Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

5 weeks and no loss

Options
I'm in need of abit of help guys :/

I've been dieting, going to the gym 5 days a week with a mixture of cardio and weights and eating around 1200-1400 calories a day and no weight loss at all :( I understand that muscle weighs more than fat but I wouldn't have put in that much muscle in 5 weeks and I need to lose around 40lb so it should be dropping off :/

Any help would be great

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary and provide your stats?
  • delij83
    delij83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not really being helpful but having similar issue myself! Been so good with my eating and exercise and scales not budging at all
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost weight in five weeks you are simply not in a calorie deficit.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    delij83 wrote: »
    Not really being helpful but having similar issue myself! Been so good with my eating and exercise and scales not budging at all
    If the scales aren't budging, there's a fair chance you're eating too much.

• alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Done :) well I worked out my metabolic rate online and its 1500 as I'm young and I'm eating less than 1500cals aday and exercising 5 days a week burning around 500+ cals each time so I should be in a deficit
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you're measuring things in cups. Use a food scale for everything that isn't liquid.
    Remember, it's normal for your body to retain water while your muscles repair. This can often mask a loss.
    As per the putting on muscle part. This is an extremely difficult and slow process, that usually requires you eat at a surplus. Someone new to lifting, is able to gain in a deficit and this is what they call "newbie" gains. There are a few other rare instances, someone super obese or an extreme athlete, otherwise, you're not gaining muscle in a deficit.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Change something! Don't get caught up in "this is a diet" because its not. This is a lifestyle change that will never stop. You don't want to be focused so much on the calorie number like below 1200 - 1400 instead focus on the deficit. It only takes a mild deficit to produce weight loss. You must be brutally honest and accurate with logging and with non packaged foods if there is any question over estimate the calories. I lost weight faster if I ate closer but under my deficit number. I also felt really bad when I went way under. Don't be afraid to eat back some exercise calories too. Now back to the change something, If you are not gaining you are close to your number, tweak something. Add a walk after dinner, drink more water, eat more lean meat and veggies and less bread. It doesn't take much to start it moving in the right or wrong direction.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Check your calories. Try half hour high intensity interval training workouts. Drink lots and lots of water and your body will tend not to store water since you are drinking plenty of it. Best of luck