Worried About a Friend

Options
sjrutherf
sjrutherf Posts: 27 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello,
I have been successful on my CICO/MFP plan for 5 months now and I love it!
I have been trying to talk one of my friends into trying it with me. He has been making all kinds of excuses thus far not to join me (not the right time in his life, no time, etc).
He is about 6 feet and I would guess 350+ pounds. He has always been insecure about his weight.
Yesterday he texted me the following:

I'm about to start a liquid diet called ketochow. It's just like shakes for every meal. Supposed to taste good. Also gives 100% dv of vit and minerals. And has 800 all day which is too low for me so I add heavy cream to get 1250. And it keeps you in ketosis. From what I've seen almost everyone loses 10 lbs a month on it. I'm psyched.

I don't believe in liquid diets because I don't believe they are sustainable. The reason I have been so successful is because I can eat what I want, just in moderation. Now I don't care as much if he tries and fails. I am just worried that this will negatively effect his health. Does anybody know if he will be ok going this route? I know 1250 calories a day for such a big guy is NOT enough. I urged him to do it under a doctor's supervision, but he assured me he did a ton of research and everyone on reddit has only good things to say about it. I am just worried he is going down a road of health issues and I don't know what to tell him that I haven't already. I want to be supportive of him finally wanting to get healthy, but I am worried.Thank you for reading.

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    For a guy that size, it's essentially a starvation diet. He'll either quit or collapse.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Leave him alone and be supportive in a general way. He will quit it after a week or two.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    LOL if he weighs 350+ pounds losing 10 pounds in the first month should be easy to do. Let him do it though. He can keep dancing around CICO untill something happens and he is forced to lose weight the correct way.
  • sjrutherf
    sjrutherf Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That is what I was thinking of doing. I had a feeling with or without me he'd eventually stop, but I felt guilty letting him do it. I will just be supportive and maybe after this fails he will try CICO with me.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    ketosis is hard on the kidneys, but let him try, he is convinced and he will figure it out. Be there for him and maybe he will eat a salad or some veg along with the drinks...heavy cream? that may give him diarrhea and it will make his gall bladder empty , could affect him if he has gall stones. If he has sudden pain or intense gut pain think gall stones and head for ER
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    sjrutherf wrote: »
    That is what I was thinking of doing. I had a feeling with or without me he'd eventually stop, but I felt guilty letting him do it. I will just be supportive and maybe after this fails he will try CICO with me.

IDK about him but I know I was stubborn with trying CICO. Was stubborn buying a food scale. I thought I could do it on my own without MFP and counting calories. That failed and well now I am in the best shape of my life and my weight goal is to weigh probably what I did when I was 11.