Diet and calorie intake while seriously injured

Options
so I have always been the research kind of kid when it comes to fitness nutrition etc. It all worked very well for me before I got injured. I was 140 lbs, 5'7. I am now up to 180. Injury wise I am severely limited. I was working a high pace active job ( active duty military helicopter mechanic) but due to how bad my injuries are I now work a desk job. I recently started a low carb (a bit healthier version of a ketogenic diet) because of everything I have read about how women differ from men when it comes to how we burn carbs. Women do well on low carb diets because of this. My question is for those of you who have been seriously injured for a LONG period of time what worked for you and what didn't? I went from training for marathons and my active job to barely being able to work out a couple times a week and working a desk. My diet isn't exactly on point yet, I have never done a higher fat super low carb diet before so it's a learning process at the moment lol. I guess I'm aiming for a mix of paleo and keto, with lower cholesterol levels so no bacon or anything like that lol. Anyone who is a certified nutritionist, your advice would be greatly appreciated as well!

By the way injuries are lower back, hips, knees, shins, and feet. I have been injured for about 2 years, I'm a hot mess lol

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Take a step backwards one minute...

Weight is determined by the equation CI (Calories in) vs CO (Calories out).

When CI = CO, you neither gain nor lose
    When CI < CO, you lose weight
    When CI > CO, you gain weight

You can adjust either or both sides of the equation.

So with your injuries, it sounds like you can't do much to adjust the CO side...you're basically stuck with the number of calories your body is going to burn in a given day, and it may be difficult for you to burn additional through exercise, etc. So you will need to focus on the CI (eating) side.

My advise - take the next week or two and measure/weigh and log everything you eat. EVERYTHING. Figure out how many calories you're currently eating.

Once you've done that, set a calorie goal somewhat (200-400) calories a day less than that. Make that your goal. Continue to measure/weigh and log everything to ensure you're meeting that goal. Do that for a month and assess your results. Make any necessary adjustments from there.

Low carb in and of itself, doesn't guarantee a reduction in CI. For some people it will - others it won't. Try it if you think it's a lifestyle that will work for you, but ultimately you'll need to focus mostly on the calories in order to lose weight.
  • Brennabean
    Brennabean Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

So with your injuries, it sounds like you can't do much to adjust the CO side...you're basically stuck with the number of calories your body is going to burn in a given day, and it may be difficult for you to burn additional through exercise, etc. So you will need to focus on the CI (eating) side.

My advise - take the next week or two and measure/weigh and log everything you eat. EVERYTHING. Figure out how many calories you're currently eating.

Once you've done that, set a calorie goal somewhat (200-400) calories a day less than that. Make that your goal. Continue to measure/weigh and log everything to ensure you're meeting that goal. Do that for a month and assess your results. Make any necessary adjustments from there.

Low carb in and of itself, doesn't guarantee a reduction in CI. For some people it will - others it won't. Try it if you think it's a lifestyle that will work for you, but ultimately you'll need to focus mostly on the calories in order to lose weight.

I understand all that. I have been a frequent logger for a long time. Condiments everything gets logged wether it's on here or paper journal lol. (I use a digital scale and I also have an awesome liquid measuring cup for ounces) I also eat very clean always have since I joined the military. The hardest thing about being injured is not gaining weight, and everything the doctors say about your minimal calorie intake still makes you gain weight. I'll try reducing a little bit more and see where that gets me. I plan on going into all this for school but since I haven't done so yet it's hard figuring out where that magic number is to lose weight and not put yourself into a catabolic stage lol.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am the very definition of sedentary. I have a bad back, among other things.

My weight loss is completely dependent on what I eat, rather than any exercise.

MyFitnessPal has worked well for me because I can eat what I've always eaten, just in moderation. I aim for 80% of my daily calories from nutrient-dense food and 20% for treats. I'm not doing low carb. I'm set for the MFP default amounts of 50% carb, 30% fat, and 20% protein.

Accuracy is huge. To get your calorie intake as close to accurate as possible, as stated above, you need to weigh all your solid foods with a food scale and measure liquids with cups/spoons.

Portion control is what lets me eat what I want. I have a 35-calorie square of chocolate every day. I know I can have chocolate so I don't crave it. I have potato chips 2-3 times a week. Anything that I really want, I work it into my day or week.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been living with a knee injury for 2-3 years. I wasted a good chunk of time feeling very sorry for myself and this year I have promised myself to just move on and adjust!

Since I am limited, I am learning to be very good with my eating and I've slowly worked in workouts that use my lower body and it's going fine.

Before I couldn't really use my lower half at all workout-wise so I was focusing on abs/arms. Can you find out what exercises are safe so you can continue to be active? Can you walk for exercise? I can't really walk/run/jump and I've learned to work around those things.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You probably wont find a nutritionist here, but you will find some kindred research oriented souls.

High fat/low carb is a big change in eating. If you do not have an existing cholesterol problem, you probably don't need to worry about levels of dietary cholestérol - it will limit your food choices overmuch. I'm very sedentary and have lost a pound a week eating very low carb without much issue. Good luck!
  • seska422
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit equals weight loss. It's that simple.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

That's it. Adjust your calorie goals for your desired weight loss, stay within those goals, and you will lose weight. No exercise necessary.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

You should read what the op has written, it is pretty obvious she knows that.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

You should read what the op has written, it is pretty obvious she knows that.

No offense to OP, but if she truly understood it, there would have been no need for the questions posed in the OP at all.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You're not specific about your limitations other than the desk job. What does your doctor say? Are you in restraints like casts, etc. or are you mobile? Have you been to a physical therapist?

The bottom line about weight loss is calories in calories out and even sedentary people can lose weight. Activity is important to our general health and well being.

