Pre-workout supplements (energy & focus) - RECS?

Options
CoconuttyMummy
CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
edited July 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Eazy peoples. Im cutting at the mo, so calorie deficit and lifting 5x week. Goals are to obviously lose weight (just 7 pounds from end target) but im focused on stripping fat whilst pushing as much lean muscle mass increases as i can from my lifts, via new gains (and yup, its working ok so far - obviously id be packing on way more muscle eating at maintenance or excess, but im still recomping at a deficit, so.. whilst fat loss is my main priority, im still making small gains in muscle mass.

Anyhoo.. my question...

I take a Pre-Workout. I dont want anyone telling me i dont need to, or i shouldnt or w/e - im lifting at a deficit, im training hard, im a full-time mum, and i train late... yes, i DO need a pre-w/o to get through my workouts right now, and i have no problem with this. I'll take w/e i need to to get the job done atm. So...

WHICH PRE-WORKOUTS DO YOU TAKE or RECOMMEND?

Im looking mainly for energy focus & endurance for tough lifting sessions. Improved pumps would be a big bonus, but im mostly concerned with an intense energy burst and getting mentally charged.

Ive been taking 1.5 scoops ON Pre-Workout with an extra 200mg caffeine, but i need to switch it up for something with more oomph if possible. Any ideas guys?

Replies

• acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use Cellucor's C4. It tastes decent. Gives me a good boost for my hardest days, but I try to stay away from it if I don't need it, since its a toooon of caffiene. I can't do the max allowed dose (2 scoops) because once my heart rate gets into the cardio zone, I feel like I'm gonna throw up. But 1 scoop works and feels great, and gives me about 5 hours of energy without a terrible crash. The only problem is it kinda constipates me until the next morning.

I've also tried NLA For Her: Uplift -- and it tasted like ground up aspirin. Absolutely hated it.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Black coffee, if not caffeine pills. Optimum nutrition has a good reputation and I would suggest sticking to a company that won't spike your pre-work out with who knows what.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Pro labs caffein pills. Don't need anything more.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I just finished up a container of Cellucor's C4 50x, which was pretty decent for focus and endurance but I personally didn't get the pump I hoped for. 1MR has done me well in the past for the energy too. This time, I'm going after the MusclePharm Wreckage. Good luck.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    labohn91 wrote: »
    Black coffee, if not caffeine pills. Optimum nutrition has a good reputation and I would suggest sticking to a company that won't spike your pre-work out with who knows what.

LOL, i drink black coffee all day by the gallon - no effects even before bed. :)

• CoconuttyMummy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Pro labs caffein pills. Don't need anything more.

Erm.. did you read my post? Not cutting it, bro/.

• CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    I use Cellucor's C4. It tastes decent. Gives me a good boost for my hardest days, but I try to stay away from it if I don't need it, since its a toooon of caffiene. I can't do the max allowed dose (2 scoops) because once my heart rate gets into the cardio zone, I feel like I'm gonna throw up. But 1 scoop works and feels great, and gives me about 5 hours of energy without a terrible crash. The only problem is it kinda constipates me until the next morning.

I've also tried NLA For Her: Uplift -- and it tasted like ground up aspirin. Absolutely hated it.

I was looking at C4 Cellucor - heard a few good things. Sounds like an option. Thanks, sugar.

• CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    wisenbsd wrote: »
    I just finished up a container of Cellucor's C4 50x, which was pretty decent for focus and endurance but I personally didn't get the pump I hoped for. 1MR has done me well in the past for the energy too. This time, I'm going after the MusclePharm Wreckage. Good luck.

You'll have to let me know how you get on with MP Wreckage.

• dawkpound2k
    dawkpound2k Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    try Betancourt Nutrition Bullnox Androrush its a nice slow burn that will help you through those last few sets. I love it. I use it on two weeks and off a week
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree on the c4, Its my go to and has several flavors. I am currently using EVL in grape flavor and its similar to c4

No Xplode is good for energy I just havent used it for a while.

Ones I dont care for are white flood, Bullnox and Anarchy.

I take 1.5 - 2 scoops of whatever I am using at the moment!! Good Luck.

Also I order off bodybuilding.com shipping is normally no more than 2 days
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    OK, so far ive ordered:

.. White Flood & 1MR original (really impressed with the price of 1MR).

Im gona stretch to 1 more for variety... i reeally need to find me my perfect rocket fuel!

Its looking like C4 50x, but so far its coming up way expensive on the UK sites i usually use, so i'll wait to see if anyone else comes up with any more contenders before i pull the trigger.

