Clean Diet? We need to chat.

Options
This past weekend was urrrr not too great for eating healthy. Lets just put it that way. I really want to challenge myself this month, and try to "learn" healthier, cleaner eating habits. I have done pretty well so far. I no longer crave chips,sweets (besides chocolate) etc....So those of you that eat "clean", can you give me an idea of what you eat everyday? I know the obvious, fruit and veggies. But on a day I work out I eat up to 1800 calories, so I am curious to see how ya'll can eat that many cals eating clean!!!

Replies

• TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    What is the official definition of "clean"?! I'd like suggestions too...
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    *BUMP* I'd like to know this also :)
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I feel like I eat pretty clean
    Check what is planned for June 1st 2011
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Often when I have a workout, I'm really short on calories. I'm not really clean. Clean is nothing processed, whole foods, natural grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts... I'm getting better, but not there.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    bumping too cause i am intrested as well
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance, read "Clean Eating" by Tosca Reno. Most healthy, common sense diet and lifestyle book I have ever read.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Here's a great way to gradually change to a clean diet.... I did this when I first joined MFP. Now mind you, I don't eat 100% clean 100% of the time (um today for instance) but in general I try.

This is a great place for folks to "ease" into it. My diary is public if you need ideas - but know I'm not 100% clean.

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    I just started eating clean!! I bought myself a cute little cooler that I pack my food in for the day. I am following the eat clean diet by Tosco Reno. Some must are

oatmeal
    hard bolied eggs
    greek 0% fat yogurts
    natural trail mix
    almond butter
    fruit and veggies
    chicken, turkey, lean meats
    beans

oh and lots and lots of water. This is day 2 for me and I already feel better!! Check out the book. It's fab!
  • penmillion
    penmillion Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    *bump* I want to eat cleaner too...
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    clean means different things to different people.

i try to eat healthy whole organic foods..to me that is clean. although i do eat microwaved or prepackaged foods, i eat the organic ones with real ingredients
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options

you're getting TONS of protein but the only veggie I see is celery? :flowerforyou:
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance, read "Clean Eating" by Tosca Reno. Most healthy, common sense diet and lifestyle book I have ever read.

Ditto - can't say enough good things about this series of books.
  • juliej65
    juliej65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There are great heirloom and ancient grains on the market.... quinoa, amarath, millet... just to name a few... quinoa itself is 160 calories for 1/4 cup only 20 calories from fat and is a complete protein with essential amino acids...

Hope that helps... JJ
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options

you're getting TONS of protein but the only veggie I see is celery? :flowerforyou:

That's today....ultra low carb day. Check tomorrow.
    Also, I supplement my greens....Is that still clean?
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Here's a great way to gradually change to a clean diet.... I did this when I first joined MFP. Now mind you, I don't eat 100% clean 100% of the time (um today for instance) but in general I try.

This is a great place for folks to "ease" into it. My diary is public if you need ideas - but know I'm not 100% clean.

http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/

Thank you, Wifemom! Great link - I really needed that.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just started eating clean!! I bought myself a cute little cooler that I pack my food in for the day. I am following the eat clean diet by Tosco Reno. Some must are

oatmeal
    hard bolied eggs
    greek 0% fat yogurts
    natural trail mix
    almond butter
    fruit and veggies
    chicken, turkey, lean meats
    beans

oh and lots and lots of water. This is day 2 for me and I already feel better!! Check out the book. It's fab!

I like this and it includes fruits/veggies.....thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • ilikeflowers
    Options
    I think my diary is public, I eat about 1200-1800 cals a day, sometimes 2000 and I think I eat pretty clean... make sure you get enough nutrients and have tons of fruits and veggies and lean protein like egg whites, chicken, sushi (not fried and no sauces), lean beef.... I cant stay away from nuts though :) Theyre my weakness! Lots of green tea unsweetened helps and water.
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    There are great heirloom and ancient grains on the market.... quinoa, amarath, millet... just to name a few... quinoa itself is 160 calories for 1/4 cup only 20 calories from fat and is a complete protein with essential amino acids...

Hope that helps... JJ
    what does quinoa taste like?
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I think my diary is public, I eat about 1200-1800 cals a day, sometimes 2000 and I think I eat pretty clean... make sure you get enough nutrients and have tons of fruits and veggies and lean protein like egg whites, chicken, sushi (not fried and no sauces), lean beef.... I cant stay away from nuts though :) Theyre my weakness! Lots of green tea unsweetened helps and water.

I really love almonds. I am going to have to pick some up.
  • juliej65
    juliej65 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a little nutty tasting... It can be used in any dish to replace rice... some people cook it in apple juice and eat it with fruit like oatmeal. It has about 8 grams of protein in a 1/4 cup...there are also rices with high protein like black forbidden rice or jade rice but they are pricier than the quinoa.