Pregnant and working out during the first trimester?

Options
smwooley
smwooley Posts: 133 Member
Let me just start out by saying that I'm not currently pregnant, but we're thinking of trying again, so I needed to get the opinions of the great minds of MFP members :-)
I have had 5 miscarriages; 4 of them I was working out. (I have 4 kids and didn't work out at all with any of them). My doctor told me with the last 2 (last August and April) that I could work out since I had been already and it wouldn't cause any problems. But I do wonder...
Any one have experience with any of this? Just as an FYI, I love doing weights more than cardio :-)

Replies

• cazcarr89
    cazcarr89 Posts: 34
    Options
    I worked out quite hard during my first 6 months of pregnancy, on the treadmill bump and all!

I would say take it very very easy, walking, lifting lighter weights, swimming etc. If you've not worked out during your successful pregnancies then definately stick to that at least you know it works.

And good luck with number 5 :)
  • chamcmillan
    chamcmillan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am currently pregnant with baby number 4. I teach body pump and run a few miles a week and do spin. I am in my first trimester and have been working out for years so my body is use to it. Being pregnant has not stopped me thus far although I have not experienced any miscarriages because of it, I would agree you can work out, just take it easy.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I worked out my entire pregnancy to include the day I went into labor, however I was in excellent shape prior to becoming pregnant which is why I was able to do this.

If you're even mentioning complications in the past you should be following the guidance of your doctor only, he/she will know what's best for 'you'. Good Luck!