Daily calorie intake??

I just started this app and it's saying I should be having 1700 calories a day in order to lose weight.
To me that seems like quite a lot, I am planning on going gym 2/3 times a week and do work quite a lot in a nursery and a shop during the weekends.
Does anyone have any idea if the 1700 intake is too much and I should change it to less or its okay??

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    It depends on your weight, height, age and activity level. I am losing weight eating 1600-1900 a day.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    levitateme wrote: »
    It depends on your weight, height, age and activity level. I am losing weight eating 1600-1900 a day.

^

This...assuming your inputs were correct, it's probably pretty close, though you may need to fine tune it by +/- 100-200 calories after a few weeks of trial & error.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Use this tool to play around with numbers: http://www.calorieking.com/interactive-tools/how-many-calories-should-you-eat/

I'm very tall and already close to my goal weight. To maintain my current weight, I can eat 1650 to 1850 calories per day. When I started, to lose 1-2 lbs/week I could eat 1550 to 1750 calories per day.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    I started at 249 lbs. on May 1st. After giving MFP my height and weight and linking it up to my Apple Watch for workout activity, I am extremely surprised at how accurate it is as far as projections for the future and what I need to eat to lose weight. I think it's a pretty trustworthy platform. I have kept my net calories at 1500 a day or a little lower, I don't do any cheat days during the week, I measure everything I eat in to the correct portions, and I do any where from 30 to 80 minutes of cardio a day through walking, biking, and the elliptical trainer. As of today I am down to 209, which is 40 lbs. lost since May 1st. I really feel great.

My point is that for me (your mileage may vary), the numbers coming from MFP have been VERY trustworthy. Just don't ever expect instant results.
  • kerriregan959
    kerriregan959 Posts: 8 Member
    I started at 249 lbs. on May 1st. After giving MFP my height and weight and linking it up to my Apple Watch for workout activity, I am extremely surprised at how accurate it is as far as projections for the future and what I need to eat to lose weight. I think it's a pretty trustworthy platform. I have kept my net calories at 1500 a day or a little lower, I don't do any cheat days during the week, I measure everything I eat in to the correct portions, and I do any where from 30 to 80 minutes of cardio a day through walking, biking, and the elliptical trainer. As of today I am down to 209, which is 40 lbs. lost since May 1st. I really feel great.

My point is that for me (your mileage may vary), the numbers coming from MFP have been VERY trustworthy. Just don't ever expect instant results.

That's amazing!! Well done!!
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member

That's amazing!! Well done!!

Thanks! Wasn't fishing for a compliment :smile: --I just wanted to let you know that I value MyFitnessPal SO MUCH in this process. It is so incredibly essential to me. All the gear is fun to use and everything, but MFP has been the key to my success. You can most likely trust what it's telling you. Keep it up!
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Mine varies. I pay more attention to micros and macros.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Sure, I'm losing weight while eating up to 2,500 calories on the days I get a lot of exercise.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    why not try it for a month and see?