WAIT is my whole life a lie?!

Options
i read here and people are agreeing with the fact that diet is everything and exersize doesn't factor/matter at all in weight loss!? I get that exercise is nothing without proper diet but it must count for somethingggg!

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    i read here and people are agreeing with the fact that diet is everything and exersize doesn't factor/matter at all in weight loss!? I get that exercise is nothing without proper diet but it must count for somethingggg!

Of course it does. Diet is most important for weight loss, but exercise is important for fitness. It's also useful for creating more of a calorie deficit.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,147 Member
    Options
    You've misread.

Go read that whole thread again ... you'll see that most of us agree that exercise is part of the CO in CICO.
  • neekmichelle922
    neekmichelle922 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You've misread.

Go read that whole thread again ... you'll see that most of us agree that exercise is part of the CO in CICO.

Yeah I didn't realllly read it I was too scared that my gym everyday was a waste lol
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You've misread.

Yeah I didn't realllly read it I was too scared that my gym everyday was a waste lol

It's a long thread, and there's a lot of arguing... just stay out. Suffice it to say that diet is how you lose weight, and exercise is one tool to use while you are doing that.
    also, for more helpful information, read the first post in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The only thing absolutely required for weight loss to occur is a calorie deficit, which can be accomplished with no exercise at all. So yes, technically exercise doesn't matter for weight loss.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you burn makes you lose weight. You don't have to exercise to eat less than you burn, ergo you don't NEED to exercise to lose weight. However, exercising means you burn more, so can eat more and still lose weight, plus exercise is good for fitness and health, beyond losing weight :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I exercise to create a larger deficit, so I can eat more.
    But I lost the majority of my weight with zero exercise. I was less than sedentary :confounded:
  • mccindy72
    Options
    But I lost the majority of my weight with zero exercise. I was less than sedentary :confounded:

Wait, you died?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Wait, you died?

haha no! I was averaging 2000-2500 steps a day, on a good day!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,147 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you burn makes you lose weight. You don't have to exercise to eat less than you burn, ergo you don't NEED to exercise to lose weight. However, exercising means you burn more, so can eat more and still lose weight, plus exercise is good for fitness and health, beyond losing weight :)

+1

• mccindy72
    Options

Wait, you died?

It was a joke, you said you were 'less than sedentary' which is impossible.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Wait, you died?

It was a joke, you said you were 'less than sedentary' which is impossible.

Yeah true. I'm just really ashamed at how little I moved.