Ketogenic diet? Anyone?

Options
I am new and starting a ketogenic diet, looking for any other women following this diet.

Replies

• BarbSte500
    BarbSte500 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I follow it. However I'm not as strict as some. 50 carbs a day and 1000 cal. I've seen a 3-lb a week loss. I started almost 3 weeks ago. Very pleased with the results. I'm also walking up to 3 miles a day.
  • SeattleBeagleFan
    SeattleBeagleFan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am on the 30/10 Weight Loss for Life program, which is 10% carbs, or 30g. Very low. After the first week, I've been seeing about 2 pounds loss per week. I've been on one month, and have about 45 pounds to go.
  • jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I have been on a ketogenic diet since February 3rd and have lost over 30 pounds. It takes some adapting to but is extremely worth it. I eat no more than 20 g Net Carbs per day. I know a lot of people on this diet won't eat more than 20 total, but I count Net as I love my veggies. If you want help and guidance for this path, go here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Once you're there I highly recommend looking at the LCD Launch Pad, lots of good advice there. Good luck!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hi I too am on the keto diet. No more than 30 GMs of carbs daily. Add me if you like.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I am new and starting a ketogenic diet, looking for any other women following this diet.

Is there a medical reason why you have chosen this rather than eating the foods you like at a calorie deficit?
  • Valienz
    Valienz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto is pretty excellent, and has some basic flexibility for lifestyle. The general practice is 20g carbs, either net or total depending on how you eat/your needs. It's pretty wonderful. I actually started it as a chronic pain and fatigue management, and it has helped immensely. Huge push on whole, fresh foods. So if you don't cook, this is a great time to learn! The hardest part is getting adapted, and then modifying eating out if you do that at all. A great result is a loss of 30+ pounds, about 4 inches around my hips, etc etc. The big thing I would emphasize, though, is it really should be a lifestyle change not a temporary weight loss diet. Trust me though, you feel great on this way of eating. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    At keto levels right now. I am usually 100 carbs or less, but the past few weeks I have dropped that level to limit insulin response as much as possible. Anyone can feel free to add me. Keto or not, I realize not everyone's body needs the exact same thing. Mine definitely needs lower carbs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Is there a medical reason why you have chosen this rather than eating the foods you like at a calorie deficit?

I love the foods I eat on a keto diet. Is there a psychological reason for your question ?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »

I love the foods I eat on a keto diet. Is there a psychological reason for your question ?

Nope, just a question.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Me too. It is a pretty execllent way to eat once you get past the "keto flu". Keep your sodium and potassium high, and it may not hit you.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy it. :)

The LCD forum previously mentioned is very supportive. There is not a great deal of keto'ers around the main boards.
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Me! Add me as a friend if you want.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options
    Keto! Nom nom.
  • jarchic002
    jarchic002 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just started keto 3 days ago as well. I was feeling symptoms of the keto flu badly yesterday. Trying to have more potassium and sodium, but eventually had to take two advils to help with the headache. Feel much better today.
    Would love keto friends on here as well!

I don't feel restricted with what I am eating on keto. I had delicious cream cheese pancakes for breakfast, and it feels great to not feel guilty about putting butter on everything!
  • Lunawatuna
    Lunawatuna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Me too! I started Banting on Monday. https://banting.realmealrevolution.com
  • Cupcake1124
    Cupcake1124 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My reason for doing this diet evolved after YEARS of struggling with weight gain. I believe that the medical issues during my pregnancy with now 13 year old son caused my metabolism to drastically change. The only luck I've had with weight loss was low carb, but as a foodie it's hard for me to give up certain food groups for very long. Calorie restriction typically leads to gain for me if I'm eating too many carb loaded foods. I guess I'm finally mentally ready to commit to a different plan, and keto seemed like it might have the answers I'm looking for based on my research. I'm committed to a year of experimenting to find out what works. I'm currently doing 25 or less carbs a day, one week in, starting to come out of keto flu but still pretty exhausted. Thanks for the input everyone. Go ahead and send me a friend request if I missed you and you follow keto!
  • cmor86
    cmor86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 2 of keto.
  • tinyturtlegirl
    tinyturtlegirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on my third week of keto. I LOVE it. I started it because of a neurological disease and it was recommended by my doctor to manage it as I can no longer tolerate the medications. I have not only been able to stop all of the harmful medications, but I have lost 17 pounds as well. I feel amazing. It is definitely a way of eating my body is thriving on. Now I just need to be a little more committed to exercising :smile:
  • FPJ2015
    FPJ2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What is keto diet?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    FPJ2015 wrote: »
    What is keto diet?

It is a diet that is very low in carbs (usually below 50g per day) and high in fat. It makes the body switch from burning glucose to fat instead.

Some find it helpful for treating insulin resistance, keep blood glucose steady, treating heart issue, helping reduce inflammation and assisting with weight loss (when eating at a deficit).

It's just a LCHF way of eating. Think meat, cheese, cream, nuts, veggies, and some fruit without baked goods, processed foods, or added sugar (usually).

ETA to add, it is basically phase 1 of Atkins.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 2 of keto and loving it so far, I keep to 20 carbs or less. Feel free to add me, anyone! =)