterns, and more at the weekends when I am more likely to go out for meals, attend celebrations, etc. So on average I maintain a deficit across the week, even if I have a 'blowout' meal.

I do this as well.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

So my employer buys doughnuts and pizza sometimes to reward us for hard work. Do they think we're dogs? Should I be pissed off that they're REWARDING US WITH FOOD?

How about when I get my kids a treat? Do I treat them like dogs too? Maybe I should be mad when Mrs Jruzer makes me a birthday cake?

I work out hard and I eat glorious food and drink good beer and strong, because I enjoy and I earned it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

+1

That's how I do it. :)

Plus it helps keep me aware of what I have to do to burn off those extra calories.

The main reason why I gained weight was because I went from being very active to being less active ... and not reducing the amount I was eating enough to compensate for the reduction in activity. I did reduce the amount I was eating ... but not enough.

So logging everything here helps me see the connection between my activity and the food I eat ... for example, that I need to ride my bicycle 2 hours, or 3 hours, or whatever, in order to be able to afford that particular food.

And believe me ... sitting down to a pizza after a 4 hour ride feels really good! I feel good that I did the 4 hour ride ... and that pizza is just icing on the cake, so to speak. :grin: