Whole 30

Options
lisah180
lisah180 Posts: 69 Member
Tomorrow I am starting my 2nd Whole 30 I lost 18 pounds in June doing my first bit quickly came back to my old habits after it ended. Luckily I only gained back 3 pds since than. Anyways time for another reset!! I'm looking to make life long changes this time and hopefully adapt to more of a paleo lifestyle afterwards. Has anyone successfully did something similar or are there other groups in this community for whole 30-paleo lifestyle?
Thanks

Replies

• leahaeby1
    leahaeby1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow -- I am just getting over mono and am excited to reset my body. Any tips/tricks would be much appreciated.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    lisah180 wrote: »
    Tomorrow I am starting my 2nd Whole 30 I lost 18 pounds in June doing my first bit quickly came back to my old habits after it ended. Luckily I only gained back 3 pds since than. Anyways time for another reset!! I'm looking to make life long changes this time and hopefully adapt to more of a paleo lifestyle afterwards. Has anyone successfully did something similar or are there other groups in this community for whole 30-paleo lifestyle?
    Thanks

If you want sustainable weight loss, forget the "Whole 30" fad and practice calorie control.
  • lisah180
    Options
    I actually don't consider the Whole 30 to be a fad diet. It's not even technically a diet..it's meant to be a short term nutritional reset. The idea is to eliminate food groups and reintroduce them after the 30 days are over. This allows you to determine if any foods are bothersome to you. And allows you to combat cravings and become used to eating a healthier diet. I have problems with eczema and during my first whole 30 determined that grains made my skin worse. I am doing another 30 days to get back on track..I truly enjoy this way of eating. It just takes awhile to undue 20+ years of poor food choices. I have calorie counted for years lost 80 pds twice..but the whole 30 actually taught me what I should be eating and why. There's so much more to it than being a fad diet..losing weight isn't even the purpose for doing it, they actually suggest not weighing yourself at all the entire program.

as far as tips go...I found it helpful to always have snacks on hand if you need them. I kept fruit and nuts with me all the time! Also, check out Pinterest for recipes. Coconut milk, and coconut aminos are useful in tons of recipes. Buy a really good olive oil and vinegar and make your own salad dressing! Also, dont be afraid to have dinner leftovers for breakfast. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message
  • lisah180
    Options
    Oh and always always read labels!! Sugar is in everything!
  • AMM160981
    AMM160981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 2 of my second round. I tried to do a 2nd round and made it through 15 days then quit. I need the reset. I think it is a great way to appreciate the food you eat and to see and FEEL the difference eating clean makes.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

My apples had no labels.

• lisah180
    Options
    Obviously I meant..cooking ingredients, condiments..etc. my garlic salt had sugar in it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Wife did the whole 30 things and did drop a few lbs. Of course, it teaches abstinence more than modification of eating habits, imho. They have some active forums online though, so might put in a Google search for Whole 30 to find others as well.

Good luck
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    and what is it that you are resetting specifically? :confused:
  • lisah180
    Options
    It's kind of like a fast..eat whole simple foods and get rid of all the chemicals and sugar and junk out of your system.

So..apparently this isn't a popular subject here.. I was just asking a simple question.

Thank you for everyone who offered any sort of suggestions or ideas.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What chemicals? What junk?
  • lisah180
    Options
    In processed food.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    No...I mean specifically...what chemicals and what junk?

The reason I ask is that if you can't answer this question, I would wonder why you would undertake this 'plan'.
  • OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hmm such negatively. I personally haven't done this but I'm starting next week. I have IBS and I am beginning to understand my triggers. I feel this programme will help me to work out my triggers. The 30 day period will help you to get rid of 'toxins' for you. Such as dairy which will take at least 14 days to remove from your system. As a means to an end the programme seems sound. People get defensive when they think you are doing it for weight loss only.
  • sevans85mfp
    sevans85mfp Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do what keeps you motivated. At the end of the day it's down to numbers so just be careful that you don't overeat the 'good stuff'

Good Luck and keep us updated
  • lisah180
    Options
    I'm not understanding this negativity.. It's just whole natural foods being eaten. Meat, fresh fruit and vegetables. Nuts and seeds. And it's 30 days.

If you were to have say a granola bar as a snack say 90 calories. A low calorie snack. That has 20+ ingredients in it. Have you ceocerturf ever looked at a nutritional label. Those..are the chemicals I speak off, that are in processed foods. You don't have to agree with my decision. But you also don't have to try and make me feel like an idiot.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    They're complaining over your use of the word 'chemicals', as everything is made up of some kind of chemical. Like bisodium carbonate (baking soda) or Hydrogen dioxide (water). Most things can be broken down into chemicals. I am sure they'd prefer it if you said that you were avoiding food additives or food that looks different from when it came out of the ground when you buy it.

I've done several whole 30's. I hope that you have good success on yours. I found that for me... Once I left my stay at home mom bubble, it was very difficult to keep up the strict paleo/whole foods lifestyle. Which then caused a ton of weight gain... because donuts! ;)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The only foods I eat regularly with sugar AND labels are pretty obvious -- plain yogurt (but it's lactose), ice cream, chocolate, stuff like that. I guess a bit in my smoked salmon (which should be obvious if you understand how smoked salmon is normally done). Oh, and actual sugar, although I don't use it much.

People who claim added sugar is in "everything" are making assumptions about how others eat.

Anyway, if Whole30 is something you enjoy, enjoy. I don't care for it because I think the idea of "resetting" the body is silly, and it causes me to be negative toward the whole thing, as that's basic claim of it is not real. I also think the arguments for not eating legumes and potatoes (that one has apparently finally been withdrawn) are weak.
  • lisah180
    Options
    I wasn't trying to make assumptions on how people eat at all. I meant for the whole 30 sugar is cut out. So I was just giving a previous poster who asked for advice, the heads up that sugar (while not in everything) okay you all got me there. But it is hidden in a lot of things. Mustard, spices, salad dressings etc.

Clearly I think this post has gone way out there and not what I intended.

I wish everyone well in their weight loss and or healthy lifestyle endeavors.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You are not a computer. You don't need resetting.
    Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it.
    Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days.

From the Whole30 site. Is there any research backing any of this up? Are they arguing that a significant number of people have food allergies they don't know about? Or are they saying that grains, legumes and dairy are inherently unhealthy?

If you like eating the way the program prescribes, great. But I think their claims are dubious.