Switching to maintenance calories, weight gain?

Options
I've been on MFP for over a year, and during that time have continually had my calories set to lose 1.5 lbs/week - which worked out to be around 1510 calories/day toward the end. (I'm 5'10", 183 lbs) My end goal was 175, but I'd be fine to maintain around 180.

While eating at 1500 calories I stopped losing weight the last 4 months and my energy has definitely dropped. I still measure with a scale, and I haven't upped the number of days I don't log (usually 1 or 2 days a month), and I'm eating the same types of foods. My thyroid level is normal. I'd read some info about upping calories closer to maintenance level and that it might help with energy levels. Since I'm wanting to transition to that, on July 1st I moved my calories to 1760/day - what is technically considered 1lb/week loss for me. I've gained 4 lbs.

Any advice? Anyone been here? Did you gain and then lose it? How long did it take? I haven't had problems losing for most of the time I've been on MFP. I've had plateaus but I always stuck it out and eventually moved past it. This is entirely new for me. Thanks for any input

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? Was this an immediate gain in weight or a gradual gain in weight? Most likely the 4 pounds is glycogen storage/extra food in your bowels/extra sodium in your meals and not fat. Your body is not going to be the same weight everyday. You will want to think about maintenance weight as a range. Typically people have a 5-10 pound range.
  • vmsolko
    vmsolko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once or twice a week. The weight seemed to come on all in one week and has stayed put since then. I realize my body is not going to be the same weight everyday. I weighed myself more frequently when I was more actively trying to lose, but I never got freaked out about my weight being up a couple of pounds. Until I upped my calories, I fluctuated between 179 and 184. I realize it will be a range. But upping the calories has me a little nervous since I have been eating at the same number for so long. I'm wondering what the time frame is for my body to adjust and get rid of the bloat that seems to be plaguing me as well.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your glycogen storage was replenished. When you lose weight, you lose a bunch of water/glycogen that was stored in your muscles. When you return to maintenance your body will replenish that water/glycogen.

Another thought - did you start any new exercise recently? That could also cause a little bloating.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Upping your cals from a goal to lose 1.5 lbs a week to 1 lb a week should not cause a gain. I'm guessing the 4 lbs can be attributed to the bloat factor. If it doesn't drop off (or you add more lbs.) in the next couple of weeks, I'd lower my cals back to where they were. Pure calorie speaking would say that it would take an extra 15 days of eating the extra 270 calories to gain 1 pound...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I slowed down a lot in the last 6 months of my 1 year weight loss. It was because I was close to my 'ideal' weight. It eventually came off. I did not, btw, gain anything when I went to maintenance.

Did you adjust your weight on MFP and ask it it recalculate calories? Otherwise it doesn't do it automatically (even though it says it will) so your calorie goals are too high.

If your carb percent too high? When I add calories it is easy for me to add carbs. That makes me bloat and gain (especially in summer). I also cannot lose no matter what else I do if my carbs are over 50%. I lose more effectively if I drop my carbs to 35 or 40%. That's not low carb, it's just higher protein and fat.
  • vmsolko
    Options
    I haven't started any new exercise. I did recently start wearing a fitbit, so I am probably walking more, but I'm sure that is not attributing to the gain.

nxd10: That's helpful to know. As soon as I got within 8-10 lbs of my goal weight, it really tapered off. I did readjust in MFP for my calories. I learned that the hard way about a year ago - crazy that it doesn't recalculate for itself as you lose. Watching the percentage of carbs is a good idea. Typically I am around 40% most days. I probably do need to up the protein and eat a little less fat though as I am looking at my percentage breakdown.

Thanks for all the input!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    vmsolko wrote: »
    I haven't started any new exercise. I did recently start wearing a fitbit, so I am probably walking more, but I'm sure that is not attributing to the gain.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • vmsolko
    Options
    Thanks for all those links - I'm sure they will help someone - but that didn't actually help answer any of my previous questions.

I have my Fitbit linked to my MFP account.
    The negative calories are enabled.
    I get an average of 15,000 steps in a day, and when I run or do other step-based exercise, I make sure to log the times correctly so I am not double-counting calories burned. I try to eat only half of my exercise calories back.
    I'm technically about 9 lbs overweight according to the BMI charts.
    None of that really helps when it comes to the transition to maintenance calories.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    vmsolko wrote: »
    None of that really helps when it comes to the transition to maintenance calories.

Set your goal to .5 lb. per week, and eat back your adjustments. Remember all that weight you lost when you started? That's water & glycogen, and you'll gain it all back when you switch to maintenance. Some people lose a few extra lbs. first to compensate.

Your weight will fluctuate in maintenance, so it's important to have a goal range rather than a specific weight. Sync your Fitbit with Trendweight.com (it's free). TW plots a moving average without the "noise" from water weight, and it accurately predicted when I'd reach goal. I've maintained for more than a year with Fitbit, Trendweight, and MFP.