Headache on 1,200cal?

Options
So I've lost around 3st with weight watchers over the last year but been struggling with it so decided to try a 1,200 cal diet as recommended by my info on mfp.

Yesterday was my first day and although I felt full, by 8pm I had a horrible headache and I vomited around 9pm.

Today, again, felt fine until now - when my head's starting to pound.

Am I not drinking enough water? Or is it normal for the first few days? I know today wasn't particularly nutritious (high on carb side) but we'd gone for a family picnic so it was my 'treat'.

Replies

• jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends -- how much water are you drinking? How much exercise are you doing? What are your stats? Etc.
  • ClareDoherty42
    ClareDoherty42 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Depends -- how much water are you drinking? How much exercise are you doing? What are your stats? Etc.

Today I've upped the water and drank about 2litres plus a 330ml soft drink. Yesterday probably slightly less.

No exercise of note, some walking today but nothing huge.

5'2 149lb

Hope that helps!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Why do you think eating 1200 calories would make you vomit?
  • ClareDoherty42
    Options
    Why do you think eating 1200 calories would make you vomit?

I don't, particularly, but headaches tend to make me vomit. It could be entirely coincidental, of course.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    without your height, weight, activity level and such, there are numerous reasons you could be getting headaches and throwing up. Do you track your water intake? How much activity are you doing each day? My calorie goal is 1400 calories and I eat that and half my exercise calories back and still lose weight. you may not eating enough if you are working out more, or you could need to up your water.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I'm no expert but it sounds like you're drinking enough water. Is there a specific food you're eating that you don't normally eat that could be causing it? Do you have any medical conditions that may be a cause?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Did you cut back on caffeine? I'm pretty sure I'm going to die when I don't have my caffeine.
  • ClareDoherty42
    Options
    Hmm.. I'm no expert but it sounds like you're drinking enough water. Is there a specific food you're eating that you don't normally eat that could be causing it? Do you have any medical conditions that may be a cause?

I'm usually quite carb heavy, even when on weight watchers, so it's possible that cutting carbs is a factor - I had a similar reaction to the Dukan diet.

Today shouldn't be as bad, though, but possibly still less carbs than my 'norm'
  • ClareDoherty42
    Options
    Did you cut back on caffeine? I'm pretty sure I'm going to die when I don't have my caffeine.

Omg I'm so with you. Months ago I decided to stop drinking diet coke. Heroin withdrawal has nothing on how I felt that day (I'd imagine, I've not actually experienced it!). But no, still had my diet coke. Trying to cut down gradually this time.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Today I've upped the water and drank about 2litres plus a 330ml soft drink. Yesterday probably slightly less.

No exercise of note, some walking today but nothing huge.

5'2 149lb

Hope that helps!

With all the water, have you cut out most soda, or most tea/coffee? I get a headache when I haven't had my iced tea (it's unsweetened...so I don't cut it out). Nothing wrong with a diet soda here and there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I'm usually quite carb heavy, even when on weight watchers, so it's possible that cutting carbs is a factor - I had a similar reaction to the Dukan diet.

Today shouldn't be as bad, though, but possibly still less carbs than my 'norm'

You had 121 grams of carbs yesterday, so even being less carbs than your usual, that wouldn't be low enough to get you into low carb flu territory. Do you know how low you were on the Dukan diet?
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    For me, a high-protein, slightly sweet snack (cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, or even 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream) helps the headachy shaky feeling I sometimes got during the first few weeks. Six weeks on, I don't have a problem as long as I spread my calories throughout the day. If you took a big drop in calories from WW to MFP, your body might need time to adjust. Definitely drink as much as possible, especially if you are in a warm humid climate. And rather than faint, vomit or suffer a bad headache, I would go over my calories a little, log it in, and then see how I do the next day. If it continues, see a doctor, because maybe it's a virus or something and not a food issue.
  • ClareDoherty42
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You had 121 grams of carbs yesterday, so even being less carbs than your usual, that wouldn't be low enough to get you into low carb flu territory. Do you know how low you were on the Dukan diet?

I believe the recommended was 20g? Not sure though, it was a while ago.

Gone slightly over today now, to stave off the worst of the headaches. Thanks for everyone's help, I'll keep an eye on your suggestions.