Again, not knowing the extent or limitations of your condition, my only question is have you looked into aquatic workouts?
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Brennabean wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I understand all that. I have been a frequent logger for a long time. Condiments everything gets logged wether it's on here or paper journal lol. (I use a digital scale and I also have an awesome liquid measuring cup for ounces) I also eat very clean always have since I joined the military. The hardest thing about being injured is not gaining weight, and everything the doctors say about your minimal calorie intake still makes you gain weight. I'll try reducing a little bit more and see where that gets me. I plan on going into all this for school but since I haven't done so yet it's hard figuring out where that magic number is to lose weight and not put yourself into a catabolic stage lol.

Minimal calorie intake still makes you gain weight? I would check to see that that doctor is actually licensed to practice medicine because even with the minimal nutritional training they get that makes no sense lol. Minimal for what... Survival? If you are gaining weight on the intake its not minimal its more energy than your body needs period. Not ifs, ands, or buts.

If low carb or keto works for you go for it but it's not some magical diet that women digest or lose weight better on. I love my carbs and weigh less than most people my height and have zero problem losing weight eating normal levels of carbs. However, low carb diet will greatly limit many high calories foods due to carb intake which may make it easier for some to control what they eat.

• Brennabean
    Options
    I have been living with a knee injury for 2-3 years. I wasted a good chunk of time feeling very sorry for myself and this year I have promised myself to just move on and adjust!

Since I am limited, I am learning to be very good with my eating and I've slowly worked in workouts that use my lower body and it's going fine.

Before I couldn't really use my lower half at all workout-wise so I was focusing on abs/arms. Can you find out what exercises are safe so you can continue to be active? Can you walk for exercise? I can't really walk/run/jump and I've learned to work around those things.

I was lifting 6 days a week but needed to take a break because I kept pulling muscles in my legs. My ortho told me weight lifting would help so I did it. (Also it was a SOLID lifting program a trainer gave me that is also certified in rehabilitation) As far as cardio it really depends on the day. Some days I can't do anything, but on good days I have been trying to work in hikes around the area for cardio. You can only do an hour of stair climbers for so many days and weeks before it drives you insane lol (I've always preferred the outdoors over a gym though) and then on good days I'll also add in walking on an incline. Downhills are what give me troubles or flat grounds that might actually work for you too with your knees, the problem I have most with these on bad days is chronic stress fractures in my shins. Cycling is an issue because it makes my knees click and pop and other nasty painful additions as well as elipticals. I'm planning on adding in some of the conditioning for strength and flexibility we did when I was a gymnast and see how that helps me out. I figure since I was injury free even training 8 hours a day at that point I was doing something right to stay that way lol.

And seska422 I do the same thing for my cravings lol. I make my own version of Nutella (sugar free) and work it in with my macro goals. Which on a higher fat diet it helps too. And like I said properly measuring foods isn't an issue with me lol.
  • Brennabean
    Options
    You're not specific about your limitations other than the desk job. What does your doctor say? Are you in restraints like casts, etc. or are you mobile? Have you been to a physical therapist?

The bottom line about weight loss is calories in calories out and even sedentary people can lose weight. Activity is important to our general health and well being.

Again, not knowing the extent or limitations of your condition, my only question is have you looked into aquatic workouts?

Been in and out of physical therapy atleast 6 rounds. The problem with aquatic workouts is either finding the right program that fits my schedule OR budget. It wasn't this expensive where I lived prior it's just a southern Cali thing lol. I found a program back home that I plan on joining when I get out. Limitations like I said depend on the stay. I literally have problems sitting in certain positions now or if I stand too long etc. On bad days I have problems doing really simple things like cleaning. It's crazy I've never had an injury like these. The major ones are whatever the technical term is for the arches in my feel collapsing (not a big deal I manage that fine other than random pain from it) but it caused me to blow out both knees, develop chronic stress fractures in both shins, which caused my hips to shift which caused an unnatural curve in my spine. All extremely painful. The shins being the worst. They recently changed my meds for those though so maybe that will help as well to be more active like I'm used to.
  • Brennabean
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm going to just make the assumption you have never been severely injured over a period of years straight and have it alter your life completely. Anyone who has been in the same boat will say that it isn't as easy as you think to find that new magical number range and macro ratios to support recovery and stay at your goal weight range.

heckla90: our doctors are educated they just don't give a *kitten* because they know they can't be sued for mal practice. I have horror stories for days. That's all branches of military. It's free medical they said... Lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    (deleted)
  • seska422
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm going to just make the assumption you have never been severely injured over a period of years straight and have it alter your life completely. Anyone who has been in the same boat will say that it isn't as easy as you think to find that new magical number range and macro ratios to support recovery and stay at your goal weight range.

heckla90: our doctors are educated they just don't give a *kitten* because they know they can't be sued for mal practice. I have horror stories for days. That's all branches of military. It's free medical they said... Lol
    Running is simple, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't take work. Weight loss is the same way.

You need to eat fewer calories than your body uses during the day. That number will be lower when you are sedentary than it was when you were active. You may have been able to eat 2500 calories a day to maintain your weight before and now you may only be able to eat 1600 calories if you want to maintain.

If you measure accurately and record everything that you consume for 4 weeks, you can see if you lose and how much. If you don't like the results, reduce your calories a bit and try for 4 more weeks.

I know it's different way of living. I know it's not how you want things to be, but it's how things are now that you can't exercise off excess calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Actually my answer came in hopes of reiterating, or reassuring you from what it sounded like you already knew. OBVIOUSLY, I was mistaken.
    ADDING: No I have never been injured long term (a year was the longest), but it will still work the same way, CICO. Hopefully you'll be able to swim at some point.