Need advice! Training for a half marathon

Options
Hey there lovely MFPers!

So I ran my first 10 mile race on Sunday. It was hard but doable and a great first experience. The group I trained with (we all started as beginners) are interested in keeping our momentum going and are aiming for a half marathon taking place at the end of September (about 8 weeks time).

Having never trained for a half marathon before, just wondering what advice an experienced marathoner/runner would give? Specifically regarding nutrition and cross training.

I really want to work on my speed. That was my original goal for after the 10 mile race but now that a half marathon is on the horizon I'm wondering if I should stick with the status quo and just focus on adding mileage. Thoughts? Can I do both?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way! :)

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If you can run 10 you can run 13 in 8 weeks time. look up a half marathon training prgram and either start at you base milage now or step back a few weeks to make for a total of 8 weeks training time.

for crosstraining i like doing swimming and lifting. i did it twice a week while training for a full.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Most advice for beginning runners is to focus on getting a lot of miles in before working on speed. Just keep adding miles and you will see your speed improve without doing any speed work.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you just ran 10, you could go bust out 13.1 this weekend. There are some HM training plans whose longest run doesn't go above 10 miles. :)

@sjp_511 is right on: the best way to get faster as a newish runner is simply to run more, at a comfortable--even "slow"--pace.

Training for a half, I would recommend doing one long run on the weekends, a medium-ish long run (5-7 miles) in the middle of the week, and then other runs as you see fit. I would not run less than 3 times a week, but after that, it's your choice to arrange the other days as cross training, running, rest, etc. Something like Higdon Novice 2, except making the Wednesday run a little longer, is what I would recommend for a sort-of first timer. (Seriously. If you ran 10, you can run 13.)

Congratulations on the race this weekend! That's really awesome--and even better that you've gotten hooked.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    As others have said, if you can run 10 you can run 13.1. I'm a big fan of running longer than the race. My best HM, I worked up to doing long runs of 15-17 miles. That allowed me to finish strong, well within my goal time, and I didn't feel completely trashed at the end. Be sure to give yourself at least a week of tapering if you want a faster race. Still run during your tapering, but keep the miles slow and easy, basically just to keep your legs loose.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    If you can run 10 you can run 13 in 8 weeks time. look up a half marathon training prgram and either start at you base milage now or step back a few weeks to make for a total of 8 weeks training time.

for crosstraining i like doing swimming and lifting. i did it twice a week while training for a full.

^^^ pretty much it.

Definitely add strength to your routine (google strength training for runners) as a strong core, hips & glutes will make you a better, more injury resistant runner. My other x-training activities include cycling & rowing. If you bike & swim you may even want to think about a triathlon next year (training for a tri forces you tor cross train, which is a good thing)

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »

>>> This <<<

You're basically there. I like to do yoga 3 times a week as part of my cross training.

• goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Don't try to accomplish too many goals at once. Focus on the mileage for now and work on speed later.

You can build from 10 miles to finish a half in 8 weeks. However, you should consider the week after this race as recovery and the week prior to the half as pre-race taper. That cuts down the number of full training weeks left.

I'm a fan of cross training in general. However, an injury or strain due to cross training could really hurt your schedule. I wouldn't add anything too strenuous right now. Yoga pairs well with running. Restorative yoga would be a great addition for now. It is good for stretching and flexibility, doesn't wear you out, and minimizes the likelihood of injury.

Here is what I would do.

Run 3-4 times per week, including one long run each week. It is best if your long run should not be more than half of your total weekly mileage. My most successful training has been done with plans that increase mileage up for a couple of weeks, the have an easier recovery week.

Here is how I would structure the long runs for a half 8 weeks from now:

Week 1 - 10 mile race
    Week 2 - Focus on recovery. Rest more than usual. Long run of 5-6 miles at a easy/comfortable pace.
    Week 3 - Long run 11
    Week 4 - Long run 12
    Week 5 - Long run 8
    Week 6 - Long run 13
    Week 7 - Long run 6. Easy pace.
    Week 8 - Taper. Run a couple of times during the week, 2-4 miles at an easy pace, then 13.1 race

Good luck!