Is anyone losing weight by walking?

Options
I'm just starting out and for 2 weeks now I have walked at 3-3.5 mph for about 60 minutes a day. I'm not burning a ton of calories, but at this point I am most comfortable walking. Did/are any of you having any success simply by adding walking into your schedule?

Please share your stories and any advise or tips you have!

Thanks!

Replies

• ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I know the atucker_mom has lost alot of weight by simply adding walking to her day and watching what she is eating.
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My main source of exercise since I started my journey about 1 month ago is walking. I have walked in our neighborhood as well as walking to Leslie Sansone or Denise Austin. I have sprinkled in a couple of really old Richard Simmon's vhs tapes for some toning workout and low impact aerobics. I have heard tons of people talk about the Zumba tapes as well as the 30 day Shred with Jillian Michaels. I don't have the money right now to invest in those so I am sticking to what I have available. I have lost 6lbs so far with just counting calories and getting my butt moving a little more often! Good Luck!
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    YES! YES! YES! I have lost 27 pounds and my husband has lost 46 pounds! All since December of 2010!
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I do DVDS but I mostly walk and I have been losing. Some weeks I lose from 2 to 4 pounds and some weeks just a little over 1 pound but I dont care how long it takes I will lose this weight. Even if I have to walk every day. LOL
  • AuntRedRobi
    Options
    the first time i really ever worked on losing weight, i walked 7 days a week for 1 hour. it didn't matter how far i walked, i just walked for 60 minutes. i lost 55 lbs in 8 months.
  • Missyrth
    Missyrth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    yep.. i've been walking since I started at the end of January..started off with 1 1/2.. now i'm up to 5 miles a day.. I've lost 33 lbs. I'm very short and it's really helping me.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight in college (before I gained it all back) I lost it just by walking the dogs every day and watching what I ate. Liveing with a diabetic helped too. No sugar in the house at all.
  • pawprint_net
    Options
    Running kills my knees - and with a huge forested park right behind my house I needed to do something so yes I'm walking - I kinda power walk it - but it's still walking. I can only fit in about 30 mins (at best 45) a day - it's working for me, nothing staggeringly fast but it works.

I combine that with other exercise ever chance I get (actually my lazxy goal-based method is to bribe myself with coffee - I'm not allowed a coffee unless I do either 35 squats, 1:30min plank or 60 push ups) As long as I'm being careful about what I eat - this seems to be working - and I'm feeling MUCH MUCH better about my energy level and fitness as I'm doing it.

Dunno if that helps but it's working for me.
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My mom stuck to weight watchers point system and added daily walking into her schedule and she lost 67bs in less than a year. It's totally possible! Every extra step makes a difference! :)
  • SFehring
    SFehring Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes, it works. I am part of a volunteer sea turtle nest monitoring group and walk the beaches in Florida every morning for 6 months of the year. I have lost 16 lbs by just walking in the last year without modifying my eating habits. Think what you can do if you watch your diet too!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    don't be fooled walking is a great form of excerise and I have lost weight through out the years simply by walking...Most of the weight I've lost thus far is from walking. I haven't lost a great deal but I know that it can work! Keep walking it will transform your body!!
  • jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I tore my achillies 10 weeks ago and had surgery. All I can do is limp for 30-45 a day, but it has worked. With counting calories in 2.5 weeks I have lost 12 pounds.
  • aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    Yup, walking is the only exercise I do, and I've been losing :) I eat at least 1,200 cals a day, more most days if I eat back my exercise, and walk between 20 and 60 minutes per day, and the weight has been coming off like a dream.
  • nicolej216
    nicolej216 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thats how i do it i walk 2.25 miles a day and i do the elliptical 1.75 miles and day well 6 days a week and i stay under my cal allowance i have lost 34 pounds in 65 days so good luck and keep up the good work!
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25 pounds just walking.
  • gettingthere2011
    gettingthere2011 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking works. I started out by walking 30 mins in the a.m. and 30 mins in the evening. Keeps the metabolism going. Use the calorie count and walk and you should notice weight loss. Now I walk 30 mins and ride a stationary bike for 40 mins. At least 4-5 times a week. Keep up the hard work and good luck.
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    Wow. I'm blown away with the support on this site. I can't even tell you how much I needed this...

Thank you to all of you who have responded! I love to hear of others successes! I'm filled with hope!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs a few years ago by walking and changing my eating habits. Then I had my second child and lost it all again the same way, and I am just getting started on losing baby weight after the 3rd baby (well toddler now, I've been lazy) and I hope to do it by walking and diet change again.
  • VanessaFaulkner
    Options
    Yes...I've lost 30lbs & still losing ...walk @ 30min of the 2hrs a day I wk out. I wk out 6 days a wk unless something cones up (sick kids) where I can't get to the gym however I have shred & walking dvds @ hone when i,can't go