Bread

Options
claregib
claregib Posts: 20 Member
What type of bread is the healthiest? There are so many nowadays from rye, spelt, seeded etc that I'm confused what would be the best low carb and low cal. In general I don't have any type of bread (4 months bread free now) but lately I fancied a change. I would rather try something different from wholemeal/wholegrain/brown and just wondered what everybody else had ps im in the UK. TIA :)

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    whole grain bread is best, because it doesn't have any part of the grain nutrients stripped away. But anything that fits in your goals is fine, too.

There is no need to go low carb, unless you've been medically advised to.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    "healthy" has different meanings for different people.

I eat bread while trying to lose weight....because I will continue to eat bread at goal. That said, I look for whole grains. I like to see good protein and fiber counts. I don't count carbs because ....again I will eat carbs at goal (no medical issues for me).

Lifestyle changes for me.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Whole grains and reasonable portion sizes are what I look for.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That's about all bread is is carbs, I thought. If there is a low carb bread out there, I am all ears, though! Or eyes, I guess.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Any bread is "healthy" within a balanced dietary intake. Choosing one type of bread over another isn't going to make you "healthy" or "unhealthy".

Barring medical advice, carbohydrates are fine.
    White bread is fine.
    Any bread is fine.

Eat the foods you like, that will promote long term compliance, within a balanced dietary intake, while maintaining a calorie deficit. It really doesn't have to be any harder than that.

I eat white bread, because I like white bread.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My carbs are limited so I would vote a bread made from coconut or almond flour, but that is still too high carb for my taste.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have been eating this: http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/ProductDetail.aspx?catID=754

I don't eat much bread anymore due to calorie density, but sometimes a slice is just tasty. These only have 45 per slice.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Any whole grain- be warned, it is different than whole wheat. Whole wheat is better than white, whole grain is better than everything
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Years ago I baked my own and keep threatening to go back to it. I watch the sodium. Often even the crafty type bakeries use salt in excess, to my way of thinking anyway. I don't know if high fructose corn syrup is as ubiquitous in your neck of the woods as it is here, but I refuse to buy bread, or anything else, with it in the ingredient list.

Beware of dogmatic statements like all x is this way and all y is that way. For instance, there is a thing called white whole wheat flour. Some people, maybe you, like it better, even if they prefer the taste and texture of bread made with refined white flour to the darker "regular" whole wheat loaves. There is some information on the color of wheat here.

If you're interested in the nuts and bolts of bread baking with wheat as well as other grains King Arthur's site is a good source of information. Even if you never bake a loaf yourself, the knowledge makes you a more informed consumer in the supermarket, bakery or even farmers market.
    cityruss wrote: »
    Choosing one type of bread over another isn't going to make you "healthy" or "unhealthy".
    Maybe not but it's a good start and appreciating bread might be a step to appreciating life. :smile:
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I like whole grain double-fiber bread. Oroweat has one selection I like, and Trader Joe's does also.
  • claregib
    claregib Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. I went for the vogel seeded bread which is yummie. I do have to watch my carbs and sugar intake as have recently had a kidney/pancreas transplant. My blood sugar level does raise quite quickly with white flour and makes me feel really bad. So far the vogel and budgens bread are small slices and I don't react too badly with two slices a day, also managing to fit it into my MFP goals :)
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I bake almost all of the bread we eat minus when we go to restaurants. I worry about all of the crud in whats on the store shelves. :#
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    claregib wrote: »
    What type of bread is the healthiest? There are so many nowadays from rye, spelt, seeded etc that I'm confused what would be the best low carb and low cal. In general I don't have any type of bread (4 months bread free now) but lately I fancied a change. I would rather try something different from wholemeal/wholegrain/brown and just wondered what everybody else had ps im in the UK. TIA :)

Look for bread with the highest fibre content and lowest sugar

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm really partial to Pepperidge Farm 15 grain bread. It just tastes good no matter how it's used. I don't eat white bread anymore only because it tastes bland and yucky. White bread like Wonder bread. Restaurant bread or rolls still tastes good!
  • camlbella
    camlbella Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it personally, but I hear that Ezekiel sprouted grain bread products are really good. They have minimal added sugar (0-1 g per serving, depending on the product), and have higher protein content than other types of bread. I think I'll buy a loaf the next time I hit the grocery store!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Whole grain is better than whole wheat which is better than white.

Try making your own. It's healthier and it tastes SO MUCH BETTER than store-bought. I actually thought I didn't like whole wheat breads until I made my own, lol. :)
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I came across "Dave's Killer Bread" you can try that one. I make my own if I want it now. Once in a while I'll find some whole grain pita bread if I want a sandwich.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's some breads to try.

Sprouted breads - 15g carbohydrate, 84 calories for a 34g serving. 3g dietary fiber.
    Pumpernickel - 12g carbohydrate, 65 calories for a 26g serving, 2g dietary fiber.
    Injera (half a 20" pancake) - 15g carbohydrate, 84 calories. 2g of dietary fiber.

As compared to white, enriched Wonder bread, 15g carbohydrate, 80 calories for a 31g serving, 1g of dietary fiber.

Distinction without a difference. Be adventurous, try new foods, and enjoy.
  • fitformysons
    fitformysons Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel sprouted grains bread is delicious and so good for you!
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel sprouted grains bread is delicious and so good for you!
    I just picked up a loaf. Good stuff.