What is NOT allowed on Atkins?

Options
A recent posting got me thinking that maybe I should try Atkins. I quickly looked at Phase 1 and think I can handle it. I am just wondering exactly what is NOT allowed. Obviously pasta and bread, but what else?

Replies

• saraleighb90
    saraleighb90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Curious about this as well.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I haven't read Atkins for quite a few years but I am assuming it is similar to a LCHF diet, and more like a very LCHF or ketogenic diet, which I do.

The main thing is to keep your carbs very low, and to replace the carbs with fat (assuming your eat adequate protein already). I think Atkins keeps it well below 50g per day which is a ketogenic diet. You can eat any carb you want for that, technically speaking, but most people tend to chose low GI foods which tend to pack a higher nutritional punch.

For instance, you could have one slice of whole wheat bread at 43g of carbs, or you could have a salad, steamed beans, some blueberries, and some cucs and celery to snack on instead. Most tend to chose the foods in the second choice.

I'm in ketosis, and yesterday I ate coffee with coconut cream, 3 bacon, 1 egg, 2 pepperoni sticks, a burger patty with asiago and arthichoke dip, celery, cucs, yellow pepper (part), salmon patty, primavera sauce w/ mushroom, red pepper, and shrimp. I had a few nuts too.

I tend to avoid baked goods, potato, rice, and any added sugar. I limit high sugar fruits and tend to not eat veggies that are too starchy (high in carbs). Dairy is limited too to foods without much lactose like cream and cheese. That's just me though.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Sugar. They have an allowed foods list for each phase on their website.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Happiness.

Oh, and ice cream, that's not allowed either.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Happiness.

^^^ THIS
  • LadyDaenerys
    LadyDaenerys Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am currently on Atkins and I've lost a total of 60 lbs. I stopped caring at one point and gained 15lbs back and now I'm back on Atkins! I love it! I feel full all the time and strong. I check my keytones on the regular and take supplements for magnesium and potassium. I would get muscle cramps and the supplements would help. Also drinking warm broth would prevent the muscle cramps too. I've never felt better :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Happiness.

You base your happiness of sugar and grains? :( Both of which are still allowed (in moderation) if you wish. I'm so sorry. That must make life so very very hard for you.

• LadyDaenerys
    Options
    I eat pepperoni, cheese, all meats, heavy cream or half and half, eggs, bacon, and I also make these awesome low carb bagels that keep me in ketosis! I'm always looking for induction friendly mock foods.

Check out these bagels! - http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/sugar-free-low-carb-everything-bagel/

Read your labels! NO SUGAR! Nothing that spikes the glycemic index. DONT EAT LOW FAT CRAP! High Fat High Protien! and don't be afriad ... FAT will not kill you... sugar will... I suggest you watch this movie called "Fat Head" it's on you tube. You will never look at food .. or the government .. the same again!
  • LadyDaenerys
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also cooking with Quest protien powder is amazing sugar free!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    xxnecraxx wrote: »
    I eat pepperoni, cheese, all meats, heavy cream or half and half, eggs, bacon, and I also make these awesome low carb bagels that keep me in ketosis! I'm always looking for induction friendly mock foods.

Check out these bagels! - http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/sugar-free-low-carb-everything-bagel/

Read your labels! NO SUGAR! Nothing that spikes the glycemic index. DONT EAT LOW FAT CRAP! High Fat High Protien! and don't be afriad ... FAT will not kill you... sugar will... I suggest you watch this movie called "Fat Head" it's on you tube. You will never look at food .. or the government .. the same again!

Sugar isn't going to kill you. People have been eating sugar longer than we've been people. If you're within your calorie goals, you can have both fat and sugar and maintain your desired weight AND be in good health.