Two scales showing totally different weights?

Options
So in my home my regular scale i use to weigh myself is digital, i use it daily. So this morning i decided to compare with the older style manual scale in my other bathroom.. Digital scale read 165.6 and manual scale read 173! Wth? Now im scared ive been believing a digital scale that might completely off! Nearly 10lbs is a big difference! Does anyone have any idea on what gives? Or which i should trust?
Thx

Replies

• newlifeme2014
    newlifeme2014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Scales need to be calibrated, especially older ones. There should be like a dial on the side or bottom that you can turn and the scale hand/pointer will move also. It should be pointing at 0 when nothing is on it. Hope this helps!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Get something thats a known weight and test both of them with it. Theres no way for us to know which one is more accurate. A poorly calibrated scale is poorly calibrated, digital or not.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What 999tigge said. I had the same issue when I changed from my regular scale to a digital. I took some of my dumbells which are very accurate and put them on the scale and calibrated it that way. I had to use either 20-25 to get it to work properly. Good luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Pick one scale and stick with that.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    No two scales are going to weigh exactly the same. Pick a scale and only use that one. My scale varies from the doctor's office scale by about 5 pounds! But I'm counting my weight loss on my scale, so that's the one that matters to me.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    What 999tigge said. I had the same issue when I changed from my regular scale to a digital. I took some of my dumbells which are very accurate and put them on the scale and calibrated it that way. I had to use either 20-25 to get it to work properly. Good luck.

The way to do this with a lighter object is to weigh yourself, then pick up, say, a 2 lb weight, and make sure that the scale goes up by 2 lbs.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Trust the scale you weigh in with regularly. You are comparing your weight this week with your weight last week. What scale did you use last week? Just weigh consistently (same scale, same time of day, type of clothing worn).