Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    To say it doesn't "help" you lose weight is plainly false and almost laughable. A 20% contribution to weight loss is help. I do think that food is way more important, but that's just statistically accurate.

I think the best statement would have been

It might not help you lose weight...

In what scenario would it not help?

ah...when it doesn't put you in a deficit...

help =/= cause

where did I say cause...I said the best statement would have been it might not help...not it doesn't help...

and exercise might not help with weight loss...it can but no guarantee.
    To say it doesn't "help" you lose weight is plainly false and almost laughable. A 20% contribution to weight loss is help. I do think that food is way more important, but that's just statistically accurate.

But exercise always burns calories. That means it always contributes, which is another word for helps.

it always burns but doesn't always create a deficit...so it may not contribute to weight loss...

aka run 30mins burn 300 under TDEE...eat another 300...guess what that run isn't going to help you lose weight

I can't tell if you are being serious? But saying exercise won't help with weight loss is an inherently untrue statement. For it to help with weight loss there would have to be weight loss. And I think we can all agree that for there to be weight (fat) loss there must be a calorie deficit.

You are still arguing cause and not help.

I can't tell if you are being serious either...no where did I say it won't help...

I said it might not help and you disagreed...hence my disbelief too...because exercise might not help weight loss...and that is truth period.

Exercise can help with weight loss but....BUT it is not a guarantee.

People can't just exercise, eat all the food, put themselves over TDEE and expect to lose weight...hence it MIGHT NOT HELP would be the best statement to use instead of it doesn't help per the OP.

I am not arguing cause...I am saying the statement "exercise doesn't help weight loss" is untrue and the statement "exercise MIGHT NOT help weight loss" should be used instead...

I will however never recommend creating a deficit with exercise...ever.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bearing in mind the question asked was....
    "Exercise doesn't help you lose weight...say what?"

Exercise certainly helped me lose weight and then helped me maintain weight.

I like both exercise and food so it's a win/win for me. I achieve my desired calorie balance far easier when I don't have to significantly restrict my food intake. It's a huge adherence factor for me.

My cycling alone this year has been 246 hours, at a rough 500 cal/hour that's 123,000 extra calories of tasty food I've enjoyed eating.

Easier adherence and enjoyment = helps.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

help =/= cause

where did I say cause...I said the best statement would have been it might not help...not it doesn't help...

But exercise always burns calories. That means it always contributes, which is another word for helps.

it always burns but doesn't always create a deficit...so it may not contribute to weight loss...

aka run 30mins burn 300 under TDEE...eat another 300...guess what that run isn't going to help you lose weight

If you eat at a surplus but exercise, you'll gain less weight than if you eat at the same surplus and don't exercise. Exercise always helps. It's an unavoidable mathematical truth.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My thoughts, you don't need exercise to lose weight - obviously. However, I need it mentally to lose weight. It's easier for me to make healthier food choices, snack less, not have several after work drinks...etc with a workout under my belt for the day. Resulting in me having a decent deficit and still enjoying some foods I love that are calorie dense. I feel like I'm in control of my body when I exercise, vs relying on just my diet.

I have a desk job, when I don't work out - to lose a pound a week, I only have like 1320 calories for the day. That's so sad... haha.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

help =/= cause

I can't tell if you are being serious? But saying exercise won't help with weight loss is an inherently untrue statement. For it to help with weight loss there would have to be weight loss. And I think we can all agree that for there to be weight (fat) loss there must be a calorie deficit.

You are still arguing cause and not help.

I can't tell if you are being serious either...no where did I say it won't help...

I said it might not help and you disagreed...hence my disbelief too...because exercise might not help weight loss...and that is truth period.

Exercise can help with weight loss but....BUT it is not a guarantee.

People can't just exercise, eat all the food, put themselves over TDEE and expect to lose weight...hence it MIGHT NOT HELP would be the best statement to use instead of it doesn't help per the OP.

I am not arguing cause...I am saying the statement "exercise doesn't help weight loss" is untrue and the statement "exercise MIGHT NOT help weight loss" should be used instead...

I will however never recommend creating a deficit with exercise...ever.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, or just disagree. Exercise helps with weight loss is an inherently true statement.

Suggesting exercise as the sole means of weight loss is not the subject at hand.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

help =/= cause

If you eat at a surplus but exercise, you'll gain less weight than if you eat at the same surplus and don't exercise. Exercise always helps. It's an unavoidable mathematical truth.

that has nothing to do with my statement of "exercise might not help you lose weight"...

exercise always helps with health and fitness...
    exercise always helps you burn more calories....

BUT

it doesn't always help create a calorie deficit to lose weight...that is unavoidable truth.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

help =/= cause

that has nothing to do with my statement of "exercise might not help you lose weight"...

