Protein powder

Options
edivack
edivack Posts: 13 Member
I am a girl looking to slim and tone up. Do any of you lovely ladies have a specific type of protein that you think is amazing?

Replies

• elga_thres
    elga_thres Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just bought whey protein. It's the quickest type of protein absorbed by the body. However, I think kind of protein depends on you. Do you have allergies? Are a vegetarian? What's your goal?
  • kimmiebrito
    kimmiebrito Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein! What's good for guys will still probably be good for girls too. I use Optimum Whey Gold standard. If you have gluten or milk allergies, I'm pretty sure Isopure whey would be good then.
    If you are looking for slow digesting protein, then look for casein protein!
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Whey or casein are the most common, you can read all the hype about the other crap they put in it but in my experience what makes or breaks a whey powder is how palatable it is. Cheap whey can be nasty to the point where its in-edible. If you are slimming avoid anything with carbs in (bulking) - this should be clear by the package and the calorie content. I'm on a bag of PhD Pharma+ Whey in strawberry creme and its delicious.

Also, I realise I'm not a lady but they don't/shouldn't make these things specific so I thought I'd chime in.
  • smithie092015
    smithie092015 Posts: 56 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Vega is perfect for me. Vegan (that may or may not matter to you), smooth consistency and tastes great! I often use a half portion in breakfast green smoothies for a little boost. If I need something post work out, its good blended with water or almond milk. I've had the natural, vanilla, chocolate and coconut almond flavors. Didn't love the last one, but the first three are pantry staples.
  • enigmaneo1
    enigmaneo1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also not a woman, but I use ON (Optimum Nutrition) Whey Isolate from Costco. It's delicious and cheap and I think a pretty good brand of whey.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Dymatize ISO 100 is amazing and I know many other people who feel the same way :) Lots of delicious flavors too! I would make sure to get a shaker bottle too because sometimes the powder doesn't completely dissolve if you use a spoon to stir it. I thought it was a little expensive but it's definitely worth it!
  • edivack
    Options
    elga_thres wrote: »
    I just bought whey protein. It's the quickest type of protein absorbed by the body. However, I think kind of protein depends on you. Do you have allergies? Are a vegetarian? What's your goal?

I do not have allergies I am NOT a vegetarian and my goal is to slim up
  • edivack
    Options
    Whey or casein are the most common, you can read all the hype about the other crap they put in it but in my experience what makes or breaks a whey powder is how palatable it is. Cheap whey can be nasty to the point where its in-edible. If you are slimming avoid anything with carbs in (bulking) - this should be clear by the package and the calorie content. I'm on a bag of PhD Pharma+ Whey in strawberry creme and its delicious.

Also, I realise I'm not a lady but they don't/shouldn't make these things specific so I thought I'd chime in.

What I meant by saying for women was I was looking for something that wouldn't make me bulk. I probably should've been more specific
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have tried several and my favorite still is Herbalife doesn't sit in my stomach like a rock like the whey protien shakes some say herbalife is not he best product out there but I use it once a day for lunch I also dont mind the CORE products
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein! What's good for guys will still probably be good for girls too. I use Optimum Whey Gold standard. If you have gluten or milk allergies, I'm pretty sure Isopure whey would be good then.

Whey is not good for someone who has a milk allergy. Whey is high in lactose.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    enigmaneo1 wrote: »
    Also not a woman, but I use ON (Optimum Nutrition) Whey Isolate from Costco. It's delicious and cheap and I think a pretty good brand of whey.
    I second the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYIZH6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00). 24 grams protein & 120 calories per scoop. I've only tried the extreme milk chocolate so far, but it is great in milk, ok with just water.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    edivack wrote: »

What I meant by saying for women was I was looking for something that wouldn't make me bulk. I probably should've been more specific

Protein won't make anyone bulk. If you just sit on the couch and down your maintenance worth of calories in protein you'll be the same the next day/month/year. Other than that your muscles might atrophy due to lack of use. With that said, Protein won't make you magically lose weight either.

What protein does is it helps in repairing your muscles after you work out. Protein also has a side affect of making you feel fuller longer (not guaranteed). Working out and eating at a surplus is what makes you bulk, and even then it won't turn you into one of those steroid abusers.

Are you lifting heavy? If not, don't waste your money. Are you falling short of your reasonable protein goal? No? Then don't waste your money. If you are lifting, and trying to gain muscle, and falling short of your reasonable protein goal or need added convenience for late evening lifts, then get a protein that has as high protein % (grams of protein per calorie) as you can, for as cheap as you can, in a flavor you like. I personally use Optimum Nutrition and think it tastes good just in water.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Whey is not good for someone who has a milk allergy. Whey is high in lactose.

Isopure whey is whey that has the lactose removed. I believe isopure is a brand, 100% whey isolate would be the equivalent.
  • camlbella
    camlbella Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I ordered the optimum nutrition gold standard whey isolate - mocha cappuccino flavor - from bodybuilding.com. It tastes incredible in oatmeal or with a cup of milk. I like using a whey supplement because I lift heavy 3 days per week, and am currently cutting calories. Sometimes it's tough to meet my protein goals, especially since I'm limiting carbs.
  • jersey_54
    jersey_54 Posts: 278 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ON or Nectar whey isolate, cutting or bulking. Works like hulk and two dose help me hit em protein macros just right
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein is plant protein with fiber, protein, and amino acids. It's gritty, but very worth it.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is largely unneeded, though if you feel that you sent getting enough, try MyProtein.com, the prices are very good and you can always use 1 or 2 offers and discount codes.

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    OP, protein powder does't make you bulk, slim down or "tone up." It's just a way to supplement your diet if you don't get enough protein through your food choices.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    MyProteins whey is also 80% protein, which is goooooood
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I use the mlo brand, either the vegetable protein or the extra protein version. It is unflavored, so I can use it in a variety of ways. My friend gets the Vitacost brand chocolate protein to make shakes as a meal replacement. The type of protein you get has nothing to do with making you bulk. You bulk by eating a surplus of calories.