Advocare Shakes

Options
Hi everyone. Just looking for people's opinions on the Advocare Meal Replacement Shakes? Did they make you feel full and how do they taste. Trying to get back on the wagon again and modify my eating habits which have been pretty terrible lately. I don't always have time to grab breakfast, or make a lunch to take to work, so I was thinking maybe they would be a good alternative, instead of eating out. I do drink spark already during the week at work, and I love it.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Over priced MLM scam. Save your money.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're set on shakes, flavor-wise and satiety-wise I love Labrada Lean Body High Protein powder... Mine is in pouches that are 330 calories each, but I have like 1/2 a packet at a time. They are chocolate ice cream flavor and taste amazing. I think they're kinda expensive, you can find them online but I'm lucky, my parents gave me a bunch lol :)
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just was thinking if I had some meal replacement shakes I could keep in my desk at work, it would obviously be better then going to the McDonald's next door
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Why not just bring some real food to work instead? Drinking your calories away sucks. Literally. ;)
  • starr151
    starr151 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink them and they are great! 24 grams of protein with each. I wasn't a shake fan- actually a doubter, but started them and I drink one almost daily. They definitely make you feel full and keep you from being hungry.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    starr151 wrote: »
    I drink them and they are great! 24 grams of protein with each. I wasn't a shake fan- actually a doubter, but started them and I drink one almost daily. They definitely make you feel full and keep you from being hungry.

^ Says the Advocare distributor. As mentioned above, overpriced MLM. Eat real food or buy some whey protein at Sam's or Costco.

Advocare shake mixes are around $3 a serving. A scoop of whey protein and water gives basically the same nutritional value and is around $.70.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the expensive MLM junk. If you want to do a shake on buy decent protein powder and make your own.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    My friend sells Advocare! She started selling it after she lost all her weight (through boring old calorie restriction) and uses her before and after photos.

24 grams of protein is nothing special for whey. As for feeling full, do you feel full after drinking a latte or smoothie? For how long? That's exactly how well replacing a meal with a shake is going to be for you.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I know a person who was 300 + pounds, lost his weight with Advocare, then as soon as he started eating real food (because you can't possibly keep doing this stuff forever) he started gaining as quickly as he started losing.

I agree with almost everyone else. Stay away and make yourself a nice protein shake if needed.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I’m still trying to figure out what’s wrong with McDonald’s. An Egg McMuffin has only 300 calories….
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options

I know a person who was 300 + pounds, lost his weight with Advocare, then as soon as he started eating real food (because you can't possibly keep doing this stuff forever) he started gaining as quickly as he started losing.

I agree with almost everyone else. Stay away and make yourself a nice protein shake if needed.

Actually, Advocare recommends eating a clean diet...which is totally sustainable. Meal replacement shakes are offered, but not required.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    neelia wrote: »

Actually, Advocare recommends eating a clean diet...which is totally sustainable. Meal replacement shakes are offered, but not required.

You can eat clean without Advocare.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Those irritants are everywhere, not seen Advocare around hear but we have the Herbal life Coaches infesting our local area. Wouldnt be surprised if its all the same products with different labels. I have no idea if any of the so called coaches have lost any weight using the products or not, and I find it irritating that they peddle this expensive stuff to vulnerable people. They literally have a product to suit all ailments you could possibly think of. Trial is 20 pounds for 3 days. so what am i going to do for the other4 days, i could buy quite a bit of real food for 20 pounds.

P;s i do enjoy the free boot camp that comes with their foolishness though.

OP. stick with MFP, keep away from Advocare, Herbal life, or any of those modern day pyramid schemes.
  • ashlynmichelecook2016
    ashlynmichelecook2016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds on Advocare with their 24 day challenge last summer which included drinking the shakes. I have kept every bit of it off and even lost a little more. I am about to start another 24 day challenge. For those saying its an MLM scheme, you have probably never tried it! Most mlm's probably are schemes. But Advocare has been around for more than 20 years, much longer than these come and go company's. There's a reason for that! Just advocating because I had a positive experience!
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I Spend $40 at Sams on a large bag of protein powder, I use on a daily basis, not shakes, but add at least a scoop/day to real food, and it takes MONTHS until I have to get more, save your money, just invest in a protein powder you like, and make your own shakes for a fraction of the cost!!!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 pounds on Advocare with their 24 day challenge last summer which included drinking the shakes. I have kept every bit of it off and even lost a little more. I am about to start another 24 day challenge. For those saying its an MLM scheme, you have probably never tried it! Most mlm's probably are schemes. But Advocare has been around for more than 20 years, much longer than these come and go company's. There's a reason for that! Just advocating because I had a positive experience!

your right i have never tried it, but how is this teaching me the right way to eat. what happens if i stop being able to afford advocare then what happens What happens if you cant afford advocare fullstop, are we then doomed of every losing weight. Can you buy advocare in the supermarket?
  • ashlynmichelecook2016
    ashlynmichelecook2016 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well the thing about advocare is that you have to eat clean while your'e on it. I have only ever done the challenge once, lost the 20 pounds and a year later have kept it off and am doing it again. The entire challenge itself is $190 dollars. But like I said, you only do it every once in a while. Its not something you keep repeatedly ordering. The habits that I learned while on the challenge have stuck with me, and I've struggled my whole life with my weight! Best investment I've ever made, and even though I signed up as a distributor for the 25% discount I get, I DO NOT sell it to other people, so that is an honest opinion. I in no way am making money off of this at all. As a matter of fact, I think my distributor license has expired anyway! It's not for everyone. You have to be disciplined to do it. But what it tells you to eat (which is a lot of food, just healthy food) combined with the supplements and other things they send you work TREMENDOUSLY if you do it right. You get out what you put in. 20 pounds in 24 days for 200 dollars once a year is awesome for me. Not a decision for everyone depending on circumstances! Hope this helps :smile:
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    read this http://www.40by20.com/forum/showthread.php?1298-My-unbiased-reporting-on-the-Advocare-24-Day-Challenge I like it, because he tried advocare, and then just bough supplements that are similar to advocare and wrote about each experience as it was happening daily!!!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    So these shakes, meh.

I get what your saying about missing lunch with little time though. Stuff happens! They need a fridge, but I enjoy a good yogurt smoothie. They have a decent amt of kcal, are somewhat filling but leave you with enough room and kcal for an extra hearty dinner. I have yoplait's now.

YMMV
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I tried Advocare because I have a friend who sells it... honestly, I went through 1 round of the challenge and realized it's basically utter crap. If you're looking for the challenge, it's a lot of false claims without much science to back things up (the first 10 days is damn cleanse for Christ sakes).

If you're just looking for the shakes, they're decent, but you can either get better meal replacement shakes at a GNC-type place for less money, OR just plan ahead and make breakfast in the morning. I do most of my meal-prep on the weekends (breakfast included) so that I don't have to worry about what I'm eating during the week when I am at work and busy.

I love making mini-quiches using my cupcake trays. Additionally, there are loads of quick breakfast recipes out there.