5:2 Diet!

Options
its my first day on 5:2 diet heard that it's really works if u want to lose weight, has anyone tried it? How's was it?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Sounds miserable if you like to eat every day. There will be no weight loss difference between someone who eats 1500 calories every day and someone who eats 2100 calories 5 days a week and nothing on the weekend. I would choose the 1500 calorie plan so I could eat every day...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I always thought the 5:2 was more of a lifestyle not diet. Anyway, what matters the most if you want to lose weight is calories in vs calories out. The 5:2 is a method of CICO... you still have to eat less than you burn but they look at a weekly range instead of daily.

@galgenstrick explains it better than I have. Honestly, if you're going to attempt something like this I hope you're well informed and really know what you're doing.
  • PaladinRoden
    PaladinRoden Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey on June 1st and weighed 372. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays and eat normal the other five days. This morning I weighed 328, not only does the fat melt away, all my markers like blood sugar, triglycerides, cholesterol have greatly improved. It was extremely difficult at first but now that I'm use to it I don't even think about and it gets easier each time I fast.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    5:2 is less of a diet and more of a means of achieving a deficit over time. Some people like it because you have a couple days of week at a sharp deficit and maintenance eating the other days of the week.

For example, to lose 1 lb/wk, you need about a 3500 calorie deficit over 7 days. 5:2 puts you at a 1750 calorie deficit 2 days in a week, as opposed to 500 calorie deficit on all 7 days.

As long as you understand where your maintenance level is, how your progress affects it, and you don't feel overly deprived on your fast days, it can be an effective approach.

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I tried it for about a month around the time the program first aired. At first it was rather enjoyable -- I lost weight and I didn't over eat on the up days which is a common concern. But as I went on it became harder to fast on schedule so I stopped. I didn't lose anymore weight than I do eating at a daily deficit.

There are lots of people that do find 5:2 an easy and effective way to create a calorie deficit though and prefer it. Here are some groups that might interest you:

5:2 Fasting
    Intermittent Fasting
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I will confirm what others have said. Any form of intermittent fasting is only an alternative way to arrange your daily or weekly calories. It does not cause weight loss in and of itself, nor will it create more or faster weight loss then eating the same amount of weekly calories spread evenly over all 7 days. What it can do for some is provide a way that makes it easier to stick to a calorie deficit for a long enough time to see results. I often encourage people to give different types of intermittent fasting a try and if they find it convenient or easier to maintain a deficit, they should stick with it. If it seems like a lot of trouble to make work, or it makes them feel bad, then there is no sense in them continuing.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Over two years on 5:2 myself. Lost 28kg and have been maintaining for over a year. Some people do better restricting daily. For me that is recipe for failure. 5:2 helps me and is a tool for life. We have a 5:2 group, if you are looking for support, come visit us.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    raima2011 wrote: »
    its my first day on 5:2 diet heard that it's really works if u want to lose weight, has anyone tried it? How's was it?

• 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    How's it going?
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey on June 1st and weighed 372. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays and eat normal the other five days. This morning I weighed 328, not only does the fat melt away, all my markers like blood sugar, triglycerides, cholesterol have greatly improved. It was extremely difficult at first but now that I'm use to it I don't even think about and it gets easier each time I fast.

this this this!!!! I was eating 1200 calories/day and had plateaued for months. I switched to 5:2 and the weight started melting off. I take in the same amount of calories/week as I did before as I eat 1600-2000 calories on non-fasting days. My blood levels are all greatly improved as well. I also avoid all processed foods. I feel MUCH better with more alertness, energy. I'm off my reflux medications as well. Love this way of living