Do you buy clothes that are in your goal size?

Options
I have about 50 pounds to go, but I can't wait to start buying clothes in a size 6 or 4!! I already have some from when I was thin. And, I've bought the cutest Lilly Pulitzer dress on Ebay, with a pink perfume bottle print, in a size 4. I have never really been a clothes person, until I got so fat I couldn't wear cute clothes.

Is this a bad idea?? Have you bought clothes that are too small, hoping that you will fit into them one day?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes I do buy in my goal size but only because I'm at goal ...and that goal size varies by up to 3 manufacturer sizes from a UK 8 to a 12 (US 4 to 8)

I suggest you wait until you are...you have no idea what will fit or suit ...and sizes are so variable from line to line
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    No. I have no idea what size will fit in each store when I'm at goal. I have periodically tried on old, smaller clothes, but I wouldn't actually spend money on anything quite yet.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I feel it might be harder for some women to future shop at smaller sizes than for some men.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No, because there's no real way to predict your size when you drop 50 pounds. By all calculations I should have been a 6, but I'm a 10-12 depending on the brand due to hips and muscles.

Plus, it's more fun to shop for and see the clothes on yourself when you are at your goal.
  • acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Quick tip - if you are trying on the same jeans over and over to see if you fit in them - make sure you wash them sometimes, because they get stretched out. They may fit when stretched but not when freshly washed!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    No. I don't know what it is. I do buy clothes a few sizes down, though. When I ordered my 14s, I also ordered the same clothes in 12 and 10. I didn't order 8s because I wasn't sure I'd get that small.

Now, I know I will be an 8 and wish I had, because some of those shorts are no longer available. But it's hard, when you're in 16 to imagine that you'll really get to an 8.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Nope, I do not buy clothes that don't fit. Now, I do still have some old things I USED to be able to wear (but can't now, lol).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I feel it might be harder for some women to future shop at smaller sizes than for some men.
    Yeah. My inseam won't change, only my waist. I know exactly what size jeans I'd need.

• Rheameg
    Rheameg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have totally thought about it, but I haven't yet.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    When my clothes start getting a little loose, I buy the next size down and periodically try them on to see when they fit. And sizing is ridiculous. I'm wearing size 14 pants today that are huge on me (I can curtsy in them); so I tried on another pair that had been too small, and they now fit. They're a size 16...
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Nope. I never imagined I'd wear such a small size when I got to where I wanted. I'd have a bunch of too big clothes if I had bought at the size I thought I would be. As is it I own mostly scrubs and work so much most of my clothes are old and too big but I'm afraid to change them out in case I gain again (it's only a 12 lb difference between them and where I am now).
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I've mostly regretting doing this in the past. The way I have come to think about it is: there are ALWAYS clothes that I want when I see them in the store. When the time comes that you get to a new size, there will be something new that you love then, and you can buy it then knowing that it will fit.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Nope. What if I never get there? It would be a waste of money. I buy clothes that fit now and get rid of all my too-big clothes because if those fit again, I have gained weight. I don't want that temptation.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yeah. My inseam won't change, only my waist. I know exactly what size jeans I'd need.

My waist is actually getting smaller quicker than my thighs. I still have a lot of fat there that has to go.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I bought most of my clothes in a uk10 but gained approx 14lbs and couldn't wear them. I lost the weight plus an extra 14lbs but was afraid to try them on in case they still didn't fit. I'm now a UK 6-8 and having to buy new basics and tailor the other things!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

My waist is actually getting smaller quicker than my thighs. I still have a lot of fat there that has to go.
    Mine is too -- down 21 inches as of this morning -- but I don't wear skinny jeans. There's plenty of leg room, still.

I'm not sure that I'll ever put on enough bulk in my quads or hamstrings that I'd need bigger-waisted pants to accommodate them. I'll "worry" about that if it ever happens.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    No, I'm down 20lb and haven't bought any clothes in that timeframe (2 months). I'm happy not to buy any new clothes until I hit my goal weight (another ~25lb or so)
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I bought a couple of pieces a size down so if I go somewhere nice I'll have something to wear but until I know where I end up, it isn't very cost effective.
  • keana55
    keana55 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm nearing the end of my long journey (one size down to go) so if I see something I like one size smaller I buy it. The confidence to reach my goal is very high! When starting MFP, I already had clothes that were several sizes too small so I picked a shirt out a size smaller and hung it in a prominent place in my closet. I'd try it on every month and go brag to my husband when it fit! Great feeling of accomplishment. Also enjoyed donating the too large clothes to charity. I'm not going back cause ain't got no clothes to wear!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not at goal size, I have no idea what size that will be but I have bought a couple pieces that are 1 or 2 sizes below where I am now if it is something that I really like, I call them goal clothes, they inspire me to keep going