I love the purple ones too!
    18s047iy7959mjpg.jpg
    yes!

It reminds me of your avi!
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Depends on the application of said potato.

In the wrong hands potatoes can be extremely dangerous and should only be handled by trained experts under controlled conditions. They are instruments of destruction. Delicious destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqrAYg30bp8

Haha, this cracked me up!!

Potatoes are definitely a friend of mine.. love them, love them. Unfortunately that can be a problem for me too so I make sure that I just eat them in portion control.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love the purple ones too!
    18s047iy7959mjpg.jpg
    yes!

It reminds me of your avi!

:*:D
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Friend for life! A plain baked sweet potato is actually my favorite, but I love white potatoes too (I usually top a baked potato with salad). I probably eat a potato (in one form or another) 2 or 3 times each week.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    on the 3rd page and no one listed them as frenemies? I'm amazed. I love potatoes though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    vdnny77 wrote: »
    Friend: I LOVE potatoes, especially mashed with butter/salt..(I know, a no no, but yummy!)...however, since I've been diagnosed with diabetes and inverse psoriasis, they are now an enemy, but sometimes I eat anyway, every now and then, but suffer the consequences later on...sigh.....ps...love French Fries!! and Hash Browns!!...

What's wrong with mashed potatoes with butter and salt?? I add milk too - I'm having it for dinner today, and it will be so yummy!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    nanniek1 wrote: »
    Potatoes are very nutrient dense, especially the skin. It's what you put on them that makes them icky for you. Salsa, veggies sautéed in broth or a small amount of cheese on them can replace the sour cream and bacon you may be used to.

I had bacon for breakfast AND potatoes for lunch, and am so far on track to meet my calorie goal.

That said, while I like sour cream I like lowfat greek yogurt as a dip for roasted potatoes just as well (it's an even better dip for apples).

Mostly, though, I eat my potatoes with olive oil, salt, and maybe dill. Not sure why you assume we are putting anything in particular on them, let alone things that are "icky for us," whatever that means.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I like 'em fine, but they're not anywhere near the top of my list. Often I'll pass on fries, for example. Meh.

However, when Mrs Jruzer roasts the little waxy CSA potatoes we get in the summer, all bets are off. Those are freakin' fantastic.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Friend - Skin-on baked, boiled or oil-free sautéed or roasted
    FOE - Fried or loaded (cheese, butter, bacon)

I've enjoyed fingerling and new potatoes from the farmer's market :smiley: ; sweets and the purple varieties are not in-season for my area yet :neutral:
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    on the 3rd page and no one listed them as frenemies? I'm amazed. I love potatoes though.

I'll claim it.

My soulmate is actually the potato... but it's not a very healthy relationship. I'm trying to reverse insulin resistance so I'm really trying to get some more "me" time away from the potato.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied. I'm glad to see that the spud is so well-loved.

I had potato for dinner. Yum. :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Deliciously friendly.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Friend, loving fingerling potatoes at the moment.

I roasted some of those the other day...what I like about them...you can pick them up and eat them like french fries.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I want to try this recipe...as soon as I get a waffle maker...

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/waffled-mashed-potatoes-bacon-cheddar-recipe.html

Waffled Mashed Potatoes With Bacon, Scallion, and Cheddar

tu4ynoglln53.jpg
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    tPqXfXG.jpg
    I cook with bulk potatoes and eat sweet potatoes raw because they taste really good raw.

Smash Burgers has awesome sweet potato fries as well.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Friend, when it comes in small amounts, and depending on how it's prepared. Yes to 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes (bc delish but I can somehow manage this amount), or 3-5 baby potatoes with skin (fiber) & a bit of butter or oil.

Fries, sometimes - portions are usually ridiculous and I just wind up eating them all if I can't sub half for a salad. Mostly no to chips, because there's no end to wanting them, though I do have them every now and then. Poutine, maybe once a month.
  • CookieBev
    CookieBev Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love them, but they sit like a brink in my stomach and I gain a lb. Not so with sweet potatoes so I stick with them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question. It's in inanimate object.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    BFF