Mrs. Dash instead of salt?

Options
I'm trying to cut sodium from my diet (I'm a salt and spice addict) and I think that it's slowing my weight loss. Anyone try Mrs. Dash? I hate "fake salt" but can deal with it. Just asking others opinions.

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash is much more of a herb and spice blend than a salt replacement. I like it though, the Italian Herb Blend is my go to when I am lazy.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Lots of people use Mrs. Dash. It's one of the best recommendations I received. Most stores don't carry the whole line, but amazon does.

Get the Table Blend (dark green cap) for use in place of salt...and whatever else sounds tasty. The original yellow-cap one is great and the onion and garlic (I think it's blue capped, but not sure) is also pretty darn good.

I started with Mrs. Dash and worked my way into all manner of spices. There are a gazillion out there! You're bound to like some. :)

Much more to flavoring food than salt and pepper. Once you find herbs and spices that you really like, you won't even miss it.

It took my YEARS to conquer salt for good, though.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't slowing your fat loss.

You might look into different kinds of salt -- I use chipotle, cayenne, or sriracha salt a lot. You might be able to get the same flavor boost with less sodium that way.

It might be easier in the long run just to drink a little more water and accept that water weight is always going to be there to some degree, though.
  • haleyjones7
    haleyjones7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love it!!!! I love the garlic and herb, I use it on almost everything!
  • robper13
    robper13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like to use the Fiesta salt free fajita seasoning.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If anything, less salt should reduce water retention.

As I reduced salt, my preference turned to stronger flavoured and fresher foods and vegetables. I use lots of pepper and garlic.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't bother, personally, but there are tons of herbs and spices you can use instead of salt, beginning with things like pepper and paprika. Adding garlic is often a good idea too, or peppers if you like them. If a pre-mixed on (I'd look at other options too, not just well-marketed ones) is your thing, however, go for it. I'd experiment and find out what you like.

Fresh herbs are great and easy to grow, too.