My doctor has me doing 20 mg of carbs per day.

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    Are you diabetic, insulin resistant, hypoglycemic, hyperinsulinemic, or have PCOS?

There are valid medical reasons for low carb not included on this list.

The OP didn't ask for permission or approval and really doesn't need a doctor's excuse to eat this diet. She chose to say that she's going low-carb on the doctor's instructions, but nobody needs a note from the doctor.

She didn't ask if anyone else approves, so nobody really needs to pry into her personal medical issues to find out whether they approve of this of not.

IMO.

I think it's mostly people taking most doctors' advice with a grain of salt when it comes to nutrition, especially as such low carb is unnecessary for most people (even diabetics probably, but I don't know much about them).

So in this case, it's mostly to tell the OP that if there isn't a medical reason to do it, it's probably unnecessary to go that far... People are just trying to help.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    umayster wrote: »
    Are you diabetic, insulin resistant, hypoglycemic, hyperinsulinemic, or have PCOS?

There are valid medical reasons for low carb not included on this list.

The OP didn't ask for permission or approval and really doesn't need a doctor's excuse to eat this diet. She chose to say that she's going low-carb on the doctor's instructions, but nobody needs a note from the doctor.

She didn't ask if anyone else approves, so nobody really needs to pry into her personal medical issues to find out whether they approve of this of not.

IMO.

Agreed, it shouldn't be asked.

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've done keto (I usually stay under 30g net carbs per day) for over 6 months. It helps me with cravings, and makes it much easier to stay under my calorie limit, which leads to easier weight loss for me than with counting calories alone.

Since you're asking about meals, below is what an average day looks like for me. I'm not listing amounts, as you'd have to custom tailor those to your calorie limit.

Breakfast:
    Scrambled eggs, bacon, avocado.

Lunch:
    Some type of meat, big salad with dressing

Dinner:
    Some type of meat, lots of veggies

Snack:
    Almonds, cheese, etc

About the "stick to it a week thing", if you're serious about trying keto then please read some information on it to prepare yourself. You'll probably feel terrible until day 5 or so, but if you keep your electrolyte levels up then you'll get through the "keto flu" just fine.
  • msnoanie18
    msnoanie18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Yes I am pre-diabetic, have a metabolic disorder, PCOS and insulin resistant.
    I have tried doing this over the weekend and so far so good. I've been able to do it and not think about all the carbs. I'm actually excited because I've done so well.
    Thank you for all the encouragement. It truly means a lot.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I also second or third getting your doctor to clarify if it's net carbs or total carbs (net is carbs minus fiber). If it's 20g total carbs, that will limit you to mostly meats with some vegetables; if it's 20g net, you'll be able to work in a lot more vegetables, and maybe even a small serving of fruit.

And also as previously mentioned this is called "keto", so if you search the internet for "keto recipes" you'll find a ton of options. Some of them are replacement foods - low carb foods trying to imitate higher carb food. I've always been disappointed in how those turn out (mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes is a travesty - I don't like cauliflower), but there are lots of other recipes that are just meat and veggie focused. Many of those are darn tasty.

And I agree that if after a few weeks you find this isn't sustainable for you, go back to the doctor/dietician and discuss if there are other more viable options.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Look into the Low Carber Daily, or other LCHF and Keto forums. You'll get lots of help from there too.
  • Lunawatuna
    Lunawatuna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    https://banting.realmealrevolution.com Is similar to keto I think. Seems to suit me so far. Good luck!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Check out the low carb and keto message boards here. You will get better help there than from a dietician, in my opinion... It is a very healthy way to eat that cuts your appetite and improves your overall health!

This is incredibly bad advice. A bunch of strangers with no training will give better help than a trained professional looking at the poster's medical records?

No problem looking at message boards for some thoughts on the topic but better than a trained professional???
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Check out the low carb and keto message boards here. You will get better help there than from a dietician, in my opinion... It is a very healthy way to eat that cuts your appetite and improves your overall health!

This is incredibly bad advice. A bunch of strangers with no training will give better help than a trained professional looking at the poster's medical records?

No problem looking at message boards for some thoughts on the topic but better than a trained professional???

Her doc told her what to do, but keto is a pretty different way of eating and simple implementation help is well within the abilities of the low carb and keto eaters on this forum.

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    msnoanie18 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. Yes I am pre-diabetic, have a metabolic disorder, PCOS and insulin resistant.
    I have tried doing this over the weekend and so far so good. I've been able to do it and not think about all the carbs. I'm actually excited because I've done so well.

A ketogenic state of metabolism is shown to greatly reduce testosterone in women (and men). It is still young in trials, but early indication is that testosterone production can slow to about half, which greatly improves PCOS symptoms in women. I dont know all the microbiological stuff about why that is, but maybe something for you to research.

A ketogenic diet has been shown to eliminate diabetic conditions as well. The body regulates insulin a lot better without glycemic overload from fruits and other things. For most people who are fit and healthy, this is not an issue. But for someone like you, this method of eating can be a very useful tool in managing it. I dont eat much fruit for sustainability reasons (endurance).

There is true science to what your doctor is saying. I have nothing of what you have, but I am in the battle of losing weight. This has been the method that has worked for me the best. The way I live is highly unconventional, but it gets results, so I carry on.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I think your Dr. meant grams...
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Why? Also your doctor is not a nutritionist.
  • msnoanie18
    msnoanie18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well I must be doing something right. lol I'm down 15 pounds in 2 weeks. I see my doctor Monday and I'll check and see if it's net carbs or not. Thank you for all the information you're giving me. Hope you all have a blessed weekend. :smiley:
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Well I must be doing something right. lol I'm down 15 pounds in 2 weeks. I see my doctor Monday and I'll check and see if it's net carbs or not. Thank you for all the information you're giving me. Hope you all have a blessed weekend. :smiley:

Way to go <3. You have a blessed weekend as well and keep up the good work!!!!
  • sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm glad you're doing so well with it! I'm also doing a low carb diet and I love it.

Let us know how the appointment goes! Just out of curiosity. I love a good low-carb success story!

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

One of my pitfalls in earlier low carb tries was that my intake of proteins was too high. It really takes a change of mindset to consume so much fat. But the eyeopener for me was David Asprey's Bulletproof Coffee, and this really got me started in a good way. Like you, it's more for health than for weight loss. The cool thing is that the first thing that was going was the visceral fat high in my abdomen. I had been very worried about that, but it was the first bit of fat I lost. I never weigh myself, and it took a while before I could see changes in the mirror. MCT oil is amazing. Do read up on supplements and electrolytes.

Also, it takes about three weeks to get keto adapted. A week is too short a span of time to see if you'll be able to stick with the plan.

Best of luck!