Will adding butter to season my veggies stall my weight loss??

Options
im not putting too much butter just a little I don't like olive oil I used smart balance butter

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Butter is a great idea.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Only if adding the butter cuts into your calorie deficit. I eat butter on my bread and veggies all the time, but I stay within my calorie budget.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    As long as it doesn't take you over maintenance you will be fine. Even better is if it fits within your calorie goal for weight loss.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    As long as you're logging it accurately (weighed/measured, not just throwing in a spoonful or whatever) and including it in your calorie total for the day, how could it possibly matter?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Butter doesn't season. If you use salted butter, I guess the salt in it would.

As long as you're under your calories, you'll lose weight.

If you want to skip the butter, you could try upping the flavor with different veggies and spices. Some onion that was sweated will make everything sweeter and less dry, for instance. :)

But you can have the butter and still lose weight, for sure! :)
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Just measure and log it :) Sometimes when I am having a day higher in fats, I use the I can't believe it's not butter spray. So long as you are logging and weighing and accounting for ALL your foods you should use what you like and be just fine.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Only if you're not accounting for the calories in the butter. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing anything a few months back. Turns out my husband was using about a pound of butter to make my squash. If I had known about the butter and included it in my calorie totals, I would have eaten less of everything else and been fine.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The calories in butter/oils add up fast. They are not a null item that can be added without impacting your calorie intake. If you use 'em, log 'em to confirm you are still eating within your limits. Try Mrs. Dash instead? Zero calories and zero salt.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

If you want to skip the butter, you could try upping the flavor with different veggies and spices. Some onion that was sweated will make everything sweeter and less dry, for instance. :)

I disagree. Butter can season because it tastes awesome, and helps make the foods it's a part of taste awesome too. That's the only way I'll eat most cooked veggies. I guess it's not a seasoning in the traditional sense, but more of an accent? I dunno, I'm not a chef, I don't know the right terms!

And yes, you can add butter to things as long as you fit it into your calories. A couple of teaspoons will only add a little bit of calories, but half a cup would be very bad. Well, unless that actually does fit into your calories, in which case, go for it!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    "to give (food) more flavor or zest by adding seasoning or savory ingredients"

Fat's pretty savory.
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    Only if you're not accounting for the calories in the butter. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing anything a few months back. Turns out my husband was using about a pound of butter to make my squash. If I had known about the butter and included it in my calorie totals, I would have eaten less of everything else and been fine.

Do you think one spoon of butter is not too much??
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I probably eat more butter than every person on this thread combined and have lost 80lbs this year.

Log it, eat it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    rhyolite_ wrote: »

Do you think one spoon of butter is not too much??

Get a digital scale and weigh your butter.

I eat butter several times a day but know exactly how much butter I am eating.

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Weigh it! Your spoonful will not be equal to my spoonful.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    When you weigh out your butter on the scale and then log it into your diary does it put you over on your calories? If not you're fine. If so, either do some exercise to earn more calories or cut back elsewhere to fit in your butter, or go without.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    An easy way to eat veg low cal is to eat them in beef or chicken stock. I buy frozen veggies, put them in a hand strainer and run them under hot water and then nuke them and the beef/chicken stock in the microwave. I mean, butter is yummy, but very heavy on the calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    im not putting too much butter just a little I don't like olive oil I used smart balance butter

If it fits your calorie goal then it is fine.
    Use the amount of oil, butter or spread you want that fits your goal. Measure/weigh it and log it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

I disagree. Butter can season because it tastes awesome, and helps make the foods it's a part of taste awesome too. That's the only way I'll eat most cooked veggies. I guess it's not a seasoning in the traditional sense, but more of an accent? I dunno, I'm not a chef, I don't know the right terms!

And yes, you can add butter to things as long as you fit it into your calories. A couple of teaspoons will only add a little bit of calories, but half a cup would be very bad. Well, unless that actually does fit into your calories, in which case, go for it!

When people say "season", they're not talking butter.

I assume, when you say, "It tastes awesome," that you're using salted butter. The salt would season. :)

It was more of an aside and if people want to say that butter is a seasoning, I'm not going to argue it. I'll agree with it. It's just not a thing. :)
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

If it fits your calorie goal then it is fine.
    Use the amount of oil, butter or spread you want that fits your goal. Measure/weigh it and log it.

But is butter the healthy kind of fat??

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Butter olive oil is available from some specialty olive oil stores. Its a healthy fat, tastes great, and can be eaten by people who cannot consume butter. Great on popcorn & veggies & for cooking scrambled eggs. It contains no butter or artificial flavors--it is made from olives with 'buttery' flavor.