How much did you lose in the first 6 months?

Options
At my heaviest I was 280lbs (20 stones), 32F, 5ft 6.5". I am down to 269lbs (19st 3lbs) now, lost 7 lbs in July.

I've got 5 months until a holiday in the sun over Christmas and I'm wondering what everyone else achieved in the first 5/6 months of their diet.

I'm trying a 1000 calorie deficit from my BMR, and an additional 2000-3000 from cardio exercise, some of which I may eat back. I have a HRM, so it's a fairly accurate burn I think.

Anyhow, be great to hear your success stories.

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    About 40 of the 45 pounds I was trying to lose. 200lbs to 160lbs.
    I ended up around 155 when all was said and done.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,905 Member
    Options
    Sure, with 100 pounds to lose you should be able to lose 2 # per week initially. You may want to drop that down a half pounds for every 25 pounds you lose, however. The less you weigh, the harder it is to maintain a big deficit.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think 40-45lbs will be around what I hope to lose too, although of course I would love to lose nearer 60lbs but anything is a bonus right now.

kshama2001 - My intake is 1390cals a day I think, so I guess I will just keep to that as I don't want to net much lower than that, so it should naturally slow as I get slimmer :)

I'm not the most patient person, the waiting is the hardest part for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »
    At my heaviest I was 280lbs (20 stones), 32F, 5ft 6.5". I am down to 269lbs (19st 3lbs) now, lost 7 lbs in July.

I've got 5 months until a holiday in the sun over Christmas and I'm wondering what everyone else achieved in the first 5/6 months of their diet.

I'm trying a 1000 calorie deficit from my BMR, and an additional 2000-3000 from cardio exercise, some of which I may eat back. I have a HRM, so it's a fairly accurate burn I think.

Anyhow, be great to hear your success stories.

Wait -- your HRM is telling you that you are burning 2,000-3,000 a day from cardio? What are you doing for cardio?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    about 30ish of the 40 Lbs I lost.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25-30 lbs in my first 6 months (slower after that) and I also had over 100 pounds to lose. I lost it more quickly when I was younger and more obsessive about it, but that never really worked well for me in the end. It can be helpful to have goals in mind but it's not a race. I know that's cliche and everyone wants to lose weight quickly, but if you make reasonable and sustainable changes rather than drastic caloric cuts, it's more likely to stay off for most people.
  • Versacam
    Options
    Sorry, I meant 2000-3000 extra per week from exercise. 2 x Gym sessions of 1.5hrs of cardio, and a 2hr Mountain bike trek in the forest at weekends.

I wanted to lose 3lbs a week, but I'm not sure if that will be possible, so I'll either eat the exercise calories or I will use them gradually in the week if I feel the need to.

My HRM is pretty accurate in my opinion. It gives a much lower figure than MFP or gym machines and I only use it for cardio, not for doing weights.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I started at 290 and lost about 55 pounds in the first six months. My weight loss has slowed waaaaay down since then, though, but I'm keeping at it. I think initially, when you're that overweight, it's pretty easy to lose weight, and then the further along you go, it gets harder. It was pretty easy to see results when I completely revamped my diet--no more poptarts, fast food, and constant snacking, means you lose weight pretty quickly!
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »
    I think 40-45lbs will be around what I hope to lose too, although of course I would love to lose nearer 60lbs but anything is a bonus right now.

I lost 30 lbs in the first six months, 208 to 178. 40-45 sounds attainable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Looking back, about 55-57 lbs of the 95 I lost.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm down 70.5 lbs in 301 days. I lost 37.4 of those pounds in the first 6 months. Starting weight (officially on MFP) was 258.4, 6 month weight of 221, current weight of 187.9.

My weight loss "sped up" after 6 months which I attribute to a better adherence to my lifestyle changes and having a better cache of recipes and food choices at my disposal. For example I now eat a salad every single day with dinner - I don't particularly like salad, but I've learned that the bulk helps my satiety and it's low calorie, so I eat it to help reach my goals. Early on, I rarely ate salads which led to more night time snacking and higher-calorie sides with my entrees. This is just on example of how it's possible for time and experience to speed up your rate of loss as you go on, rather than for your rate to slow down.
  • Versacam
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone and congratulations for the weight loss you each had, I can't wait to be saying the same.

40lbs would be 2lbs a week until Christmas, if I could lose more I'd like to, but then I guess I'll feel a lot better after losing 40lbs + the 7 or 8lbs I've lost already from my heaviest weight this year.

I do enjoy exercise and I'm trying to use this to my advantage, although it's not as fun when you are 19 stones :( But I'm giving it my best shot to get back into a routine and it's something I enjoy, so I'm lucky in that way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think about 12-15 lbs, but I am purposely losing very slowly so probably not much help to you.
  • marti038
    marti038 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've lost 22 pounds (207 to 185) in 7 weeks. I'm 6'3" tall, so I'm about done. I have also been training for a triathlon during this time, burning an additional 3500-4500 calories per week. I plan to increase my calorie intake as I approach a more "ideal" weight, thus slowing the pace a little.

My wife has also been exercising and watching calories with me. I have to tip my hat to you ladies. It's much harder for you to shed pounds with your BRM's so low.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    101 pounds in 8.5 months
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    How much did you lose in the first 6 months?

I haven't reached 6 months yet ... I will mid-August. But so far I've lost 16 kg (35 lbs).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I'm only about 90-odd days in and I've lose 7 lbs but I don't have much to lose.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey years ago when I was 240 lbs, I'd say I lost about 30, but I can't really remember. I wasn't counting calories or even aware of how many calories I was consuming, though. More recently I started back on my weight loss journey beginning of April and I've lost almost 30 lbs. I started at 187 and now I'm 159. It's definitely slowing down the closer to goal I get (140-145).