BUT

it doesn't always help create a calorie deficit to lose weight...that is unavoidable truth.

You are misusing words.

Edit: What I mean is this. I can't help you down the stairs unless you go down the stairs. I can't help you make lasagna unless you make lasagna. Exercise can't help create a calorie deficit unless you create a calorie deficit.

But if you do, it will help.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Both exercise and diet are critical. Unless you are bedridden and cannot perform any exercise this is a moot point as your activity level is a variable in any calorie estimation.

I look to the successful - the National Weight Control Registry which shows that those who have lost 50+ pounds and maintained this for over one year:

98% of Registry participants report that they modified their food intake in some way to lose weight.
    94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    The OP is true for the majority of dieters, I see it all the time, the people who come into the gym all the time year after year and look the same. The majority of dieters don't track calories. Hell, even some people who are in great shape don't track calories at all like my current workout buddy. I think this will change soon as my progress is making him pretty jealous. Those same dieters who avoid the simple act of tallying their calories reward themselves for exercise nullifying the extra burn. Even if they don't actively reward themselves, exercise makes us hungrier plain and simple.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    The OP is true for the majority of dieters, I see it all the time, the people who come into the gym all the time year after year and look the same. The majority of dieters don't track calories. Hell, even some people who are in great shape don't track calories at all like my current workout buddy. I think this will change soon as my progress is making him pretty jealous. Those same dieters who avoid the simple act of tallying their calories reward themselves for exercise nullifying the extra burn. Even if they don't actively reward themselves, exercise makes us hungrier plain and simple.

You mean the ones who think, "Whew, that 15 minutes on the elliptical was exhausting! I certainly earned this double cheeseburger, extra-large fries and banana split!". :D
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but as the question is asked....yes, exercise does indeed potentially help with weight loss. If we are doing the whole CICO thing, then exercise would fit in the CO side of the equation. So, if you increase exercise you are increasing CO.....

Now, that said, do we need to exercise to loose weight? No. Plain and simple we could simply live in a caloric deficit (CI < CO) and loose weight.

Using TDEE might offer a slightly different perspective......where TDEE = BMR + PAL + NEAT + TEF.

So, in summary, as the question is asked.....yes, exercise - if employeed - could indeed help one to loose weight. Not necessary to loose weight, but if employeed it could possibly help. Also, assuming that exercise is employeed, that does not guarantee that one will loose weight. That is essentially a matter of CICO.....

Any questions? :smiley:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I think diet is most important with losing weight because it is easier.

Disagree strongly. It's much easier (and a billion times more pleasant) to go for a bike ride around the lake for 1 hour than to be hungry and feel deprived for 24 hours.

This is my take also. I also find my walk/hiking/cycling time is MY time and definitely helps improve my mental health.
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    Read “The First Twenty Minutes.” Lots of the most recent science on diet and exercise. More regular test subjects rather than elite male athlete test subjects.
    I found it fascinating that a study on normal people of both genders showed that very few people lose weight running. I knew that!

I can second this is a great book! First because it confirmed a lot of things I already believed in, such as stretching before running is not a great idea, been saying that forever. :) But there were also many topics that I had no idea about. I strongly recommend it to anyone living an active/athletic lifestyle. You will be fascinated with all the myth busting and inspired in new ways!
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nope it doesn't make you lose weight, it makes you lose inches... depending on the exercise of course ;)
  • SezxyStef
    Options

help =/= cause

BUT

You are misusing words.

Edit: What I mean is this. I can't help you down the stairs unless you go down the stairs. I can't help you make lasagna unless you make lasagna. Exercise can't help create a calorie deficit unless you create a calorie deficit.

But if you do, it will help.

wow...accept vs except those are two words that are often misused...there, they're, their...too, two, to....help vs cause in this case.

Help is defined as giving aid...or make something easier for someone

exercise does not always make it easier for someone to lose weight.

exercise can help but does not always.

PS there isn't a strict definition in the english language for any word

but I knew an hour ago that this could go on and on and I am bowing out of this particular debate....I have exercise to do.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Given the age of the thread I probably already said this in here, but considering an hour of exercise can be nullified by 5 minutes of eating is a clear sign of what people should probably concentrate on first and foremost.

An hour spent exercising is an hour spent not eating in front of the TV.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

help =/= cause

BUT

Exercising burns more calories than not exercising. In what reality does that not contribute? Nobody is saying exercise is there sole means of weight loss, so let's about that strawman and focus on how burning more calories doesn't help with burning more calories.
  • pagewuskynykfit
    pagewuskynykfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It’s more of a 80% diet 20% working out. Even if you’re eating healthy all day, but just sitting on the couch not moving all day, you’ll still gain weight.
    You need to eat less calories than you burn in a day to be losing weight. And to build muscle you need to be eating the proper “macro nutrients”