Do you buy clothes that are in your goal size?

Options

Replies

• ChristineCherry20
    ChristineCherry20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am happy for you

• janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I do buy some things that are alittle snug, or small, because I know they will fit soon, that has already hapoened with me several times, but I do go to a thrift store, I get new clothes cheap and dont care about staying in my big clothes that are baggy and make look fat. Why not look good on the journey? It makes you feel better. To each their own, I couldnt stand my pants big and baggy and looking horrible.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I started at 250lbs, I think I was like a size 16 dress pant? I dont remember now. Anyway - My goal was to lose 100lbs. When I would go shopping for new clothes...I would ALWAYS buy a size or two smaller. It is one of the bittersweet things about losing weight is that you will always shrink out of your current size. I would then try on a fresh pair sitting in my closet for a few months and if they fit - I would throw out the old pair immediately.

Same went for shirts. If they were starting to get too huge, I would just pull a smaller size from my closet and toss/donate the over-sized one. Basically, I always shopped for smaller clothes while losing the weight. I am pretty close to my goal weight now and I am stuck in the "buy smaller clothes" mind-set and I have purchased a little too small now.
  • katieno7
    katieno7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Once I start to fit into a smaller size, I will buy a pair of pajama pants a further size down. That gives me something to try on to know when to buy down again. Plus, since they are pjs, I don't have to worry if they aren't a perfect fit or in the correct season. It's always exciting when they fit though, lol! :smiley:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    No, I don't believe in rewarding myself for something I haven't earned yet.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    No way, for all the reasons people have said.

Also, things go out of style. I think you'd probably be safe with a Lilly Pulitzer dress, especially if it's in like a classic print, but there's no point at all for ordinary mall clothes.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I buy a top I really love, I also buy it a size down.
    (It does not always work out that way, but when I buy shirts in twos, I buy them cheap.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I already have clothes in my goal size from when I was my goal size just a few years ago.

In fact, I've got a whole range of clothes from the teensy-tiny me all the way up to the slightly overweight me.

As I drop weight, I've started fitting into more and more of the smaller clothes, to the point now where I'm packing away some of the larger clothes.

But regarding buying clothes ... I have no idea what size will fit me now, nevermind if I lose a bit of weight.

As others have mentioned, sizing differs so much one store to the next.

Plus, fit differs. I've tried on stuff that "fits" me ... I can zip it up and breathe in it ... but it just doesn't hang right for one reason or another. There are a few things I'll buy without trying on, like sweatshirts, but jeans and dresses, etc. I've got to try on.

Plus, even when I have been underweight, I've never been as small as a size 4 or 6. Even underweight, the smallest size I've been able to get into was about a 10. I have wide hip bones and wide shoulders, and even with no extra padding, I will always have wide hip bones and wide shoulders. This might also be why a lot of clothes don't hang right on me. :)

So if I buy clothes, I have to buy for the "now" me, because who know what a "then" me might be able to wear.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My waist is slimming faster than my thighs so all my work trousers have a baggy waistband while they are still close on my thighs. I have bought a new pair in the next size down which do go on and do up but are a bit too tight on my thighs. I have kept them though because I am hoping to get into them comfortably within a month or so.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of jeans on hold waiting for the weight to drop. One a size smaller than I'm currently wearing, which were a Christmas gift last year and have never fitted. I'm pretty close to fitting in them (they're a skinny style, and my tummy is stubbornly holding onto fat, so it's still a battle to get the zip up)! I'd say in a few weeks they'll fit OK. The others are a pair of jeans that I bought 10 years(!) ago in a much smaller size than even what I was wearing then!! It was the last time I was losing weight, and I had high hopes they would come into service but, of course, I stopped losing weight and have put all that lost weight back on over the last 10 years. I'm quite a while from getting into them, but I'm aiming for this Christmas when they should fit.

