how do you eat your veggies ?

Options
I know that I need to eat more veggies and limit my breads .I plan to eat more chicken with veggie sides.

I'd like some ideas on veggie sides dishes...all I can think about is steamed veggies and that can get old quickly.

Replies

• Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Both grilled and roasted vegetables are delicious!
  • sexylily
    sexylily Posts: 68
    Options
    Steam veggies with light cheese sauce ;0)
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I like mine grilled on a kebab next to chicken and steak. DELISH!

**I can't believe I forgot to mention stir-fry as well!
  • sarabellum
    sarabellum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Since it's summer - I love love love grilled veggies (peppers, asparagus, etc) so that's always a great option with chicken - also I like to experiment with salads and make them as filling as possible.
    Taco salad is my fave - with extra lean ground beef/turkey/chicken with low sodium taco seasoning, lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, and salsa - it's SO GOOD and so filling. Also grilled chicken salad with berries and raspberry vinegrette, toasted almonds and feta cheese is RIDICULOUSLY good. For real.
    Hope you can find something that keeps you interested and eating your veggies :)
  • nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    Options
    i buy bulk fresh veggies, and repack them for my day! I love them crunchy, dipped in light Laughing Cow cheese!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i buy a frozen 3 pepper and onion blend from my grocery store and i love to saute it in a little teriyaki sauce and put it over brown rice. soo yummy!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sam;s Club has good frozen veggie mix, all you have to do is seam them with a little water, they taste great
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I like to use sliced cucumbers or carrots (or really any veggie) and dip in hummus.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I either steam them, or cut them up spray a little olive oil on them and cook them on the stove. I love to sprinkle some low fat parmesean cheese on it to.
  • Polefit163
    Polefit163 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is not a side but have you tried smoothies, I love to add spinach. They can be really yummy and another way to sneak in veggies. You can add all kinds of fruits and veggies.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I steam broccoli and sprinkle a bit of parmesan or romano. For green beans, I steam them and then toss them with pine nuts that I brown in some Pam in a pan. Other veggies are great roasted and now that summer is almost here, on the grill is always a great way to go. I also tend to cook enough at dinner to save some for leftovers for my lunch the next day since it saves me time prepping my lunch in the morning if all I have to do is pack up leftovers.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Both grilled and roasted vegetables are delicious!
    Yes! I hated Brussels sprouts until I realized that was because my mom bought frozen ones and boiled them to death. I blanch them and roast in the oven with a bit of balsamic vinegar and love them. Golden beets roasted with potatoes are also good.

I toss loads into salad, or blanch and make a cold salad with tomato. I add kale or spinach to smoothies and juices. The fruit covers the veggie taste so it's a good way to get in veg if you don't particularly care for them. I make a paste with curry powder, parsley and a bit of water, then add steamed cauliflower. make a salsa with corn, tomato, black beans and a tiny bit of jalapeno.

I'm vegetarian and I love veggies.
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    I hide mine lol, cauliflower bread or cauliflower pizza crust, squash fried,spinach or kale chips....You can do so many things with them to replace other habits. When you get time look them up and check out the recipes.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a veggie freak! I could NEVER be a vegatarian, I love meat to much!
    But I eat veggies all the time. MY favorite(s) are corn (off the cob) either microwaved(yea, I know.) with onions and peppers, and a slight touch of some margrine replacement.(Less than a 1/4 teaspoon)

Sauteed fresh green beans with almonds slivers are always a favorite. (Woman I cook for like it) I try all different varations, really low on oils. Sub soy sauce or wine or anything else I can think of.

Green beans with onions. Sometimes it becomes onions with green beans.

Cooked acorn squash

Any kind of carrots! Cooked, raw, microwaved.

Grilled sweet potatoes(A new found receipe)

Grilled aspargus, soaked in wine and dill. (Woman I cook for like it)

Broccoli ANY way possible. (raw, steamed, boiled,)

When all else fails parmesan cheese is your friend!

I use http://allrecipes.com/Default.aspx all the time. I just watch what I put in mty veggies. Very lite oils, NO BUTTER,
  • CaroseH
    CaroseH Posts: 72
    Options
    Roasting is the magic word when it comes to veggies, toss anything (carrots, peppers, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, potatoes, mushrooms, etc etc etc) in a little bit of olive oil (yay healthy monounsaturateds!) and leave in your oven for 20-40 minutes on high temp, and your veggies will be perfect, and UBER delicious. As in I can eat an entire pan of roasted carrots and peppers EASY.

Plus it's so simple!
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks you ! Now I"m cravings all sorts of veggies ! :laugh:

Grocery shooping tommorow will write down your tips ...thank you !!!!!!:flowerforyou: :drinker: :smooched:
  • bjscmg
    bjscmg Posts: 77
    Options
    I hide mine lol, cauliflower bread or cauliflower pizza crust, squash fried,spinach or kale chips....You can do so many things with them to replace other habits. When you get time look them up and check out the recipes.

My bad i meant squash french fries, dang smart phone!
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I usually season with olive oil, garlic (either fresh or dried), and then randomly pick one or more herbs to sprinkle on (again either fresh or dried)...then toss in a pan, on the grill, or in the microwave if I'm lazy. Then when I'm eating them I may add some sea salt and pepper.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Peel and Slice some Cucumbers (about 1/8th of an inch) and put them in a strainer, then sprinkle them liberally with salt and let them sit for about half an hour. Then rinse the hell out of them to get all the salt off (the salt draws out excess moisture and bitterness from the cuke). Put them in a bowl with some super thinly sliced onion, a couple dollops of light or ff sour cream, some dill, and a little black pepper. Nummies!

You can also take a fresh head of broccoli, bake it till it's kinda crisp/tender (don't know how else to describe it) and then sprinkle with a little bit of olive oil, lemon juice and parmesan cheese. For a quicker version you can heat up some frozen broccoli florets in the microwave, drain the juice, then sprinkle with the same mixture of oil, lemon and cheese.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    drizzle with oliive oil. grill or sautee them and add some parmesean cheese on top.....or you can bake them and add the cheese....the most important part is that you get the cheese on there somehow...haha