Eating before bed

Options
I am struggling with things to eat before bed...we typically eat dinner around 5pm and if I am near my calorie goal than I call it a night but if not I usually have something but I know what I have been having is probably not the best choices. Do any of you have any suggestions???

Replies

• sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have two snacks a day. I plan them. I always have an afternoon snack. Some days I have a mid-morning snack, other days I have an after dinner snack an hour or two after I ate.

Why not plan a snack? Just make it part of your routine and then if you have the urge to graze, remind yourself that you had a snack and stop yourself.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing - I find myself still needing 600 calories for the day and it's 8pm already. I'm thinking yogurt and almonds, but that won't be anywhere near what I need. I'm trying to avoid the ice cream...
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    I have a bowl of oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, (sometimes a little honey) swirled together with a little whipped cream and crushed nuts on top. Sweet, satisfying, and compared to a bowl of ice cream...no comparison. Not to mention good to sleep on.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    it is best not to eat 3 hours before you go to bed. if you are hungry before bed just have a protein shake.
  • LivingFree
    LivingFree Posts: 69
    Options
    I usually try to keep it within 100 calories (air popped popcorn is a great filler with a large glass of water) or 200 calories (1 cup low sugar cereal like Special K or Cheerios) and 1/2 cup 1% milk. Sometimes I try to see where I'm lacking and fill in the gap - like if I could use some more fruit, I'll slice up an apple or if I need calcium, I'll have a glass of milk :)
  • CRmom2
    CRmom2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Thank you all for the great tips!! I normally don't eat less than 3 hours before bed, I am just struggling with food ideas!! I will have to play around with a few of these ideas and see what works. If anyone comes up with a new one please feel free to share!
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    it is best not to eat 3 hours before you go to bed. if you are hungry before bed just have a protein shake.

Agreed, I hit a casein protein shake right before bed. Sometimes I toss in a Light Frigo String Cheese. 160 calories for both, and 33g of protein. Keeps me anticatabolic overnight.
  • CRmom2
    CRmom2 Posts: 73
    Options
    Well I ended up having a 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt topped with a tbsp of granola!! Very yummy and satisfying!! Was still under by about 200 calories so I was happy!