Off to read some more BB.com reviews whilst i wait for any more suggs from you fine people :)
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    I use Finaflex Stimul8 in Tropical Storm. I have to force it down quick but it does the trick. I work out in the morning and its the only thing I've found that gives me the jolt and doesn't wreck me after. Word to the wise, I take in 15 minutes before or less usually because it kicks in fast. I usually slam it when I'm driving to the gym and by the time I get there I'm pumped. Also, I can't handle drinking coffee in the AM on the days I take it. So I might work out at 6-7am, I still feel the jitters until 11am-12pm.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Hmm.. just thinking.. ( and yup, it did hurt :wink: )

I wonder if throwing a thermogenic/stim fat burner into my stack might amp up my pre-workout enough to get the charge i need atm, whilst increasing my fat burning potential?

Like, people do take fat burners and pre-workouts at the same time, right? Or is this not a good idea? (just to confirm, im very stim tolerant - ECA stacks just refresh me a little, so i can handle more uppers than most, id say). Im just concerned whether stacking with an extra fat burner with a strong pre-workout would add anything positive to my energy, focus, endurance & fat burning potential, or if it would do nothing extra but waste money? Whaduya thunk?
  • fapena126
    fapena126 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally I take 1 of my NLA for Her Shred Her Thermogenic Fat Burners as soon as I wake up and then a couple hours before my cardio/weight training sessions I will take 1 scoop of the NLA for her Uplift in cherry limeade (which doesn't taste too bad!) they both give me that extra energy, focus and endurance I need to push through my busy days and well into my late evening workouts! Best of luck to you. Hope you find something that works! :)
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I take C4 on leg day, but only 1scoop. it seems to work really well for me. Makes me sweat a lot. The fruit punch isn't bad but I may try the cherry lime aid the next time.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    fapena126 wrote: »
    Personally I take 1 of my NLA for Her Shred Her Thermogenic Fat Burners as soon as I wake up and then a couple hours before my cardio/weight training sessions I will take 1 scoop of the NLA for her Uplift in cherry limeade (which doesn't taste too bad!) they both give me that extra energy, focus and endurance I need to push through my busy days and well into my late evening workouts! Best of luck to you. Hope you find something that works! :)

Awesome.

I'll start searching for a fat burner to stack with my pre-w/o.

For pre-workouts ive now bought White Flood, 1MR & Mr Hyde, and im going to grab a tub of C4 50x when i get back from vacay. That'll give me a nice little collection to test and cycle (with a whole world of stacking possibilities!).

Any recs, anyone, for a decent fat burner supp'? Im not much for female-oriented products (for some reason i always think theyll be weaker).

• CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Well, White Flood, 1MR & Mr Hyde pre's have all arrived. I'm hitting bis/tris tonight and just took 2 scoops of White Flood 20 mins ago to try. I dont feel anything yet, which is a bit concerning, but maybe its a slow grower, theres still probably 15 mins chance left for it to kick in. Its got great reviews for stim action so im hopeful i'll feel an energy jolt soon.

Anyhoo, for anyone interested, i'll check back and report how the White Flood went, compared to my usual ON Pre-Workout, after my workout.

OK, i need to annihilate my arms now.... :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I actually like NO Xplode. I can't take C4 without getting the jitters and panic attacks

good luck! I hate the taste of 1mr. ;)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    Back! Arms finished. OK train, but not firing at annihilation levels unfortunately. Im not sure how i feel about the White Flood tbh. From the reviews i read i was expecting a really intense rush, but i felt like i had had nothing for the 1st 40 mins and then realised that i was in fact much more awake than i had been, and i did have more energy and focus, but it felt natural - gentle and very clean feeling. I didnt get any tingles, rushes, rages or intense feelings of any kind - just a smooth, mild increase of energy and focus.

Im not sure how i feel about White Flood just yet. It isnt the rocket fuel i was hoping for, thats for sure. Its effects just arent as powerful as i was expecting in any area. But i do like how clean it feels - no jitters or anxiety or peculiar sensations.

Im underwhelmed, but compared to taking nothing White Flood is a god send.

Compared to ON Pre i would say it tastes MUCH better, slightly less pump, less intense energy but cleaner, more natural feeling & much longers lasting (no crash).

I'll try Mr Hyde tomorrow night. If i like Hyde i might get Dr Jekyll to stack with it.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I actually like NO Xplode. I can't take C4 without getting the jitters and panic attacks

good luck! I hate the taste of 1mr. ;)

I used to quite like NO Xplode, but im Keto now and its too high calorie/carbs.

I was surprised how nice White Flood tasted - al the other pre's ive tried taste disgusting! Sounds like 1MR will be the same, then.