Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

(Unfortunately when the activity level drops suddenly ... like when you develop DVT after a long-haul flight ... it is difficult to readjust the eating adequately.)

Agree completely and OMG this happened to you??

Yep. Turns out I have a genetic predisposition toward developing blood clots.

I didn't figure I had anything at all to worry about. I'm active, I wasn't at all overweight then, and I'm the one walking up and down and up and down the airport when I travel.

But as the plane was circling Melbourne, I felt my left calf cramp. Oh well, I thought, I'll just walk it off. 6 weeks later I was in hospital with my left leg absolutely chalk full of clots. They kept me in for 2 weeks and by the time they let me out, I couldn't walk around the block without having to stop and rest. :(

And yep, even though I did try to adjust my diet ... I put on weight.

• Machka9
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    Agreed, definitely easier to eat calories faster than burn them.

Yes ... it does take a bit of a time commitment to burn the calories.

For example, if you're a cyclist ... I burn calories while cycling at a rate of about 100 cal for every 5 km. So if I want to eat that 1600 calorie pizza, I need to ride in the neighbourhood of 4 hours.

• Tunderlala
    Tunderlala Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I say 80 diet, 20 exercise :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

(Unfortunately when the activity level drops suddenly ... like when you develop DVT after a long-haul flight ... it is difficult to readjust the eating adequately.)

I didn't figure I had anything at all to worry about. I'm active, I wasn't at all overweight then, and I'm the one walking up and down and up and down the airport when I travel.

But as the plane was circling Melbourne, I felt my left calf cramp. Oh well, I thought, I'll just walk it off. 6 weeks later I was in hospital with my left leg absolutely chalk full of clots. They kept me in for 2 weeks and by the time they let me out, I couldn't walk around the block without having to stop and rest. :(

That must have been terrifying! What luck you had that nothing happened during those 6 weeks, and that you got help in time! Glad you pulled through. It's worth a bit of extra padding :) (Pulling through is worth it, not the DVT itself, obviously:/)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that happened to you, but if you had been eating in a calorie deficit, you would not have put on weight. A completely sedentary person can lose weight in a calorie deficit.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I look at losing weight as 80% diet and 20% exercise. Sure, you can only focus on what you eat, and you'll lose weight, but it might not give you the results you want. Same thing if you only focus on exercise. I believe it takes a healthy combination of the two working together.

I agree with this. I eat in a deficit and I exercise. I have played around with this and did some of my weight loss on diet alone, yes I lost weight, but I was always hungry. Than I added exercise with the deficit and I lost more weight and wasn't as hungry. So if you only want to lose weight and have no desire to exercise it can be done.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    I think the argument is more about the wording.

Overall deficit matters, not how you get there.

this.

And it was- pretty much at the top of the page- how are we still discussing this?
  • Machka9
    Options

That must have been terrifying! What luck you had that nothing happened during those 6 weeks, and that you got help in time! Glad you pulled through. It's worth a bit of extra padding :)

The 2 or 3 days just before I was hospitalised were the most terrifying. All of a sudden, I couldn't breathe. On the Monday, I walked out to meet my husband on his way home from work, like I usually did, and couldn't cover the 2 kilometres. I just couldn't breathe. He found me sitting on the path gasping for air.

The next day, I was trying to sweep the floor ... and couldn't do it. I just couldn't get enough air in to move a broom. And then suddenly the door swung open and my husband dashed inside, took one look at me, and practically carried me out to the car and to the Dr.

He said he had been working when all of a sudden he felt so strongly that he needed to get to me and get me to a Dr. Thank goodness he did. Even the ultrasound technician wouldn't let me leave the hospital, I was in that bad shape.

mccindy72 wrote: »

I'm sorry that happened to you, but if you had been eating in a calorie deficit, you would not have put on weight. A completely sedentary person can lose weight in a calorie deficit.

Yes, of course. Calories in < Calories out.

All I said was that it is difficult to readjust the eating to a new, much lower activity level, in order to attain that calorie deficit.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    OP, you are correct. As you mentioned, there are two parts to the equation... What you consume and what you burn. As long as what you burn (which includes exercise obviously) is higher than what you consume, you lose weight.

A calorie burned has the same affect as a calorie not eaten. While you don't need to exercise to lose weight, it can certainly help. I have a MUCH easier time maintaining a deficit on days that I run.

To say that exercise doesn't help is to ignore half of the picture.
  • Machka9
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    cityruss wrote: »
    I think the argument is more about the wording.

Overall deficit matters, not how you get there.

this.

And it was- pretty much at the top of the page- how are we still discussing this?

Right-o! :)

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

Your friends are indeed correct.

The worst thing an obese person can do is work out to drop weight. Doing so produces cortisol and slows losses. I dropped 173 lbs in 11 months with very little exercise at all (just walking), and I've seen around these parts that the most common mistake the obese make is all these crossfit-style, newfangled, hardcore body-shocker routines. Lots of insulin-resistant women keep messaging me about not being able to lose. I message them back and tell them to stop exercising...and they start losing. Never fails.
  • lillianoct21
    lillianoct21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    metcastillon wrote: »
    I look at losing weight as 80% diet and 20% exercise. Sure, you can only focus on what you eat, and you'll lose weight, but it might not give you the results you want. Same thing if you only focus on exercise. I believe it takes a healthy combination of the two working together.

I love eating good food so I would rather workout to have cal deficit then giving up food. :blush: Its also about our health not just weight loss.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Got into a discussion with some friends the other day regarding diet and exercise and losing weight, etc. One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet. I disagreed and said that whether you take in less calories (diet) or burn more calories (exercise), if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight, therefore exercise does in fact help you lose weight. She disagreed with me still.

Your thoughts?

Your friend is wrong.

That doesn't make you completely right, because you certainly can lose weight only via diet, but calorie expenditure is part of the equation, as you said. Exercise is a variable you can manipulate in that equation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

Your thoughts?

You are right. It's not just CI.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

I have a clotting issue as well and am currently on blood thinners probably for life. At one point years ago, I had a clot go from my leg into my lungs and was hospitalized.

I feel your pain.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make you completely right, because you certainly can lose weight only via diet, but calorie expenditure is part of the equation, as you said. Exercise is a variable you can manipulate in that equation.

I don't think the OP is stating that you have to exercise to lose weight, or that you can't lose weight by only controlling what you eat, he's just saying exercise helps you lose weight, which is completely right.
    I love eating good food so I would rather workout to have cal deficit then giving up food. :blush: Its also about our health not just weight loss.

I'm with you there! I love getting home after a long run and seeing 2500+ calories in my budget for the day.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It helps-ish. It's part of the "CO" part of the equation, but if it's the only thing you're doing to lose weight, unless you only have a few lbs to go, you will be sorely disappointed.
  • choligeetu
    choligeetu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My understanding would be weight loss is mainly due to diet, but the importance of exercise is that it makes you healthier and stronger!