Stupid Stupid Question

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Might try spacing out your eating times if you can. When I first started, it was easier to eat 5-6 times a day, with my calories adjusted for that, then it was to stick to three meals and maybe a snack. That helped get me used to smaller portions and smaller meals, so when I readjusted for 4 times a day, it was much easier. And I say 'if you can' because sometimes work doesn't allow you to adjust for that.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Packing my lunch and snacks every day was one of the two best permanent changes I made when I started MFP (regular exercise was the other). My routine is one morning snack and one afternoon snacks, around 100-200 cals each. Today I cut an apple in half, used a melon baller to scoop out the centers, and filled each side with 1/2 tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter. Around 3:30 I'll have vanilla Greek yogurt with fruit and almond slivers. For each there's a little protein, a little fat, and some carbs and that seems to keep me satisfied. Other days it'll be baby carrots with 2T hummus, pretzel crackers with Laughing Cow cheese, or Skinny Pop white cheddar popcorn.

To commiserate, I've been wanting to eat the world this week too. Sometimes it depends on the type of exercise I've done that day. Walking for an hour doesn't leave me ravenous, but 15 minutes of HIIT and watch out! :smiley:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1400 calories or over. It's about two weeks from the TOM

Ovulation, then? Some women feel hungrier then.

How long have you been eating at 1400 calories?

Plan out your meals and snacks so you can eat frequently enough. Make sure you have healthy alternatives available at work. Make sure you're getting enough protein, fat, and fiber.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    I eat around 1400 calories or over. It's about two weeks from the TOM

Ovulation, then? Some women feel hungrier then.

How long have you been eating at 1400 calories?

Plan out your meals and snacks so you can eat frequently enough. Make sure you have healthy alternatives available at work. Make sure you're getting enough protein, fat, and fiber.

Was just about to say this. I get hungry the week I'm supposed to ovulate, despite my birth control preventing that. But it happens every month.
  • emilybeaver
    emilybeaver Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I need to plan my meals more. We will be going to the grocery store tonight so I'll be making some lists of healthy things!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    OP, what is your goal? I lb weekly loss, or more?
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    1 lb weekly. The 1400 calories was what MFP put as my goal range. And I'm not exercising currently. Will be getting back on that train too.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking you need to increase your calories. I guessed at your height and your activity level, but at your age and current weight, I got back a calorie recommendation of 1781 calories a day to lose almost a pound a week.

I'm guessing your goals are a bit too aggressive. If you're too hungry, you'll cheat on your food and the weight will never come off. Make that goal more attainable.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Really? I would think I would need to lower my calories not go higher. Activity level is pretty sedentary at work but I'm 29 and weigh 183.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've been STARVING this past week. I can't get enough food and I know I need to stop. But my belly is growling at me. I've been drinking tons of water as well to see if it's just being thirsty. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but I feel like I could eat tons at every meal....
    What's stupid?
    Anyway, that's how I felt when I began, and it was my body fighting against my efforts to lose the fat.
    It's like a battle.
    After losing 3o pounds, it stopped, and all was well until I hit that 50 pound wall.
    BANG!
    It was the same all over again...and it happened at 70 pounds, then again at 80 pounds lost.
    Over time I have learned to break past these walls, and it's never easy.
    Today, I am maintaining my 100 pound total weight loss, and some days are still like this.
  • emdeesea
    Options
    Here's the calculator I have been using for the last 2 or so years. I've lost more than 50 pounds and I started off weighing about 190 pounds.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You plug in your stats and it will tell you how many calories you should eat.

If I started out at 1400 calories a day I'm not sure I would have made it.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    Ok so by that it says I should be eating 1760 a day...holy *kitten* that's a lot calories!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Ok so by that it says I should be eating 1760 a day...holy *kitten* that's a lot calories!

Try starting at 1700 and see how that goes. If you don't hit that goal, oh well, but if you consider that your upper limit, that might help when you start getting hungry. Just do your best to plan your day and how you split up your meals so you don't accidentally go over.
  • emdeesea
    Options
    If you go to eating 1,700 like Dubird said, I can almost guarantee you you won't get hungry, and you'll still be losing weight at a fairly steady rate. And it's so much easier to stick with if you don't feel deprived.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    MFP suggested 1300 calories for me to lose 1.5 lbs/week. I didn't feel like that was enough so I increased my calories to 1500 and I'm still losing weight. You might want to try increasing your calories a little and see how your body responds.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    I never would have thought about eating more calories. I will for sure try to do that and see how it goes.
  • emilybeaver
    Options
    How do I go in and change the calorie setting?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It's been great to see the helpful information posted here. I have found that macro content makes a big difference in terms of hunger pangs when I am in a calorie deficit, particularly that first meal of the day. So for me, that first meal consists of at least 20 g of protein (plain greek yogurt, e.g.) and a slow-digesting carb (like oatmeal - for some reason, if I decide on bran flakes instead, the appetite is roaring the whole day) and about 150g of blueberries. I plan for snacks that also include 20 mg of protein at minimum. I make sure to reach the fat g I have set for macros, and have at least 21 g of fiber. When I was working, I would bring raw vegetables and humus and plain greek yogurt and an apple for lunch and would have additional yogurt and veggies/fruit for snacks. I'd have to leave room for a late afternoon snack since dinner doesn't happen until 7 at the earliest.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    How do I go in and change the calorie setting?

Settings>Update Fitness Profile> change weight loss to appropriate number (half a pound or 1 pound)
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Celery.

It takes more calories to eat than it provides, apparently