I like having just a few items of clothing that will be interim NSVs, and will hopefully keep me focused on inch loss, if the weight loss plateaus, but my gym work keeps the inches going down. However, like others have said, I really don't know what my body will be like at my goal weight, given I have nearly 50lb still to go. That seems so far in the future, that I'm not willing to spend my current clothes budget on things that won't fit for a very, very long time! There are more urgent purchases - new trainers, another pair of sports pants/leggings, and a pair of work trousers that don't feel like they're going to fall down whenever I stand up!!
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I didn't during the process since I didn't know what size I'd be after hitting my goal weight. Started out at US 12/14, thought I'd be ecstatic if I could squeeze in a 6. Somehow ended up in a 2/4, now I'm kicking myself for not buying that $10 size 4P Cole Haan leather jacket from Goodwill :(
  • alasiL
    alasiL Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do yes, I buy at least 1 size smaller and a bit more expensive so I feel bad for wasting my money but also keeps me motivated. I try them on every know and then to see if my waste has shrunk. It gives that bit of a boost
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »
    I have about 50 pounds to go, but I can't wait to start buying clothes in a size 6 or 4!! I already have some from when I was thin. And, I've bought the cutest Lilly Pulitzer dress on Ebay, with a pink perfume bottle print, in a size 4. I have never really been a clothes person, until I got so fat I couldn't wear cute clothes.

Is this a bad idea?? Have you bought clothes that are too small, hoping that you will fit into them one day?

yes! I do this all the time. I find that hanging them up in my room (usually one dress or a pair of pants) gives me a tangible, non scale goal. 'When that bit of clothing fits, I know I'm good'.

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I would wait. Sizing is crazy. E.g. I wore a skirt last weekend(20 year old Emmanuel Ungaro--is he even around anymore?) that has never been altered. Was snug when I bought it. Still snug. Size 8. I'm now a size 0. Some lines, a 00. My daughter bought a size 6 lululemon top for me today that looks about right. It's crazy. I'm the same size but sizing is All. Over. The. Map. You can't know without trying it on. And increasingly clothes are designed for the apple shape, so if you are an hourglass, try before you buy. Bummer, I know.

Clothes from 20 years ago won't be vanity sized.
  • MayaEmProject
    MayaEmProject Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    From one side it's good motivation but frankly I would rather save the money to buy something what really will look good and will make you feel amazing as the body is now. Seriously sometimes fabric quality makes you want to wear it. Planning is ok but focusing on the present and being happy now should be more important either you're anorexic, average or overweight.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't. I buy clothes that make me happy now, which gives me more confidence and reminds me to keep working at it long term. This is probably just something I experience personally, but if I'm uncomfortable in my clothes I usually think about it all day and get cranky. I think it has partially to do with my anxiety. However, when I wear clothes that fit well and I feel like I look nice and can see some of my progress, I am much happier.

I do have some older clothes that are a size or two too small, so I plan on trying those on now and then to see if there's a difference in the fit, so I can see why you would like to have new clothes as an incentive. Whatever works for you!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I thought about this, but so far I've bought 3 pairs of pants that are too big in the waist now and look silly. I'm still hanging on to my "relaxed fit" 40 waist for laughs (actually fit 44"), but just picked up 36" waist and still have plenty of room.

At least I deduct the donation for the pants to the Salvation Army :)

Edit: I do find it inspiring that I can fit in my wetsuit from 15 years ago.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I thought about this, but so far I've bought 3 pairs of pants that are too big in the waist now and look silly. I'm still hanging on to my "relaxed fit" 40 waist for laughs (actually fit 44"), but just picked up 36" waist and still have plenty of room.

Holy crap. So not only has vanity sizing taken over the arbitrary number assignments of traditional sizing, manufacturers are now just straight up lying about the imperial system! Wow.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No I don't especially not for pants since I carry a lot of my weight in my thighs and I'm not sure if the cut will be flattering once I reace my goal weight
  • Geege29
    Geege29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I want to because on a good day it would motivate me. However on a bad day it would make my binging worse I think, so no I don't.

I do have an inspiration board on Pinterest of clothes I imagine I'll want to wear at goal, and I look at it often.