loosing calories

Options
how many calories are burnt after a 6km walk?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Depends - how fast did you walk, how much do you weigh, how old are you, how many hills did it include, are you male or female?
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight, height, speed of walking, incline, etc.
  • faji2015
    faji2015 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I walk 5km daily for one hour. I am 20 weigh 160lbs n 5.5'. Can you estimate my calories?
  • ashleyweatherholtzmathis
    Options
    probably roughly 100 calories estimated...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    faji2015 wrote: »
    I walk 5km daily for one hour. I am 20 weigh 160lbs n 5.5'. Can you estimate my calories?

If you enter your walk into the Exercise Diary in MFP it will give you a calorie estimate.
  • prowett9
    prowett9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Right, I am female, born and living in Portugal (Europe). My weight is 69kg, I am 1.64m tall (European standards and units). Speed of walking, well this is something I plan to do and it will be walking fast without running... this is a marathon that is taking place in the city.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    A rule of thumb I often see posted is about 100 calories/mile. So 5k would be about 300 calories. 6k would be about 375

For me, I would view it more of a range with that "rule of thumb" in the middle.

ie a 5k walk probably burns somewhere in the range of 200-400 calories, depending on the variety of other factors listed above.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    probably roughly 100 calories estimated...

100 calories from 6km? That's probably around an hour of walking (or more). I'm confident that it is more than 100 calories.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    A rule of thumb I often see posted is about 100 calories/mile. So 5k would be about 300 calories. 6k would be about 375

For me, I would view it more of a range with that "rule of thumb" in the middle.

ie a 5k walk probably burns somewhere in the range of 200-400 calories, depending on the variety of other factors listed above.

My heart rate monitor agrees with you if I run. As a 130-135 pound, 49 year old female who has been running for several years, a 5K burns about 280 calories. Someone bigger and/or newer to running would burn a bit more but not exorbitantly more.

Walking is closer to 70 calories per mile for me. The 100 calories per mile guideline is pretty accurate for running but it's probably a little less for walking.