Do you buy clothes that are in your goal size?

Options

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    No, but I do pick up some new clothes when my old ones are too baggy. I don't spend too much and I buy things that will forgive some weight loss, but I find that it is very encouraging to wear things that fit. Work is casual, so usually that just means a pair of jeans or two, and some nicer t-shirts. When I get to goal, I'll splurge on some nicer things.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    YES :)
    I always bought clothing the size I was striving toward in my journey to lose 100 pounds.
    I remember how good I felt when I was able to button men size 42 pants after losing 50 pounds. That was my half way point, and today I wear size 32.
    I remember the very day I was able to wear my new clothes as I made that final trip to Goodwill to donate what remained of my transition clothing.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Nope. My ultimate goal was to be a 12/14 at 160 lbs because that's what I was in high school. Due to weightlifting, I'm now a 14 at 200 lbs. Now I'm glad that I didn't spend a lot of money on size 14's because I don't know how much longer that I'll be able to wear them.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'll take a few years to get to fit a large t shirt.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    seems silly to me. buying for the size I am, it's damn hard to find a decent fit. I spend a long time trying things on in the shop to make sure they fit right. in 20 years the fit of my clothing has changed a lot even if the sizing hasn't.

cute clothes are great. poorly fitting cute clothes look tacky.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal size, so no. I plan on wearing my same clothes until they fall off of me, but if I find something great at the thrift store in the next size down, I will grab it. Women's sizing can be so different depending on the manufacturer. I also don't know what's going to look good on me when I lose 20 more pounds.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I never did because I didn't and don't have a goal size. It's not about the label, it's about how it looks on me.

Also, women's clothing sizes are not standard. At any given time I might be able to buy and wear 3 different sizes (sometimes a couple in the same brand!) depending on how it is cut or how aggressive the manufacturer got with out of control vanity sizing.

Plus, if you are trying to get back into a size you were years ago, vanity sizing means that the equivalent being sold today is actually an even smaller number. So if you were a size 6 20 years ago, now that exact same body type might be a size 2.

Just wait till you get there and buy current clothes that you know fit in a flattering way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    I already have clothes in my goal size from when I was my goal size just a few years ago.

In fact, I've got a whole range of clothes from the teensy-tiny me all the way up to the slightly overweight me.

As I drop weight, I've started fitting into more and more of the smaller clothes, to the point now where I'm packing away some of the larger clothes.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I have a few things
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy very much clothing.. just the bare necessities because I have gone through sizes so fast. I have 1 pair of jeans, 2 pairs of workout clothes, 2-3 tops that fit me, and that's about it. Everything else in my closet is either too big or too small. I have picked up a few things too small at thrift stores just for the fun of gauging progress but were talking cheap $5 items and never more than one size down.

I have donated so many things that I was only able to wear for 2-3 months.. I wish I hadn't bought so much stuff new and just did more thrift store shopping along the way. I would have saved a nice chunk of change. Oh well.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No. I buy clothes for immediate satisfaction. I don't get a kick out of looking at something I might fit into someday. I want to put it on asap.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yes I do buy in my goal size but only because I'm at goal ...and that goal size varies by up to 3 manufacturer sizes from a UK 8 to a 12 (US 4 to 8)

I suggest you wait until you are...you have no idea what will fit or suit ...and sizes are so variable from line to line

This.

A few times when I was on my weight loss journey, I did buy clothes in my goal size that I was able to eventually get into....and found I didn't like them! Now, I just buy the size I wear. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    No, because there's no real way to predict your size when you drop 50 pounds. By all calculations I should have been a 6, but I'm a 10-12 depending on the brand due to hips and muscles.

Plus, it's more fun to shop for and see the clothes on yourself when you are at your goal.

Completely agreed.... When I lost 30 pounds I was convinced I would be a US 6.... I'm still a 9-10.... It's so annoying....

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I would wait. Sizing is crazy. E.g. I wore a skirt last weekend(20 year old Emmanuel Ungaro--is he even around anymore?) that has never been altered. Was snug when I bought it. Still snug. Size 8. I'm now a size 0. Some lines, a 00. My daughter bought a size 6 lululemon top for me today that looks about right. It's crazy. I'm the same size but sizing is All. Over. The. Map. You can't know without trying it on. And increasingly clothes are designed for the apple shape, so if you are an hourglass, try before you buy. Bummer, I know.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Sizing IS crazy. I was in Ann Taylor the other day (yeah, I know-but they had a sale) and a size 4 jean was too big on me. Okay. You can see my avatar right now. I'm not smaller than a size 4. That's freaking insane.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Your avatar looks quite low BF%, but I had your exact same comment recently. Bought a Lilly Pulitzer dress. XS. I'm a 5'7" woman. In a XS?? And roomy at that. It's just nonsensical.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Sizing IS crazy. I was in Ann Taylor the other day (yeah, I know-but they had a sale) and a size 4 jean was too big on me. Okay. You can see my avatar right now. I'm not smaller than a size 4. That's freaking insane.

Before I gained my 33 pounds back, I bought a size 6 at Ann Taylor Loft when I knew that I wore a size 8. I try those pants on now and they fall off me. I think Ann Taylor is very much into vanity sizing.
  • arditarose
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Before I gained my 33 pounds back, I bought a size 6 at Ann Taylor Loft when I knew that I wore a size 8. I try those pants on now and they fall off me. I think Ann Taylor is very much into vanity sizing.

VERY. I bought a pair of linen pants there yesterday in a size extra small and a shirt in an xs petite. I know I'm slim now, but come on! I don't like that.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I never ever buy clothes that do not fit the current me. I think it would just make me feel badly about myself.
  • ChristineCherry20
    ChristineCherry20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am happy for you