Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    555_FILK wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I am literally sitting here shaking my head and wondering why there are so many people who think exercise isn't at least as important (if not more important), and even many who think it matters very little or not at all.

I'm shaking my head wondering why the same arguments keep getting repeated for 14 pages.

fpk8MhH.jpg

Because eventually one side will win, and then the interwebz will be theirs. B)

LOL this seems to be the case..

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Lol this is like asking 'why don't I have any money? Is it because I spend too much, or I don't earn enough?' It's very simple - you spend more than you earn, you lose money. Doesn't matter if you earn a million and spend a million and one pound, or whether you earn 10 pounds and spend 11.

Same with dieting. You have to burn more than you consume. Doesn't matter if you sit on your *kitten* all day, burn 1300 calories but only eat 1200, or spend six hours exercising, burn 4000 calories and eat 3900. A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit regardless of whether you exercise or not.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Lol this is like asking 'why don't I have any money? Is it because I spend too much, or I don't earn enough?' It's very simple - you spend more than you earn, you lose money. Doesn't matter if you earn a million and spend a million and one pound, or whether you earn 10 pounds and spend 11.

Same with dieting. You have to burn more than you consume. Doesn't matter if you sit on your *kitten* all day, burn 1300 calories but only eat 1200, or spend six hours exercising, burn 4000 calories and eat 3900. A calorie deficit is a calorie deficit regardless of whether you exercise or not.

So simple, yet seems to be so difficult for some people to comprehend :huh:

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    No, the assertion has not been made that exercise has zero impact on weight loss.

Except, it has:
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet.
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Fitness is very important--I weight lift and run and do other cardio, but I am very well aware it has nil to do with the very basics of weight loss.
    Weight management happens in the kitchen.
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I think exercise has zero bearing on losing weight.
    Exercise, in the big picture, is mostly irrelevant for most folks.

Way to cherry pick only the first sentence of my post. Weight loss CAN be achieved 100% through diet alone. That really is at the heart of what all of these people here are saying. Exercise, as I said above, CAN be used as another tool to aid in weight loss. It CAN have an impact on weight loss. It's simply not necessary for weight loss.
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No, the assertion has not been made that exercise has zero impact on weight loss.

Except, it has:
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    One of my friends said that exercise does not help you lose weight, it's 100% diet.
    Fitness is very important--I weight lift and run and do other cardio, but I am very well aware it has nil to do with the very basics of weight loss.
    Weight management happens in the kitchen.
    Kexessa wrote: »
    I think exercise has zero bearing on losing weight.
    Exercise, in the big picture, is mostly irrelevant for most folks.

Way to cherry pick only the first sentence of my post. Weight loss CAN be achieved 100% through diet alone. That really is at the heart of what all of these people here are saying. Exercise, as I said above, CAN be used as another tool to aid in weight loss. It CAN have an impact on weight loss. It's simply not necessary for weight loss.

But that's NOT at the heart of what they're saying. Those quotes are quite clear. You may not be saying that exercise doesn't contribute to weight loss, but others clearly are. And I'm simply asking those people if they calibrate their calorie counts against their TDEE.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Why do you keep banging on about weight loss can be achieved by diet alone as though its some sort of revelation, when that wasnt the question being asked by the OP. You just hijacked the thread and made it about what you wanted instead of being able to stick to the very simple point of whether exercise helps weight loss yes or no. Its obviously yes and that should have veen the end of the thread.

You could have started your own thread about can you lose weight by diet alone, but it would have been a very short one because nobody would have argued against it. Your responses are simply bizarre.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    This is from the CDC - Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity

Physical Activity for a Healthy Weight

Why is physical activity important?

Regular physical activity is important for good health, and it's especially important if you're trying to lose weight or to maintain a healthy weight.
    •When losing weight, more physical activity increases the number of calories your body uses for energy or "burns off." The burning of calories through physical activity, combined with reducing the number of calories you eat, creates a "calorie deficit" that results in weight loss.
    •Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake. However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity.
    •Most importantly, physical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes beyond that produced by weight reduction alone.

Physical activity also helps to–
    •Maintain weight.
    •Reduce high blood pressure.
    •Reduce risk for type 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke, and several forms of cancer.
    •Reduce arthritis pain and associated disability.
    •Reduce risk for osteoporosis and falls.
    •Reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.

I guess they are wrong too.

I am literally sitting here shaking my head and wondering why there are so many people who think exercise isn't at least as important (if not more important), and even many who think it matters very little or not at all.

its just so baffling to me, or is it just total stubbornness in not wanting to admit that you're just plain wrong?

I don't even know how to respond anymore, so I'm just going to take a back seat now.

How many people are creating a 500 calorie deficit daily mostly from extra exercise? That's what it would mean to be "at least as important if not more important" for weight loss. Weight loss. Not blood pressure, health, body composition or anything else, solely for weight loss. You keep arguing against people that don't exist.

Sorry but I'm not going to waste anymore time with this, because it's just become a waste of time at this point.

I showed my point, and people are going to think and do whatever they want.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Except, it has:

No, it hasn't, not by anyone here. By the OP's friend, yes

The way to deal with this if you want a clarification is to ask the person, you know.
    "Fitness is very important--I weight lift and run and do other cardio, but I am very well aware it has nil to do with the very basics of weight loss.... Weight management happens in the kitchen."

