RMR Testing & DEXA Scans

Options
I swear, I'm such a stat nerd! I'm so excited, this weekend I'm getting RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) Testing to get an accurate picture of my TDEE, and then in two weeks I'll be getting a DEXA Scan to get an accurate account of body fat % and lean body mass...and then thinking I'll do them both again in 6 months to see what my actual progress is and how things have improved. It'll also be nice to get a baseline for how far off my scale is at home with the body fat %.

Has anyone else ever done these? What did you think, and did it help you?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I had the scan, twice, but I had it for my bones. It was boring, but easy. Until I read these boards, I was totally unaware that people have recreational scans, but it seems like many do.

Have fun! :)
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I have had my BF% measured via Dexa scan on two occasions. It is pretty cool to see fat distribution, how much visceral fat one has, etc. I'd really like to get mine done again sometime soon.
  • MommersRL
    MommersRL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Judging from your alias, I'm assuming you're in the Southern California area. Are you having these tests done by BodySpec, by any chance? I've had their RMR test, plus a few DEXA scans, and like you I love having the data.

The DEXA results have definitely helped provide feedback that my diet and exercise are appropriate for my goals. I like having the RMR data too, but I'm not sure when or if I'll retest that one. My body would have to change dramatically to noticeably affect the number.

The tests are both easy to take, though I found biting down on the mouthpiece for the RMR test a little tiring at the end. Enjoy!
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MommersRL wrote: »
    Judging from your alias, I'm assuming you're in the Southern California area. Are you having these tests done by BodySpec, by any chance? I've had their RMR test, plus a few DEXA scans, and like you I love having the data.

The DEXA results have definitely helped provide feedback that my diet and exercise are appropriate for my goals. I like having the RMR data too, but I'm not sure when or if I'll retest that one. My body would have to change dramatically to noticeably affect the number.

The tests are both easy to take, though I found biting down on the mouthpiece for the RMR test a little tiring at the end. Enjoy!

Yes! BodySpec! I guess there is also BodPod here too, but the reviews on BodySpec are better. It's comforting for me to know that you liked the tests from BodySpec and that they helped you! The DEXA I will definitely retest, and actually I'm thinking I may retest the RMR also once I hit my goal just so I know what is right for maintenance. I hope to have a little more muscle by then haha, so hopefully it will help!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I did two bod pod last year. I am overdo for another.
  • MommersRL
    MommersRL Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes! BodySpec! I guess there is also BodPod here too, but the reviews on BodySpec are better.

I also had a BodPod done before I knew about BodySpec's DEXA services. I too prefer getting the DEXA scans. You don't have to change into a bathing suit, and you get a lot more information than just the overall BF% number the BodPod gives you. Both overall numbers were in the same ball park, but DEXA also tells you regional data, and the prices are about the same now. You've probably learned all this already from reading the reviews though. :)

• starcarver1
    starcarver1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I swear, I'm such a stat nerd! I'm so excited, this weekend I'm getting RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) Testing to get an accurate picture of my TDEE, and then in two weeks I'll be getting a DEXA Scan to get an accurate account of body fat % and lean body mass...and then thinking I'll do them both again in 6 months to see what my actual progress is and how things have improved. It'll also be nice to get a baseline for how far off my scale is at home with the body fat %.

Has anyone else ever done these? What did you think, and did it help you?

If you are a data junky you will love BodySpec's DEXA. I love being able to track my info this way. I am lucky there is one near me in Brentwood/West LA
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    raises hand

yeps several times in a lab all geek fun lol