Question about TDEE Calorie Calculators

Options
Apud85
Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I think I already know the answer to this, but I just need some reassurance that I'm thinking about this correctly.

I've been using MFP since April and have lost 8 pounds total. I'm 30 years old, 5'10", CW 167. I work out about 4-5 times a week in the AM and I have a desk job, but am constantly moving when I get home in the evening. That said, when I use the Scooby Calorie Calculator, I enter in my above stats and set my activity level at 1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise. This gives me about 1700 calories if I want to lose at a 20% activity reduction.

SO, if I use this calorie goal as my guide, that means that I would NOT eat back exercise calories, right? Even if I get more than 1-3 hrs/wk of light exercise?

On the other hand, if I were to set my activity level on the Scooby Calculator to desk job with little exercise, then I would eat my exercise calories back. Is that right? Or is that a completely different system and not TDEE?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    -If you used the 1700, that's what you'd eat every day. No additional calories on the days you exercise.

-If you used the sedentary 20% loss calorie goal on that calculator, I myself would probably eat back at least half of any exercise calories logged.

Over a week's time period, both should essentially give you the same deficit. But the second would be a bit more accurate, most likely, unless your work out routine is very routine. THAT being said, eating a flat amount every day has its benefits in terms of your body expecting certain amounts and being satisfied on that same amount for months on end (in my anecdotal unscientific experience).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Correct, since the calorie goal was calculated taking exercise into account. I suppose if you have a day/week where you exceed 1-3 hours of exercise, or have a day of more strenuous exercise, you could eat those excess calories back, but personally I would find that too nit-picky.
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great, thank you for your help!! I was starting to over-analyze it in my head.