Seems to me her point is that you can lose weight without exercising; that the key is controlling intake and making sure it's less than maintenance--no matter what maintenance is. She doesn't say and I'm certain doesn't think that exercise has no effect on maintenance calories.

Don't know what Kexessa meant without the context, but ask her.
    "Exercise, in the big picture, is mostly irrelevant for most folks."

This is simply point out that "most people" either don't exercise enough for it to make much of a difference or tend to eat more to balance out the exercise if not watching intake somehow.

As I said in my first post on this thread I think it's mostly people agreeing but for some reason arguing with each other.

Oh, and then others going on about gluttony, who knows why.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    They should rename this forum from MyFitnessPal to MyCalorieInOnlyPal. Its obviously not very supportive of fitness.

And I am not saying that to be offensive, its just the vibe I get here from so many of the members. I understand that many people do not want to do exercise, but it seems like whenever the word fitness or exercise is mentioned as having any value, it gets attacked like its a bad word or something.

And this is supposed to be a fitness site. A site that 90+ percent of fitness trackers sync up with.

Something is wrong.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    You can't out run a bad diet, so if you're exercising, but eating like crap then it won't help. If you're eating well and in a deficit, but do not exercise, you will still lose weight. Using exercise to create a deficit is fine, but you still have to eat well.

If by "eat well", you mean "clean" (whatever that means to you), low carb, low fat, no dairy, no sugar, no fast/processed/packaged food or any other diet restricting the choice of food, you are are wrong. If you're eating like crap and in a deficit, but do not exercise, you will still lose weight. Because it's all about CICO, regardless of the quality of the calorie.

Choosing "higher quality" calories will provide for better health, but is not necessary for weight loss.

I chose to exercise to allow me a calorie deficit while eating ALL the foods I enjoy, increase my cardiovascular/heart health and increase my strength and flexibility.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Why do you keep banging on about weight loss can be achieved by diet alone as though its some sort of revelation, when that wasnt the question being asked by the OP. You just hijacked the thread and made it about what you wanted instead of being able to stick to the very simple point of whether exercise helps weight loss yes or no. Its obviously yes and that should have veen the end of the thread.

You could have started your own thread about can you lose weight by diet alone, but it would have been a very short one because nobody would have argued against it. Your responses are simply bizarre.

not sure exactly what you are referring to, as there are several people talking about the fact that exercise is one factor in weight loss, but not necessary for it. I'm not the only one. I haven't 'hijacked' anything. The OP asked a question, every I and others have posted are in reference to that and comments made in regards to responses to that.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    They should rename this forum from MyFitnessPal to MyCalorieInOnlyPal. Its obviously not very supportive of fitness.

Again with lying about what other people have said.

NO ONE has said people shouldn't exercise. Most of the people you think you are arguing with exercise a lot.

Why are you bending over backwards to misunderstand people, to claim they don't care about fitness, when they do, and to call people gluttons?
  • mccindy72
    Options

And I am not saying that to be offensive, its just the vibe I get here from so many of the members. I understand that many people do not want to do exercise, but it seems like whenever the word fitness or exercise is mentioned as having any value, it gets attacked like its a bad word or something.

And this is supposed to be a fitness site. A site that 90+ percent of fitness trackers sync up with.

Something is wrong.

you are only seeing what you want to see. We can't make you understand what you're refusing to read. Most of us you're arguing with do exercise, and advocate for it if it's possible. I'm never going to tell anyone that exercise is absolutely necessary to lose weight, because I don't want to negate the truth that anyone can lose weight. Which is a fact. Of course fitness is important. However, so is weight loss. And if that's all that's possible for someone, then that's what I would want that person to choose, rather than to give up because they can't do both.
  • teresafrankhauser
    teresafrankhauser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion.

I have lost a lot of weight by just working out in the past, I was young and very fit but my diet was poor. The problem with this method is that if you still eat poorly you are at risk for diabeties, heart disease etc over time (yes skinny people can have diabetes and heart disease too)…

I have also lost a lot of weight by eating mainly a meat and veggie diet, my problem with this method is that I often run into nutritional deficiencies so I take a lot of supplements and get blood work every 6 months. My spinal injury prevents me from doing strenuous activities so I only walk and do yoga for excersie now.

There are pros and cons to both methods but from a physiological prospective the healthy way is incorporating both into a healthy life style routine. Taking care not to over exercises or under eat.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    By the OP's friend, yes

But, the OP's friend is the whole point of the thread! If everyone agrees that OP's friend is wrong, why are there 14 pages of debate???
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I had 65 miles worth of cycling at 17+ mph this weekend

It is worth quite a few calories

I don't eat back even 1/3 of them.

I anticipate it will help me lose weight

Why would exercise not?

I feel it is 60/40 diet and exercise

MFP days I need 1600 calories with a desk job. A 35 mile ride burns that.

I guess it depends on how much you exercise as to how effective exercise
    Is for weight loss

I am going to assume most people would hold fairly close to the MFP calories.

Not talking about eating a box of doughnut for breakfast, double whopper with cheese for lunch, and two trips thru Golden Corral feeding trough.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    By the OP's friend, yes

But, the OP's friend is the whole point of the thread! If everyone agrees that OP's friend is wrong, why are there 14 pages of debate???

Beats me. Like I said before, it seemed to me most people were agreeing without realizing it.