Strength Training Calories

Options
Does anyone else add their calories burned from strength training to the diary?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I have no reliable way of tracking it, so no.

Get on it scientists!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I only do because it adds them automatically when I log the workout...but don't eat them back, as I believe them to be greatly inflated.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I find if you lift at least 3 days/week to just change your activity level from sedentary to light active.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I find if you lift at least 3 days/week to just change your activity level from sedentary to light active.

Would that depend on what exactly your lifting routine is? Still so many factors that have to be thought about.
  • hugheseva
    hugheseva Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I don't either but I should. Go here and add it to the cardio because otherwise you can't track it: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm
    Don't tell me that when I lift a total of 22,000 lbs doing a leg day at the gym, I burnt zero calories. :D
  • Faith4eva31
    Faith4eva31 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you. I have been using my Sparkpeople app to add my strength training exercises and transferring the data for calories burned over to MFP. Maybe I shouldn't add them at all. :/
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

This makes sense because I currently have it set to sedentary. Thanks!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You did, just not as much as you think.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Once I established a consistent lifting routine and the same workout schedule each week, I switched to TDEE method, where you factor your activity into your daily calorie goal, so you have the same calorie goal every day and don't have to worry about tracking exercise calories. This is much simpler, in my opinion, and I'm losing weight steadily.
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    hugheseva wrote: »
    I don't either but I should. Go here and add it to the cardio because otherwise you can't track it: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm
    Don't tell me that when I lift a total of 22,000 lbs doing a leg day at the gym, I burnt zero calories. :D

Hilarious! Thank you for the link!
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    Once I established a consistent lifting routine and the same workout schedule each week, I switched to TDEE method, where you factor your activity into your daily calorie goal, so you have the same calorie goal every day and don't have to worry about tracking exercise calories. This is much simpler, in my opinion, and I'm losing weight steadily.

Thank you! What does TDEE stand for?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I add all my exercise as 1 calorie burned, because there really isn't an accurate way to know.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Thank you! What does TDEE stand for?

Total Daily Energy Expenditure
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    No

I never do

Only count cardio
  • Faith4eva31
    Options
    Okay great! Thank you!