School Holidays

Options
I hate them! I can't do any of my swimming or Aqua or fitness classes :( weight loss is going to be slow over the next few weeks.

What do all you other mums do during school holidays?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mum, but I do exactly the same walking, jogging, and lifting that I do any other day.

Can you not do the classes because kids are at the pool or because you can't take your kids?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How old are your children?
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Can you do things with the kids? Walking or biking around the neighborhood or on local trails? Take the kids to the park and walk or jog around the playground while they play. My family bikes a lot on a local rail trail.

It's not the same, but it's movement and it encourages them to be active as well.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Exercise DVDs or taking the family along works for me.
  • nicola838
    nicola838 Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I do alot of walking, the kids can come along aswell. Also a great exuse to get the kids out off their computers ect. If the kids protest to much about going out we play on the kinect or on the wii. Also buy some weights. My kettlebell is a saviour when stuck inside yet wanting to do something different
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I homeschool my dd so there are no school holidays. I walk or do exercise dvd's or videos on you tube. My dd likes doing Just Dance video games with me.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    We homeschool our kids (5, 3, 1). Swimming would be tough, but if we wanted to do it we'd join the YMCA (with daycare). Currently, I lift and play Ultimate Frisbee, and my wife lifts and is doing some exercise videos. She wanted to run and I told her I'd watch the kids, but that sort of stopped.
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mum, but I do exactly the same walking, jogging, and lifting that I do any other day.

Can you not do the classes because kids are at the pool or because you can't take your kids?

I can't do it because I have the kids home with me, my husband is at work and I can't take the kids to the classes with me.
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

10, 9 and 7 :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Bring your kids to the park - you can walk, bike, and even swim with them. It may not be "traditional" exercise, but they'll love it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Workout dvds or online videos? Your kids are old enough to entertain themselves while you workout 30min-1hr. Or, you can do it before or after they go to bed. Schedule activities that get everyone moving--park, swimming, mini golf, theme park, museum, bike riding, skating, Twister?? Someone else mentioned "just dance" and that is a lot of fun to play with the kids!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

10, 9 and 7 :)

Park
    Walks
    Football games
    Bike rides
    Take them swimming
    Be active

It might change what you do but your activity doesn't need to drop ..they aren't babies
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »
    I hate them! I can't do any of my swimming or Aqua or fitness classes :( weight loss is going to be slow over the next few weeks.

What do all you other mums do during school holidays?

Don't rely on exercise for your deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA near you that you can join instead? In addition to child care, they have lots of programs for kids your kids' ages. I used to not like going to the Y during school holidays because they were so busy (and thus crowded and noisy) at that time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym with a daycare. But even without that, I could still do home exercise videos now that they are old enough to be left alone for 45 minutes.